Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Subframe bushings. Once and for all. Which is best for a street/track car?

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo

Subframe bushings. Once and for all. Which is best for a street/track car?

So the final piece to my project's puzzle is the subframe bushings. I really don't want to go OEM simply because of the hassle of reinstallation. I've heard people having issues with the Powerflex bushings and their washers. I also know there's a few different versions of the Powerflex bushings.

I don't want to do solid because this IS still going to be a street car somewhat regularly.

Car is a 93 318 with 95 m3 running gear (subframes, trailing arms, blah blah blah, everything.), currently have THR eyeball arms up front, TMS solid diff bushings out back, OEM RTAB with TMS limiters, stock control arms and all new balljoints.

I don't like the idea of stacking washers and what not just to get a bushing to fit right. I want something that is stiffer than oem, won't wear out and crack quickly, and the ease of installation of a poly bushing.

Make your recommendations and share your experiences!

My Cars
    99 M3
    I installed powerflex subframe bushings. I don't recall any issues with the washers and haven't had any issues since. Installation was a breeze and its the route I would recommend. You would have to be crazy to install solid bushigns if the car is still driven on the street.

My Cars
    '04 330i ZHP & '71 911T
    Solid......if you think you're man enough.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Unless you've also had the M3 trunk floor reinforcements welded in, you want to be conservative about using harder subframe bushings. I'd either use stock M3 parts, or else nothing harder than PowerFlex purple/sport poly bushings.

Neil

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Plates are in fact going in, so no worries on the poly. Just wanted to make sure I order the right ones.

My Cars
    trucks now
    Anyone have experience with the UUC ones?

My Cars
    98 M3 GTS2
    Quote Originally Posted by EastBayBimmer View Post
    Anyone have experience with the UUC ones?
    Or the AKG poly?

My Cars
    95'M3
    I have a friend with solid bushings on his 240SX/S14 rear subframe. Its really not that big of a deal on a street driven car. Your results may vary with solid diff mounts though.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post

I don't like the idea of stacking washers and what not just to get a bushing to fit right.
    The P lex washer issue is not a "fit" issue, so much as a weak part issue. The supplied washers are too thin/weak and cup over time. Stacking the supplied washers with the OE ones resolves/prevents the problem.

P flex purps
    Garrett

My Cars
    '08 Z4MC, '95 325i
    Granted I have yet to track the car, but I am very happy with the UUC poly subframe mounts. I can't compare to anything other than stock though. They help to put the power down very nicely, and they aren't harsh at all IMO. For reference, the car also has delrin diff bushings, poly motor/trans/RTABs, and a completely refreshed/rebuilt suspension. HTH!
    Last edited by dswads34; 08-07-2009 at 11:08 PM.

My Cars
    93 332is Turbo
    I have reinforcement plates and aluminum bushings on my street car. They were pretty damn loud for the first few days, then I got used to them.
    stock is the new mod

My Cars
    325i, buzzy jap crap
    Quote Originally Posted by VengeanceM3 View Post
    Or the AKG poly?
    I've got the AKGs and reinforcement plates. NVH is just about the same as stock, installation was pathetically simple, and the back seems a bit more solid. One thing I've noticed, though, is that I have the thuds symptomatic of subframe failure ever since I did the install, but that may be the AKG poly diff bushings that I installed at the same time, and everything is structurally sound.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    the powerflex race ones are what i have.. i like them but the washers are absolute trash, you cant even think about using them the way they are.
    1994 325is - s50/zf trans/TRM chip/s52 headers/21.5lb injctrs/3.5 HFM/M3 brakes/billy sports/hr springs/reinforced subframe/camber plates/adj ctrl arms/3.15 LSD
    2004 Volvo s40 T5 - Daily
    2000 GMC k2500 5.7 - 33's/frame off resto'd
    1989 Chevrolet k2500 5.7 rclb

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    I replaced EVERYTHING in my rear suspension. The last thing I tackled was the subframe mounts. I got two out and painstakingly got two OEM mounts back in. After that I called it quits!!! The old mounts were not worn out. They had ~107K miles on them and the car is a '98. Are yours really worn out? I think these are the only suspension bits BMW designed NOT to wear out.

If they are actually worn out, I would run the purple Powerflex. I would just re-enforce the weak washers with the OEM washers or regular bolt washers. I would weld the two together though.
    Last edited by M3 Muscle; 08-09-2009 at 02:49 AM.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    I'm just so sick of the E36 drivetrain lash/clunk. The last things I had to replace before I wrecked the M3 was subframe mounts, all the balljoints out back, and the driveshaft. I'm doing all of that now, and I want a solid rear-end. I don't want any god damn clunks from throttle inputs. So Powerfles purples with reinforced washers it is.

If they start clunking I am personally going to hunt down you all.

My Cars
    1994 325is, 2006 A4
    Are you sure your clunking is coming from the rear end? I run stock 325 subframe bushings and stock diff bushings, and have no problems whatsoever. I found most of the drivetrain lash / windup in the e36 was a result of the dual-mass flywheel and soft engine and transmission mounts.

The two pieces of the dual-mass move relative to each other, which contributes to the driveline lash. It is, however, wise to be careful about using a single mass unit as the dual mass does serve a purpose in that it reduces internal engine vibration (and problems like loosening bolts and nuts, broken parts, etc).

My Cars
    1994 325is
    i dont see why you would go with the purple personally, i dont even notice any vibration with the black race bushings and im willing to bet they will last much longer. A lot of people say that the thing that makes the most noise in the rear is poly diff bushings.
    1994 325is - s50/zf trans/TRM chip/s52 headers/21.5lb injctrs/3.5 HFM/M3 brakes/billy sports/hr springs/reinforced subframe/camber plates/adj ctrl arms/3.15 LSD
    2004 Volvo s40 T5 - Daily
    2000 GMC k2500 5.7 - 33's/frame off resto'd
    1989 Chevrolet k2500 5.7 rclb

My Cars
    2000 323ci
    Get you some uuc red racing tranny mounts, it'll make a big difference as far as drivetrain movement.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    I already have a JBR Ltw Fly, UUC Black mounts with enforcer cups, fresh motor mounts, blah blah blah.

If you put your hand on the rear floorboard in 2nd gear and tapped the throttle it sounded like someone was whacking the car with a mallet.

diff bolt is/was fine.

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    I'm just so sick of the E36 drivetrain lash/clunk.
    I can ALMOST promise you that the differential bushings are not causing a 'clunk'. When I actually had a clunk you could feel in the floorboard, I had a broken tranny mount. It felt the EXACT same way...felt like someone hit the floorboard with a rubber mallet. That took 6+ months to find since I kept snooping around in the rear end.

My RTAB's were shot, and I still didn't have a 'clunk'. The only thing suspension wise that might have been considered as a clunk, was worn out control arm ball joints. I didn't notice them when I replaced my RTAB's so I was able to isolate the problem.
    Last edited by M3 Muscle; 08-09-2009 at 03:42 PM.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Muscle View Post
    I can ALMOST promise you that the differential bushings are not causing a 'clunk'. When I actually had a clunk you could feel in the floorboard, I had a broken tranny mount. It felt the EXACT same way...felt like someone hit the floorboard with a rubber mallet. That took 6+ months to find since I kept snooping around in the rear end.

My RTAB's were shot, and I still didn't have a 'clunk'. The only thing suspension wise that might have been considered as a clunk, was worn out control arm ball joints. I didn't notice them when I replaced my RTAB's so I was able to isolate the problem.
    My tranny mount is fine. Rear balljoints very well may have been the cause, I'm pretty sure they're still original, and the original rubber bushing style outer lower control arm bushing is in there currently, not a balljont...so that's probably original as well.

got all new balljoints and everything for out back...I'm just lazy and havent pulled the subframe out to do them all yet.

My Cars
    1996 BMW E36 M3/2/5
    Ok so I have a 96 M3/2/5

Im running UUC ltw flywheel w/m5 cluch
    H&R Race w/ Bilsteins
    I know my rear subframe has been reinforced.

Now what do you guys recomend for bushings?
    Motor/ tranny/ rear end etc etc.

Something good and fairly priced, thank you!

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    motor...I'm running vorshlag nylons in my race car...my street cars are running power flex in the front and rear and UUC Blacks with enforcers for the tranny.
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Roadster
    I've got the AKG's - great quality pieces and no noticeable increase in NVH with substantial increase in rear end stability. Highly recommended.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I did PF Race "Black" Subframe bushings, so far so good. I did double up the washers and weld them together.

Mike... aka Track Junkie
    '98.5 M3 Coupe Titan Silver

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast