Thread: Rebuilt Title car?

My Cars
    Nissan

Question Rebuilt Title car?

Hey guys whatsup... I am currently looking around for an e36 m3 and have found 1 that I really like. Only problem is that it has a rebuilt title on it due to a theft. 97 white 2 door m3 with 45k miles hes asking $15k. Car looks clean as hell both inside and out on the pictures. I am going to look at it in person this week. Any tips to look out for or ? to ask? And what are guys feelings on a salvages rebuild title? Thanks guys.......

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe
    Rebuilt cars can be a good deal or a nitemare...all depends..the most important thing u wanna do is run a car fax report...it's hell'a worth the $20 bucks. see if the car fax jives with what the seller is saying was repaired. drive the car if he'll let you...around the local streets and on the hi-way. keep the radio off.....keep your ears open for anything unusaul or suspect.....check the Vin and make sure its clean and all the #'s match...also ask to see the receipts of what was replaced and for the parts he used( saves headaches on police stops down the line)....check the area where the computer is located....check the trunk where the spare is located ...look for crinkles and creases....where it may have been repaired. and try and find out where the repairs were done....usually some one at the body shop will remember the car and give you the run down...good luck.

Next Year...No More Mr. Nice Guy!

My Cars
    Clown Car
    Um.....if it was a stolen recovery, it shouldn't have a "rebuilt" title. "Rebuilt" means EXACTLY that......the car was rebuilt after a major accident deeming it unsafe to drive on public roads and highways. Only certain states will give out a "salvage" title to a stolen recovery, check carfax for this info. You can "wash" a salvage title from a stolen recovery, but it requires registering the car in and out of a couple different states.

Grab a carfax.......its well worth the 20 bones. Just know that if YOU are leery of buying it, so will others down the road when it comes time to sell it. Also check insurance, some companies won't issue full coverage for a branded title, others will, but will only cover 50% of the total "current market" value of the car.

Explore all options before making a purchase and do some research.
    "The difference between opinion and propaganda is whether or not you agree with it." - Lewis Black

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe
    Originally posted by DevusM
    Um.....if it was a stolen recovery, it shouldn't have a "rebuilt" title. "Rebuilt" means EXACTLY that......
    DevusM...that may be true in your neck of the woods, but here in New York anything that the insurance company writes off as a loss,whether it was in a accident or theft/stolen recovery is automatically branded as "salvaged/Rebuilt" thats the law here....even if he only had to replace the headlites..once ithas a 907 on it...it's automatically deemed salvaged...it hasnt always been like this...but with so many title scams going on...New York changed the law...on a good note he can always get the title washed like you said...lots of southern states dont give a Phuck as well as Philly.

My Cars
    Clown Car
    It may be different in N.Y., I'm not disocunting that by any means......but this a glossary of terms from carfax.com

http://www.carfax.com/Definitions/Gl...m#SALVAGETITLE

"The following ten States also use Salvage titles to identify stolen vehicles - AZ, FL, GA, IL, MN, NJ, NM, NY, OK and OR."

But "salvage" and "rebuilt" are supposed to be 2 different terms.
    "The difference between opinion and propaganda is whether or not you agree with it." - Lewis Black

My Cars
    '09 E90 328i
    I would try to find a car that had a clean title. However, if this car is really that great a deal, make sure to get it inspected by a professional, and find out for sure whether there ever was any frame damage.

My Cars
    1996 328is, 1908 Buick, 1971 Holden HQ Monaro GTS-
    The other bad part about a salvaged/Rebuilt title is most (if not all) insurance companies won't give you physical damage coverage (collision/comprehensive) on the car.

My Cars
    more space pls kthx.
    A lot of states issue salvage titles for stolen recovered cars.. even if they are recovered undamaged. Then you have to have a salvage inspection done and thge state issues a rebuilt title.

Still murders the car's value tho. I sold a 98 M3/4A with liek 28K mile for $15-16K on a rebuilt title, OTOH, that car had been hit hard and while it was put back together right, it was also largely a total repaint.
    RIP Motorsport Recycling! Long Live //MSR Performance.
    wiseguy@motorsportrecycling.com

My Cars
    Hellrot
    Just my two cents.

Regarding the cleaning of tiltes/ re-titling from being salvage, this is very rare and if at all possible you need major connections to do this for ordinary individuals. LIke having access to someone at the DMV who can bypass certain things and have it work with no alerts. Because a friend of mine worked for the state and about 3+ years ago DMV databases were natioanlly consolidated (all are on the same database, a cop in LA can check your plates from miami in a heartbeat).

This does in fact help out the general public from people who try to re-title but if it's a dealer or a used shop it's a whole different story.

My Cars
    97 M3.13 G37x. 22 Accord
    $15K should buy u a e36 M3 with a clean title. keep looking.

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe
    Well whatever you decide...good luck....just do your homework on any used car you buy...salvaged or clean titled.....let us know the outcome...Pe@ce

My Cars
    Nissan
    Hey guys thanks alot for all the info and help. As much as this seems to be a good deal I think I am going to have to pass on any car that has a damaged title. Id rather spend a few more $$ on a vehicle in which it is clean. Just knowing that there will be no hassle with getting it registered and insurance is worth it alone. Not to mention what I would have to go through when its my time to sell it. Thank-you again guys.........

My Cars
    more space pls kthx.
    Yup.. see my M3 pricing post above. And that sale was almost a year ago.
    RIP Motorsport Recycling! Long Live //MSR Performance.
    wiseguy@motorsportrecycling.com