Thread: radio works when it wants too !

Question radio works when it wants too !

Hi Guys, Got this 97 540i with a wierd problem I have never seen before. Sometimes the radio will not power up when you start the car..and the brake lights will stay on. wierd huh? anyone seen this before? I replaced the brake light switch and have checked connections at radio faceplate. Thanks in advance for anyone who may have some input.
    Dave

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318IS
    Sorry to bring up such an old thread but this is the exact same problem that I am having with my 2000 528I. I disconnected the battery while doing some unrelated work in the engine compartment and upon reconnecting it, I now have this problem. The radio will not come on and the brake lights stay on regardless of pedal position. I am stumped, please help!!!!!!

Thanks, Aaron

My Cars
    e46 M3 coupe, e30 325is
    at the brake pedal, you wanna find the microswitch. These wires will send out a 12 volts signal when the brake is pressed down. Could be a sticking switch.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318IS
    Thanks for the reply, just went out to the garage and looked at the switch, it appears to be functioning properly. I am confused as to why the radio stopped working at the same time as the brake lights decided to work overtime. any other ideas???

Aaron