Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hood Release Cable Replacement (Hood Release Lever to Junction Box)

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    So I finally did this preventive maintenance. I have no issue but my experience with many cars is that once you reach 120K-150K, the hood cable is on borrowed time. Plus I don't want to deal with this in the winter.

NOTE that if you ever break the cable, it is mostly from failure to lubricate the 2 latches near the radiator, when the latches are stiff, this puts a tremendous amount of force on the cable, especially in the winter when everything is tight.

Anyway, my stock cable at 150K looks OK, but I didn't want to take any chance.
    So I bought the hood cable for $25 and the plastic lever for $5 at local dealer.

The O.P., larinah is right: if you remove the trims next to the steering wheel and remove the knee bolster protection cover, life is ALOT easier!!!

- Photo #1 shows parts.

- Photos #2 shows the 5 Phillips screws for the cosmetic cover

- Photo #3 shows the Dead Pedal. The key thing is: once the trim screw is removed (the plastic trim screw next to the release lever), pull the Dead Panel toward the CENTER of the car, the pull it toward the driver's seat!

- Photo #4 shows the hood cable retaining screw: Torx #20. Don't forget this screw, if you do, you won't be able to open the hood.

E39-Hood-Cable-01.JPG

E39-Hood-Cable-02.JPG

E39-Hood-Cable-03.JPG

E39-Hood-Cable-04.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    - Photos #5 and #6 show the firewall connection, just push it in with a screwdriver.
    During installation, add one drop of oil on the grommet, it will slide through a lot easier.
    Note that the sheet metal sits in the groove (red arrow).

That is it...

E39-Hood-Cable-06.JPG

E39-Hood-Cable-05.JPG

My Cars
    85 M635, 98 Z3, 00 528iT
    I wanted to add my comments as I just finished this up. In general it was as described above. I would only add that when pulling the side panel out, pulling it towards the center as described above, literally means center of the car, not middle of the car. I interpreted as "middle" and pulled 90 degrees from the side of the car. It is more like 45 degrees towards the rear, so sideways and rearward at the same time.

Another note I'll add, while this cable broke on me, I am convinced the middle cable was the cause of it as that cable had to be manually slid back (towards the front of the car) to release the spring looking pieces that keep the hood locked in place. So while I was working on the cable connected to the handle, I hung the middle cable such that the end was pointing upwards and kept adding more gear/cable lube every few minutes so that the lube would make its way down the cable run. I also added some lube to my new cable. Finally, I filled the plastic trough where the cables connect with grease to help it slide. We'll see how long this lasts me. I currently have 240k miles on my wagon.

Hope this is helpful.

Eric

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12