Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel cuts out at WOT?

My Cars
    96 Cobra

Fuel cuts out at WOT?

Ok, this has been happening for about a month now. It doesn't occur every time I'm at WOT, but it occurs on average about once or twice a week. It happens when I'm rippin through the gears and usually in either 3rd or 4th gear (happened in both tonight). What happens is, at about 4500-5000 rpm's the fuel cuts out ( it feels just like if you hit the rev limiter) and the CE light flicks on. I let off the gas and the light goes off and I get back on the throttle and it pulls just like it did before. I recently installed the AA track pipes thinking that might fix it because I had a feelings that my catalytic converters were clogged with small motor pieces from when my past motor went back in april. That didn't fix it because the fuel cutout happened tonight. My friend suggested clogged injectors, so I'll try injector cleaner. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, the car has an idling problem. Sometimes the rpm's hang in between gears (when the clutch pedal is depressed). Like say I'm shifting at 3k from 1st to 2nd... as I press in the clutch, the rpm's stay at 3k until i fully let the clutch out in 2nd and then the car jerks like I don't know how to drive stick. It also sometimes idles at about 1500-2250 rpms and the only way to bring it back down is to rev it a little bit to drop it back down, otherwise it will stay there. I don't know what to have replaced to fix this problem, is there some idle control valve that I could have checked out? Thanks.
    - Andrew

95 Dakar M3 (SOLD)
    96 Crystal White Cobra
    - a few extras

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    could be a fuel/fueling problem - it sounds like the car is retarding or the anti-knock is going bonkers and killing your timing.

-Ron

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    96 Cobra
    What do you suggest I do to fix this? I'm not too knowledgable with this kind of thing. I could set up an appointment with a BMW dealer to have them fix it, depending on how much its gonna cost me.
    - Andrew

95 Dakar M3 (SOLD)
    96 Crystal White Cobra
    - a few extras

My Cars
    Spaceship
    Get new plugs and clean your injectors (get them cleaned professionally w/ a machine, dont run that injector cleaner crap through your fuel system).

I had the similar problems awhile back, albeit a bit less serious.
    -Jarrett

'04 Scoobaru STi
    Cobb Stage 2 Accessport, HKS 3'' Catless DP, Helix 3'' Catback, Progress Coilovers, Cobb 25mm R. Sway, Cobb Formula Street/Track Pads, Whiteline Diff. Bushings, Rota Torque 17x8 w/ Hankook RS-2, Omori 60mm Boost Gauge, Ricer Wing.

My Cars
    95 M3, Toyota 4x4 & 02 R1
    What kind of chip do you have if you have one???

My Cars
    85 325e, 95 M3

Are you saying that...

Originally posted by b0rf
    Get new plugs and clean your injectors (get them cleaned professionally w/ a machine, dont run that injector cleaner crap through your fuel system).

I had the similar problems awhile back, albeit a bit less serious.
    there is a downside to using techron? I've used that in my 325e and my 95///M with no problems. I've heard rumors that it can FU your O2 sensors, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks for feedback,

Hank
    1995 M3 Alpine White 4/94 production date. Clear Corners, E46 metal pedals, X-brace, Euro Floating Rotors, Motorsport Strut Brace, H&R Coilover Suspension, Kmac Camber Plates, Ground Control Adjustable Sway Bar End Links, UUC TME's, UUC TSE, JC Euro HFM, ZKW's + DDE's, Powerflex RTAB (thanks Mrob Gang) Clear Projector Indicators, New window molding and sill rubber. Bavarian Silver Powder Coated Original Motorsport 10 spokes. Benfer Performance Black Powder Coated OBD-I Valve Cover.

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    No downside, but Techron or any additive is really a preventative measure, helping the injectors stay cleaner.

But once injectors get dirty/clogged, the additives are of little help. Thats when you want to clean or replace them.

And Drift, sounds like you diagnosed your other problem, your ICV may need cleaned or replaced as well. Do a search on ICV, quite a few threads about how to clean or replace it.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    m3
    Originally posted by bench mark
    What kind of chip do you have if you have one???
    I have a shark and think I have notice this at wot in 2nd gear. Any ideas? or care of elaborate on your question? please?
    "The main thing about money, Bud, is that it makes you do things you don't want to do."

"The great difference between us, Angelos, is this: you believe you have found salvation, and believing this, you are saved; I believe that salvation does not exist, and believing this I am saved."

My Cars
    96 Cobra
    I know I have a chip, but I'm not sure what kind. The previous owner had one installed, and I purchased the car from a dealership so they didn't even know it had one. The reason I know this is because my rev limiter is around 7000 or 7300 or somewhere in that general area. I know this because I accidentally let it slip into redline a couple times and on my friends M3 with no chip the fuel cuts out right at the tip of redline. Is there anyway to find out what brand I have? Would it say it on the chip itself if I go pull it?
    - Andrew

95 Dakar M3 (SOLD)
    96 Crystal White Cobra
    - a few extras

My Cars
    95 M3, Toyota 4x4 & 02 R1
    yes it would say on the chip, take a look and let me know if you get a chance. I would like to know if you have an AA chip. Here is how to do it.

http://www.aatuning.com/software/ecu-instructions.asp

My Cars
    96 Cobra
    I just checked out what kind of chip I have... its a Turner Motorsport chip.
    - Andrew

95 Dakar M3 (SOLD)
    96 Crystal White Cobra
    - a few extras

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    can't go wrong with a Turner chip.

how old are your plugs?

