Thread: Quick Question - ABS Module

My Cars
    1995 325i

Quick Question - ABS Module

Which one of these is my ABS Control Module? The Bentley is very vague and has bad descriptions/pictures

I THINK it's the silver one on the right, but I don't want to just start unplugging stuff.

And here's a shot from underneath...

Thanks guys!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Yes the silverone to the right is your ABS/ASC control module.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Thank you sir. My ABS light came on a month or two ago, so now we're trouble shooting. We had it hooked up to the diagnostics machine at a dealership and they told us that there was an electrical current failure somewhere between the control unit and the hydro unit. Both are expensive, but I hope it's the control unit and not the hydro unit - at least then I won't have to bleed the brakes.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think that a magnet within close proximity of the control unit could damage it and cause the ABS to fail-safe?

From Realoem.com

05 CONTROL UNIT ABS 1 08/1994 09/1996 34521163089 $871.31

Last edited by espguitarist; 08-14-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 328i convertible
    does anyone think that a magnet within close proximity of the control unit could damage it and cause the ABS to fail-safe?
    I am 99% sure it is a simple embedded computer with no magnetic components. It would not be affected by a magnet.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    If you need a replacement ABS control module check ebay. They run around $75. Just make sure you get the correct one. There were several different models of the ABS unit depending on what version of ABS/ASC you have.

My Cars
    E36 racer _ sold
    Check with Strictly German near Road Atlanta for used parts...

Quote Originally Posted by espguitarist View Post
    Thank you sir. My ABS light came on a month or two ago, so now we're trouble shooting. We had it hooked up to the diagnostics machine at a dealership and they told us that there was an electrical current failure somewhere between the control unit and the hydro unit. Both are expensive, but I hope it's the control unit and not the hydro unit - at least then I won't have to bleed the brakes.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think that a magnet within close proximity of the control unit could damage it and cause the ABS to fail-safe?

From Realoem.com

05 CONTROL UNIT ABS 1 08/1994 09/1996 34521163089 $871.31

Laze Fox Racing

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by RNeil View Post
    I am 99% sure it is a simple embedded computer with no magnetic components. It would not be affected by a magnet.
    Dammit. That means I was wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    If you need a replacement ABS control module check ebay. They run around $75. Just make sure you get the correct one. There were several different models of the ABS unit depending on what version of ABS/ASC you have.
    I found a place - Greenleaf Auto Recyclers - that has two of them for $138 with a 6 month warranty and 2 day shipping. I'll probably try and source one locally though

Quote Originally Posted by Laze1 View Post
    Check with Strictly German near Road Atlanta for used parts...
    Don't take this the wrong way, I certainly appreciate your suggestion, but they have horrible customer service and their prices are ridiculous.

I called them about a 3.15 open E36 diff and the guy was rude and wanted $200+ for an OPEN diff. Every time I've called there I've been talked down to, so I don't plan on ever using them.

I want to try Pull-A-Part at some point, but from what I've heard their E36s are usually stripped. Know of anywhere else that's decent?