Thread: Dye-ing your own Brake Fluid?

My Cars
    1996 328is

Dye-ing your own Brake Fluid?

SuperBlue is pretty expensive compared to regular DOT4, but it being blue is very convinient for flushing.

Maybe we can have the best of both worlds? I was thinking about adding a few drops of blue food coloring to my next bottle of DOT4, but then I remembered that food coloring is water-based. However, it would only be about 5 drops in a 16oz bottle. Really not much.

A second consideration would be the dry powdered dye from RIT. I would imagine that just a pinch of that stuff would give the fluid enough color, without adding water.

What do you think? Would a pinch of RIT Dye be safe?

Summer 2017

My Cars
    2000 528ia-2001 5sp 330

loco

are u out of your mind??? we call that loco(crazy in the head) here in tucson-leave it red or change it to blue fluid

My Cars
    1996 328is
    err... 1. brake fluid isn't red. 2. calling me loco gets this thread nowhere.

It's pretty obvious you really don't know one way or the other, and are just giving a knee-jerk reaction. I'll wait for an answer with some explanation and proof, thanks.

Just think: what does ATE dye their SuperBlue with? I'm pretty sure it would be along the lines of a dry powder.

Summer 2017

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Putting anything in your fluid is crazy. You put that powder in then how are you going to mix it? How are you going to be sure it doesn't react with the fluid and turn to sludge a week later. How are you going to be sure it doesn't gum up the Master or calipers or the clutch Master and slave. You might as well put mud in it to turn it black.

My Cars
    98' M3
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Putting anything in your fluid is crazy. You put that powder in then how are you going to mix it? How are you going to be sure it doesn't react with the fluid and turn to sludge a week later. How are you going to be sure it doesn't gum up the Master or calipers or the clutch Master and slave. You might as well put mud in it to turn it black.
    +1 for powder

as for the water based coloring; it would never mix no matter how hard you tried.

My Cars
    95 Neon, 86 E30
    Given the price of the fluid with the coloring in it already vs the cost of a contaminated brake system, I'd go with buying the pre-colored stuff.

It really takes less than a thimble full of the wrong fluid to destroy an entire brake system. Not worth the risk.

My Cars
    2000 528ia-2001 5sp 330
    since i am so stupid (again you were the one that started the thread not I) my recommendation is to add a little of both and that way it will be SUPER BLUE

My Cars
    1997 328is
    I've never understood why people start a thread to ask if something is a good idea, then when the responses come in saying it isn't, then the defenses go up. Perhaps it isn't best to call the OP crazy though.

I would not use rit dye or food coloring. You are right that food color is water based, and putting water in your brake system is worse than not bleeding it to begin with.

I don';t know what rit dye is. It is powder based, but does it mix with ATF, and even if it does, does it never turn back to powder, does it handle the heat, etc. Too many unknowns.

Here is an assortment of dyes more appropraite for your use: http://www.nextag.com/engine-oil-dye/products-html

However, all of these are about as expensive as super blue. I see super blue available for $12. Are you sure this is not feasible for your budget?
    Thomas

1997 328is -- Arctic Silver w/Black Interior
    Performance Mods:
    S52 Cams / M50 Manifold / Conforti CAI / Conforti Shark for S52 Cams / Borla Exhaust / UUC Pulleys / ASC Delete / Fan Delete / Bilstein + H&R Sport / Turner Adjustable Rear LCA's / UUC RTABs / ZF Auto-Manual Conversion / 3.23LSD Diff
    Audio Mods:
    Headunits & Sources: Pioneer Premier DEH690UB + XM Satellite + iPod into Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 Sound Processor
    Amplifiers: Soundstream 1002, Audiobahn A4801T
    Speakers: Subs -- (3) Soundstream Exact 10" / Rear -- Polk Audio db 6500 / Front -- Soundstream Exact 6.3
    Cosmetic Mods:
    Projector headlights w/HIDs, Clear Tail, Corner, and Side Lights / M3 Style Rear Diffuser / Bumper Trim and Side Moldings Painted Arctic Silver / Sport Package 16" Wheels Refinished

My Cars
    A white one
    Adding powder to your brake system is not a good idea. Adding water-based dye to the hygroscopic fluid in your steel brake system is also a bad idea.

Just pony up the cash for the good fluid. On a street car, you only have to spend that money every couple of years.
    1998 323is

Sig pic by Shawn D
    The hours your BMW spends parked....you don't get those back.

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2013 135is
    Old thread but maybe try a hydrolic fluid dye not saying its the best idea but its ur car to each his own

My Cars
    One Too Many
    whats the point in the first place?
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
    whats the point in the first place?
    it's been used for years by racers who swap fluid often. You use 2 different colored fluids. That way you know when all the old stuff is out when you start to see the new color. Unfortunately it's not legal in the U.S. Now.

My Cars
    2007 bmw 335i coupe
    hey all friends , do not dye/color your brake fluid period. just pay attention to your bleeder clear hose , take a picture when it first came out ( it should be darker ) until you see it clear ,compare your photo picture. for me that works i hope you it will work with you too.