My Cars
    96 Cobra
    The plugs should be about 3 months old. I say should because I got a brand new rebuilt motor straight from BMW on a warranty replacement back in June. The dealership that did the warranty work did some crappy work which ended up costing me $1000 in repairs of some other stuff. I'm getting the ICV cleaned tomorrow morning and I'm gonna attempt the STP injector cleaner. If that doesnt fix it, I'll have them professionally cleaned or possibly get new ones.
    - Andrew

95 Dakar M3 (SOLD)
    96 Crystal White Cobra
    - a few extras

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    3 month old motor from BMW on a warranty replacement?

if that's right then you now have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the rebuilt motor. that warrany comes straight from BMW NA and you also have a warranty on the labor.

go back to your dealer and let them figure it out....and enjoy the loaner car.

My Cars
    96 Cobra
    lol, I'm a little hesitent about taking it back to the dealership where I bought the car... they reluctantly replaced the motor under their warranty adn then decided to put only 3 bolts that connect the driveshaft to the tranny. And on the way home from getting the motor in, the driveshaft spun loose and snapped my shifter in half.
    - Andrew

95 Dakar M3 (SOLD)
    96 Crystal White Cobra
    - a few extras

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    damn!

well being that it's a BMW NA warranty, you DO NOT have to go back to that same dealership. .....remember? lol - good luck buddy, it sounds like your current dealership has a few loose bolts of their own.

-Ron

My Cars
    TSX, Super Duty
    Pull codes in the DME, if the check engine light came on, the a code is stored in the DME. Had a customer with a similar problem, with code for short to air flow meter, ended up being a short in the DME itself, which had to be replaced. Hopefully you can fix it up!

Nate

My Cars
    96 Cobra
    After thinkin about attempting to clean the ICV because I'm a little short on cash right now, I opted to not do that. Mainly because the only way I can even think of getting to it would be to remove the entire intake manifold which would be a real PITA. I'm going to buy a new one and have my mechanic do that and just take the money out of my account because this idle problem is really concerning me. As for the injectors.. I just purchased a set of 21.5# injectors from a 97 M3, and because they are used, I'm gonna have my mechanic clean them as best as he can before he puts them in. Might as well have him install them too because hes a friend of mine and labor is dirt cheap . The reason I opted to get the higher # injectors is because even though I don't have too many mods, I probably gained a decent amount of hp with what is done to the car, and from my understanding, once you reach a certain limit, the stock injectors don't put out enough fuel. Should I go ahead and order new plugs while I'm at it? Or test the new injectors and ICV to make sure it all runs fine before dumping more money (even though plugs arent too expensive) into the car? I'll let you guys know what happens.
    - Andrew

95 Dakar M3 (SOLD)
    96 Crystal White Cobra
    - a few extras

My Cars
    96 Cobra
    TTT anyone?
    - Andrew

95 Dakar M3 (SOLD)
    96 Crystal White Cobra
    - a few extras

My Cars
    325is 94
    sound to me like the o2 sensor(s).
    my 325 did the same thing when I first bought it.
    scott Freedman 94 325is tons of miles in Grun frosch (froggy green) :krakrani:

My Cars
    96 Cobra
    Would the o2 sensor cut out fuel though? I thought all it did was flick the CE light on if there was a problem. The light comes on, but the fuel cuts out just as if u hit the rev limiter. I'm going to have the injectors installed this weekend when I get them in the mail, hopefully that will fix the problem.
    - Andrew

95 Dakar M3 (SOLD)
    96 Crystal White Cobra
    - a few extras

My Cars
    96 Cobra
    Ok I have another quick question, will the 21.5lb fuel injectors work in my car if I don't have a euro HFM? My brother was saying that when you upgrade the injectors you need to upgrade the mass air meter. I have the injectors on the way but can always order the HFM if needed. Thanks.
    - Andrew

95 Dakar M3 (SOLD)
    96 Crystal White Cobra
    - a few extras

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    Those injectors WILL NOT work without new software on your S50.

AA is the only company that makes software for 21.5# in a 3.0, and to get new off the shelf software that works with 21.5# injectors, you'll need to buy a 3.5" HFM as well as AA software.

If all you're wanting to do is replace your injectors, just buy the stock 17.5# ones.

The 21.5# route will set you back the cost of a Euro/540 HFM, and AA's software price, on top of whatever you're paying for your 21.5# injectors and cleaning.

Euro HFM with reducer is about $300 if you get a used setup.

AA software is $399, can buy it for $250 or so used on the boards, if you get lucky, and it's also for the same ECU your car has.

Long story short, 17.5# injectors are fine (provided they're in good shape) for an M3. The only time you want to go bigger is if you step up to the Euro HFM setup, or go with cams. And of course if you go Forced Induction, which is another story.
    Last edited by Croak; 09-10-2003 at 01:21 AM.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    Have you checked Fault codes via 5 step shuffle?
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    96 Cobra
    Ok, well say that the only mods done to the car when I bought it were TMS chip and Borla exhaust... with what I have done now, will I need to get a new chip while I'm at it? I think I'm going to just sell these injectors right away and eventually get 24# injectors and the HFM kit along with a new chip. But I was just curious if my chip isn't calibrated to what it should be with the mods that I have on my car.
    - Andrew

95 Dakar M3 (SOLD)
    96 Crystal White Cobra
    - a few extras

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast