Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Spec E36 Build - 328i

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckersmg View Post
    Looks like it will be a good weekend to work on the car. Lime Rock is gonna be wet and cold. If it snows, I will take the F250 on track.
    Lime Rock Saturday with my snow tires and Sunday is reserved for a full day of working on the Spec E36. Can't beat that...

My Cars
    SE36 #206
    Fan clutch? Consider ditching the mechanical fan and going to a SPAL electric fan.
    Brian
    SE36 #206

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    Quote Originally Posted by bbh03 View Post
    Fan clutch? Consider ditching the mechanical fan and going to a SPAL electric fan.
    Considering Jeff's mechanical abilities (which aren't terrible, but keeping things as simple as possible would be best) I advise keeping the OE mechanical fan set-up. I suspect he will be driving the SE36 to events at first (just as I did) and the OE mechanical fan works beautifully in traffic - even with the OE electric fan deleted. When Jeff gets a truck/trailer set-up I will recommend removal of the mechanical fan for the extra 3-5hp on the top-end. There really is no need for a fan of any kind if the car is used as intended - on the race track.

My Cars
    SE36 #206
    3-5 hp? I wasn't even thinking about that. I wasthinking weight and exploding fan clutches!
    Brian
    SE36 #206

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    3-5 hp? I wasn't even thinking about that. I wasthinking weight and exploding fan clutches!
    LOL. It's all about POWA! The weight is negligible, and an OE mechanical fan set-up is probably equal to or less than an electric set-up. As long as the components are relatively new, I would not expect a failure.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Update: The cooling system upgrade is complete and the A/C system has been removed. Ran into a few minor issues along the way but nothing too crazy. The samco hoses from BW were kinda a bitch to get on and the thermostat was frozen to the block.

Some pics:

Random fan blade jammed into the A/C Comp that was wearing on the drive belt:

My old man's 57 T-Bird was great for placing removed parts:
    Last edited by BMW4LIFE; 10-19-2009 at 10:22 PM.

My Cars
    IP#145, 11 E92, 2500 HD
    How was the fitment of the Ireland? I bet you had some fun with those radiator retaining clips. Thanks again for the Lime Rock 3D Thrill Ride.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    How was the fitment of the Ireland? I bet you had some fun with those radiator retaining clips. Thanks again for the Lime Rock 3D Thrill Ride.
    No problem. Glad to do it. That was a fun day @ LRP and a great way to end the season.

The ireland engineering rad fit pretty well but what I am not happy about is the welds were not great and the expansion tank is now sitting up against the motor.
    Last edited by BMW4LIFE; 10-19-2009 at 10:18 PM.

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    As Jeff mentioned, the rad fitment was pretty good except that the expansion tank now sits pretty close to the engine. I don't see much of a problem, though. Once the engine get solid mounted it doesn't matter. I have to show you the trick to those retaining clips. They literally take 1 second to pop open. If you have to fight with them, "'Yer doin' it wrong."

My Cars
    IP#145, 11 E92, 2500 HD
    Hey Chris, I was doin it wrong then. On the positive side I didn't break them.
    I have about 2 or 3 inches between the tank and the motor. Did you zip tie the shroud to the rad

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    I have about 2 or 3 inches between the tank and the motor. Did you zip tie the shroud to the rad
    Shroud was zip-tied. It seems that the rad is just spaced off the rad support a little more than normal. 1/2 inch maybe.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    After taking a nice long drive in the car and then inspecting the expansion tank it appears to be rubbing quite a bit, enough to wear grooves in it already. And the rad seems to taper out from top to bottom, not sit flush.

Anyone else experience this problem with IE rad or any other aftermarket rad?

Something needs to be done to fix this issue.

My Cars
    IP#145, 11 E92, 2500 HD
    I will take a look at mine tommorow and maybe take some pics. Did you make sure the rubber feet on the sides slipped into the notches on the rad support.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    I will take a look at mine tommorow and maybe take some pics. Did you make sure the rubber feet on the sides slipped into the notches on the rad support.
    Yeah, def. did that. Some pics may help if you wouldn't mine emailing them to me.

My Cars
    IP#145, 11 E92, 2500 HD
    I will do it in the AM as car is in the trailer now.

My Cars
    SE36 #206
    When my poly mount let go, the timing case bolts started to work their way into the coolant tank (during a race of course). Going solid will help if thats an option for you. Wouldn't have expected it on the Ireland. Is the core thicker than stock?
    Brian
    SE36 #206

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    When my poly mount let go, the timing case bolts started to work their way into the coolant tank (during a race of course). Going solid will help if thats an option for you. Wouldn't have expected it on the Ireland. Is the core thicker than stock?
    Jeff is going solid at some point in the future, which will eliminate the close-proximity issue. For now, though, it sounds like the expansion tank is making too much contact for comfort. The rad is an Ireland Engineering unit, which has a 45mm thick core vs 33mm for factory radiator (according to their website). This seems to be causing the interference.

My Cars
    SE36 #206
    I'd like to go to a remote aluminum reservoir at some point. That will also make bleeding easier. I haven't yet gotten around to re-reading the rules for legality though. What setup are you using Chris?
    Brian
    SE36 #206

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    I'd like to go to a remote aluminum reservoir at some point. That will also make bleeding easier. I haven't yet gotten around to re-reading the rules for legality though. What setup are you using Chris?
    I've got an all OE set-up (with new components). OE mechanical fan is still attached, OE electric fan deleted. I'll probably yank the mechanical fan before heading-out to Mid-O.

My Cars
    SE36 #206
    Gotcha.
    Brian
    SE36 #206

My Cars
    IP#145, 11 E92, 2500 HD
    Jeff, here are some pics. If you want some specific ones, let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Ditch that factory expansion tank!

My Cars
    IP#145, 11 E92, 2500 HD
    JC, are you running the Euro tank or an aftermarket?

My Cars
    Aftermarket. The euro tank makes it a pain to get the ECU out if you're in a rush (pit lane).

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Jeff, here are some pics. If you want some specific ones, let me know.
    Thanks Tucker. Seems like I will def. need to figure out why it's tapering out at the top of the rad.

Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    Ditch that factory expansion tank!
    10-4 on that.
    Last edited by BMW4LIFE; 10-20-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast