Thread: HELP how do i disconnect the alarm?

My Cars
    1998 328is, 07 YZ450f

Exclamation HELP how do i disconnect the alarm?

My co-worker needs his stock alarm disconnected and doesnt know how to do it. If you know how to do so please inform me... It is a 2003 525i...Thanks a ton!
    gingerE36dude

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Why would anyone need their alarm system "disconnected"? Is it false triggering? Giving some context to a question can be more beneficial...because there may be an easier solution someone else has discovered. There may be a simple solution...instead of disconnecting the system totally.

Have they checked to see if their hood sensor is false triggering? It's located on the front side of the driver's side microfilter (near the windshield). It has a tendancy to fail over time from dirt/grime etc...and sometimes the insulation (that it pushes into) on the hood has partially worn away, thus not pushing the pin all the way in. I would have them disconnect the hood sensor first to see if that ceases the false triggering (if this is the problem).

Instructions On Accessing the Car's Alarm Siren:

Remove the rear passenger wheel and wheel liner...you will then see the car's alarm siren (#6 in diagram below) mounted high to the upper right...then disconnect the electrical harness (#11 in the diagram).

Here's an instructional write-up (from bmwtips.com) on how to "change-out" the alarm siren...you can extrapolate from this write up on how to access the siren to just unplug it: http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/t...eplacement.htm

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-13-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I think you can pull a fuse as well, but Q is right. Try to troubleshoot the problem first (if there is one). Chances are the problem is a fixable one.
    Why does my alarm keep going off for no reason?
    *towed*

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    I removed the fuse from mine as I wanted to lock the car but really have no use for the alarm besides the intermittent issue of the alarm going off for no obvious reason(about one in every 5 times I set it) the only way to find out what caused it to go off was to spend $100 at the dealer, considering I dont need the alarm i just de fused and now I am very happy with my keyless entry system.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    1998 528i SE
    Hey NNY528i, I have the same problem and would like to take your approach. What fuse did you pull? Please let me know ASAP 'cause this thing is driving me nuts.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Open your trunk and look on the back of the door to the battery compartment. You should see a fuse index/diagram for the fuses in the trunks fuse panel that should be located above the battery.

First, look for the fuse that would control the alarm...then look at the diagram which will show you the location of that fuse's number within the fuse box and what amperage the fuse is. Reach over to the fuse box to find the fuse/fuse number then pull it out.

EDIT: below is the rear fuse box index...I have a Touring...so you may want to double check yours just in case it is different:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-25-2009 at 07:13 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by NNY528I View Post
    I removed the fuse from mine as I wanted to lock the car but really have no use for the alarm besides the intermittent issue of the alarm going off for no obvious reason(about one in every 5 times I set it) the only way to find out what caused it to go off was to spend $100 at the dealer, considering I dont need the alarm i just de fused and now I am very happy with my keyless entry system.
    So you tried all three solutions and none of them worked or did you just not care to spend the money on the new sensors or alarm siren?

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    So you tried all three solutions and none of them worked or did you just not care to spend the money on the new sensors or alarm siren?
    Actually I just didnt want an alarm. Its not like anyone can steal the car and noone really pays attention to them anyway. It annoyed me all the chirping and unchirping. It just didnt serve any purpose.

PS I didnt post the thread.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Actually I just didnt want an alarm. Its not like anyone can steal the car and noone really pays attention to them anyway. It annoyed me all the chirping and unchirping. It just didnt serve any purpose.
    I understand.
    PS I didnt post the thread.
    I was aware of that but curious.

My Cars
    1998 528i SE
    Thanks guys. I didn't even know I had a fuse box in the trunk...

My Cars
    2003 525I/1965 BUGGY
    anyone know in what part of the car the alarm is located? i'm looking for the brain not the siren.

i need to know if the alarm has an extra + or - output so that other parts can be added to it.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I don't think there is a dedicated "alarm brain" (hopefully somebody can correct me if I'm wrong). The car has a BUS system where multiple components communicate over a particular BUS with certain components acting as a control module or "gateway" for a group or cluster of components.

For example, the GM III (general module) is a major controller for the FZV (keyless entry) and DWA (alarm anti-theft system). But it also is directing info to other components as well. If I remember correctly, you asked a similar question in another thread (about wanting to "add" things to the system)...I'm not sure if that is possible unless you are familiar and competent with programming stuff and changing cirucuit boards etc to route information within the BMW BUS system architecture.

If the alarm siren detects a drop in voltage, it will set off the alarm. Where does it get that information from..the ECU/DME, the GM, the OBC? And if so, how would one go about adding something to the programming of those components?

I'm not saying it can be done, just not sure how one would go about it.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************************
    The e39's alarm system isn't like the one in the old E34 5 series which had a "brain" located under the rear seat.

(old BMW/Alpine keyless entry/alarm system in the E34/E32/E36)

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-28-2009 at 04:59 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525I/1965 BUGGY
    thanks Qsilver7

what i wanted to add was a small but very loud siren that is installed on top of the steering wheel col. i had it in almost all my cars. when the alarm goes off you can't stand to be in the car. it make you feel like your ears are bleeding. i might be able to hook this up to the bmw siren.

2nd they sell a part that when you lift any of the outside door handles the alarm will also go on. i might be able to hook this up to the hood pin.

this is the reason i was looking for the brain to see if it had any input or output that could be used.

i think after seeing that pic you just posted i might just go to the dealer and see what they have to say.

thanks, Freddie

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITE E39 View Post
    thanks Qsilver7

what i wanted to add was a small but very loud siren that is installed on top of the steering wheel col. i had it in almost all my cars. when the alarm goes off you can't stand to be in the car. it make you feel like your ears are bleeding. i might be able to hook this up to the bmw siren.

2nd they sell a part that when you lift any of the outside door handles the alarm will also go on. i might be able to hook this up to the hood pin.

this is the reason i was looking for the brain to see if it had any input or output that could be used.

i think after seeing that pic you just posted i might just go to the dealer and see what they have to say.

thanks, Freddie
    Kind of overkill and silly in my opinion. These cars are near theft proof with the way the keys work(If they have a key to start the car then the alarm will be off anyway otherwise no steal) so having the car stolen is really not realistic, the stereo system is not easily removeable so they are not targets of that type of attack either So i have to wonder what on earth you are protecting the car from with your mega siren thing.

My Cars
    2003 525I/1965 BUGGY
    funny but the siren is small, maybe 2"x2" but very loud. just think they can get in but they can't do anything because they have to put thier fingers in thier ears besause the high pitch sound. just think if they pull on the handle the alarm is going off and they didn't even get a chance to get in.

i don't have much on this car maybe $5k but you have people coming from other towns (10mins away on highway) that come shopping for car, parts, stereo & wheels after hours. i like to do the most i can to keep my stuff.

in the past i have spent alot of money on my cars. i have spent over $15k in to one car (really a few cars) and that doesn't include buying the car. $10k in to a harley not including buying the motorcycle. i have spent close to $1k just on an alarm system.

in the last few years i have been slowing down, maybe i'm just getting old. maybe i'm running out of money.

my last toy that i still have i got for my kids and paid $10k for it 3 years ago. i have spent another $7k in to it. the price on kids smile is priceless. the sad part is that it's worth more then my 2003 525I BMW with only 47k mls. and it doen't have an alarm.

i'll try to get a pic.

Last edited by WHITE E39; 08-28-2009 at 09:55 PM.