Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Spec E36 Build - 328i

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TIATO View Post
    Car looked good at NJMP Jeff. Guess your weight loss started during the race when you jetisoned the AA exhaust tip... Welcome to the club.

Front windows will save a bunch of weight, however I would leave the car as is and work on developing you. Race seat time will bring more speed than weight reduction at this point.
    Thanks Mario. I hated that oval tip anyway so I am glad it is gone despite the fact that my trim piece melted.

I agree and will attend as many races as I can to develop my driving skills.

Quote Originally Posted by SR20Fastback View Post
    Are you leaving the rear window glass in? Or do you have something to replace them? Curious to see what you're doing, as I've thought about doing the same thing for the rear windows... but don't have any bright ideas how to keep the glass fixed in one place.
    Yeah, the glass must stay in as per the rules. I used a hose clamp on the window frame to leave it in place. Works well.

Quote Originally Posted by 43bullet View Post
    hey great driving. I had a great time trying to hold you off (131 car)!! But couldn't do it after about the 20 minute mark.

-dan
    Hey Dan! I had a really hard time getting around you. Nice driving. You should convert car to a spec e36 car and run with us.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc951 View Post
    Great car and even better work!

Did you ever figure out the engine power issues or is were you spoiled by the power of the M3 engine?
    Spoiled by the power of the M3 motor! The motor is totally healthy with great compression numbers. And as I said before a diet of 130-140lbs would really go a long way.
    Last edited by BMW4LIFE; 06-28-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2008 TL-S
    If the rules allow it you could trim off a lot of useless metal from the inside of the doors and trunk.

My Cars
    2015 Tacoma, '86 951
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    Yeah, the glass must stay in as per the rules. I used a hose clamp on the window frame to leave it in place. Works well.
    You don't happen to have any pictures of how you did this do you?
    Retired Track E36
    Jet Black 2012 328i

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdrolet77 View Post
    If the rules allow it you could trim off a lot of useless metal from the inside of the doors and trunk.
    Unfortunately, the rules don't allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by SR20Fastback View Post
    You don't happen to have any pictures of how you did this do you?
    I don't have any pics and it would be tough to snap them since it is inside the door frame.
    Last edited by BMW4LIFE; 06-30-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2008 TL-S
    Ya I figured that out after reading the rules. I was wondering how much power the car actually makes in the state it is now...

I guess you're not gonna have a dyno sheet tho I may be wrong. But if you had any indications that could give an idea such as 0-60 time or 1/4 mile results or if anyone actually has the thing :P

Would be nice to have an idea as to how many G's it takes on a skidpad as well as to give me an idea on how competitive it might be in other classes/races since I'm kinda looking to make one of these...

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    I really enjoyed this topic and the YouTube videos! Excellent project that was very well done I have a 1997 328is in red and this got me all pumped to do some more projects on it in my spare time

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RWDTM View Post
    I really enjoyed this topic and the YouTube videos! Excellent project that was very well done I have a 1997 328is in red and this got me all pumped to do some more projects on it in my spare time
    Thanks for the compliment's. Glad you enjoyed the thread and the video's.

My Cars
    n/a
    Mad build dude, can’t wait till I can finally start my track overhaul on the 4 door ,

My Cars
    '10 4Runner, '98 328i
    Fantastic! Just picked up a 97 328 sedan and after being a DD for less than a year, I will be following into SE36.

How's the following? Is it starting to grow? I know it's a relatively new class. Any idea how much you put into it all said and done?

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 9Hooker View Post
    Fantastic! Just picked up a 97 328 sedan and after being a DD for less than a year, I will be following into SE36.

How's the following? Is it starting to grow? I know it's a relatively new class. Any idea how much you put into it all said and done?
    Sorry I missed this post. The class is growing. There seems to be new spec e36 racers at every race.

As far as total cost goes, its staggering. Buy a race car but certainly don't be foolish and build a race car.

My Cars
    '98 z3, '98 328is
    Great thread, very inspiring. I'm considering doing the same, but I added up potential cost for building and its ~$10k. I certainly don't have that right now :/ we'll have to see what happens.
    "If Anderson Cooper is gay, then I'm secretly a liberal." Stephen T. Colbert
    328is Project

My Cars
    97 328i
    [/QUOTE]

Holy! Those are more neglected than a black baby in louisiana!
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 06-13-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: profanity

328i 97' \ 4 prong Bosch plugs, Artich CAI, matte black kidneys, euro corner turn signals,
    fresh AT.E brake fluid, Hawk pads, fresh oil/filter, deleted 200lbs from interior/trunk ...(more to come)
    Best drag times: 60'=2.338 1/8=10.125 1/4=15.762
    My Guide to: e36 seat wiring
    My e36's pics -1
    My e36's pics -2

My Cars
    2005 M3 Wide body + more
    Just because it is a race car does not mean it can't look like a garage queen!

Before:

After:

Im sorry to go back so far in the thread but what did you use to clean under the vehicle to get it so clean?
    Thank you.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceT328 View Post
    Im sorry to go back so far in the thread but what did you use to clean under the vehicle to get it so clean?
    Thank you.
    Ha. No problem. Surprisingly, I get a lot of questions about that through PM so I might as well just post up on my methods. Its really no big secret. 1)Coat the area with acid (the same acid you would use to remove brake dust on a wheel) and all purpose cleaner. 2)Let it sit for a while. 3)Thoroughly power wash the area (I would recommend a powerful gas operated power washer). DONE! Its that easy.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Wide body + more
    Thank you......thats awesome......mainly because its easy.....

This thread has been great inspiration for my own build which will hopefully be making its debut on the 6th July. Just wish we had the accessories (and strong currency) readily available that you guys have. Thank you for posting.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    You are welcome! Glad the thread was helpful. Good luck with your car.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Brake Line nut

Hey there. Very cool build. A lot of inspiration for my own. Thanks for sharing. One question though. What did you end up doing about that stripped nut on the hard line? Just did the same thing on mine and I'm at a loss. Should I just replace the whole hard line? I know it might not be top of mind being 3 years ago and all

I want to install stainless steel lines in the front but I may have stripped the nut on the hard line. How F'ed am I if that is the case?

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by KlausH79 View Post
    Hey there. Very cool build. A lot of inspiration for my own. Thanks for sharing. One question though. What did you end up doing about that stripped nut on the hard line? Just did the same thing on mine and I'm at a loss. Should I just replace the whole hard line? I know it might not be top of mind being 3 years ago and all
    Thank you for the compliments and sorry for the late reply. However, I do not remember what I did. I believed I somehow got it off even though it was stripped.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Damn, I miss this car.....

My Cars
    2002 Z3Coupe 3.0i
    Damn, I miss this car.....
    So do I.....

Clownshoe Diary - My quest for a BMW Z3 Coupe
    1972 2002tii - Malaga
    2002 Z3 Coupe 3.0i - Sterling Gray
    2009 650i - Carbon Black
    2015 228i THP - Estoril Blue
    2019 Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

My Cars
    07 Z33 Nismo
    It's the 3rd time i read though the whole thread.
    Just wanna thank you again, I've learnt so much from this thread

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112