Thread: aftermarket hardtop?

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe

aftermarket hardtop?

Is there anyplace to go besides the dealer for a hardtop? Are there aftermarket companies that make one? I've only seen 2 Z4s with a hardtop in person and it looks awesome and have decided I want one but I don't want to pay over $3500 dealer prices.

Does anyone happen to know what the CCA discount is on a hardtop?
    Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    There was a guy THIS WEEK selling one on this website. Look him up. He is in Arkansas. I think asking $1,500.

Good Luck
    FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    Yeah he's in Arkansas and unwilling to ship. And I'm unwilling to drive there.
    Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

My Cars
    2007 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    Is there anyplace to go besides the dealer for a hardtop? Are there aftermarket companies that make one? I've only seen 2 Z4s with a hardtop in person and it looks awesome and have decided I want one but I don't want to pay over $3500 dealer prices.

Does anyone happen to know what the CCA discount is on a hardtop?
    There's no aftermarket. Hell, there's barely any market at all. Once current supplies dry up (and I doubt there's much out there), Z4 roadster owners will be pretty much screwed. You'll never get one cheaper than now, before they are NLA.

BMWCCA discount depends on your dealer. Some give you nothing, others give you 25% - ask around. Shipping is why I never got one when I had a roadster - all of them seemed to be in California and no one wanted to ship.
    You had your entire life to prepare for today.

My Cars
    2011 328i JetBlack/Black
    Quote Originally Posted by nlink720 View Post
    There was a guy THIS WEEK selling one on this website. Look him up. He is in Arkansas. I think asking $1,500.
    Good Luck
    Thanks - here is a link to my post -
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1287964

Best!
    Jack

Yeah he's in Arkansas and unwilling to ship. And I'm unwilling to drive there.
    Actually - I am very willing to ship - if you are willing to pay for it (packing materials and freight charges) and accept the condition it arrives in. My zip code is 72116 to check rates. I just don't think it is the safest way to receive it.

I am also willing to drive out from Little Rock a reasonable distance to meet up and transfer to your car.

"unwilling"?

Best!
    Jack
    Last edited by jackb1; 08-15-2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Gainesville, Florida
    BMWCCA - ZSCCA - Florida Sunshine CruZers, Arkansas/Missouri OZark Z Club
    Z Homecoming SC 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
    Previous BMWs - 2000 Z3, 2001 Z3, 2003 Z4, 2005 Z4, 2006 Z4M, 2004 325.

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb1 View Post
    Thanks - here is a link to my post -
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1287964

Best!
    Jack

Actually - I am very willing to ship - if you are willing to pay for it (packing materials and freight charges) and accept the condition it arrives in. My zip code is 72116 to check rates. I just don't think it is the safest way to receive it.

I am also willing to drive out from Little Rock a reasonable distance to meet up and transfer to your car.

"unwilling"?

Best!
    Jack
    Well shipping insurance on something like that would be a lot I would think. (I'll check) and while it's nice you're willing to drive out of little rock a little ways that is absolutely no where even close to me.
    I'm a truck driver but the farthest 'east' I go is Nevada/Utah.
    Last edited by Codeman; 08-15-2009 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i

If you are still looking for a Z4 Hardtop....

Hi-

I am selling my Z4 Hardtop. I live 45min North of Seattle and I see you are in Portland. It is Maldives Blue Metallic. I have the Storage Bag for it but the zipper is Broken. I also have the 2 Block Plates that cover the mounts. I also have the Mesh Windscreen for when the Hardtop is off that I will give you.

My Z4 got Totaled so I dont need the top anymore.

Let me know if you are still looking. Much shorter Drive to Seattle area then to AK.

Asking $1300.

My Cars
    '04 Z4 3.0i
    Hmm, I'm just on the other side of the sound, I might be interested in it...

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by awadsworth1276 View Post
    Hi-

I am selling my Z4 Hardtop. I live 45min North of Seattle and I see you are in Portland. It is Maldives Blue Metallic. I have the Storage Bag for it but the zipper is Broken. I also have the 2 Block Plates that cover the mounts. I also have the Mesh Windscreen for when the Hardtop is off that I will give you.

My Z4 got Totaled so I dont need the top anymore.

Let me know if you are still looking. Much shorter Drive to Seattle area then to AK.

Asking $1300.
    Emailed.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Hi Codeman-

Thanks for your reply. I am glad you are still in the market for the Hardtop.

I have the Hardtop and the 2 Trim pieces that cover the lockdown points when the Hardtop is on the car. I also have the Storage Bag (but the zipper is broken). What I dont have is the Allen Key that is used to lock down the top onto the car. But a standard Allen Key will work or you can probably replace it thru the dealer. It was in the trunk area down with the battery when I got rear ended and I was unable to get to it due to the accident.

It is in good shape except one scratch on the rear glass.

Aaron

Sorry I missed part of your question the Headliner is Black.
    Last edited by awadsworth1276; 08-17-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    04 z4 3.0, 06 e60
    Well shipping insurance on something like that would be a lot I would think. (I'll check) and while it's nice you're willing to drive out of little rock a little ways that is absolutely no where even close to me.
    I'm a truck driver but the farthest 'east' I go is Nevada/Utah.
    What happened to your saturn you were praising a few months back?

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Hey Codeman-

I have several other people intereted that are more local then you. I want to give you first shot but I really need to hear back today. I had to take my cat in to the Vet last night for an emergnecy at 2am and really could use the money ASAP to cover VET Bills.

Call me. I emailed you my Cell Phone Number. If I dont hear from you I will need to sell it to someone else.

Aaron

For the record I was wrong. My top is 482 Toledo Blue Mettalic not the Maldives Blue. I do not have the 2 brackets that are bolted onto the car to lock down the top to.

Left hardtop support - 1 - #54217043963

Right hardtop support - 1 - #54217043964

The parts can be found on the Pelican parts website for around $78 each side. And it take about an hour to install these brackets.
    Last edited by awadsworth1276; 08-18-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    My Hardtop is SOLD. It was picked up last night.

My Cars
    2001 BMW x5
    Did you ever sell your e85 hard top?

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    I see a young lady riding thru my neighborhood regularly in a Z4, red with a white hardtop. I respectfully say she doesn't take as good care of the car as most. I've been tempted to try and get her attention one day and inquire where her top came from. It doesn't look like a factory top.

My Cars
    Parents
    Hi I see this post is from a long time ago but I’m trying to find out if there was a hardtop that was made for the 2003 Z4 2.5 model? I would love to find one if they have made hardtops to be used on the 2003. If there is someone out there that can tell me I would greatly appreciate it. And if there is one out there for sale please contact me. Thank you ��

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    Yes, BMW made hardtops for the Z4's. They will fit all of the 2003 thru 2008 E85 Z4's. They are very uncommon here in the United States and as a result costly.

I do not know if your Z4 is hardtop ready (the extra need parts were installed at the factory) if not you'll need to obtain and install those parts so the hardtop can be installed.

If you check the UK Ebay (search using BMW Z4 E85 hardtop, you'll generally find hardtops for sale. They generally are not costly....however, you then have to add the red tape and cost involved in shipping them to the USA.

Do NOT purchase a Hardtop with a broken rear window, they do not make replacement glass any more.