Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pictorial DIY: BMW E46 Fan Clutch Removal & Engine Belts Change For Automatic Cars

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Does anyone know if the fan-clutch tool for the E46 M3 is the same?
    TIS says the BMW special tool (11 5 030) works on the M52TU, M54, M56, and S54 engines.

Quote Originally Posted by armanigk View Post
    Is there a reason why the fan has to be stored in an upright position?
    Can't you just lay it down on it's back or front?
    Even during shipment the thing doesn't stay upright; or were you just afraid of putting any weight on the fins?
    The fan clutch contains a viscous fluid that can leak out if the clutch is laid flat.

My Cars
    330CIC
    That's the first time I hear a fan clutch can leak if laid flat!!! I find that very hard to believe as the clutch gets shipped and stored in any orientation. Also, if it's going to leak when flat on the ground, then it shouldn't it leak even more when under pressure spinning on the motor?!

My Cars
    76 2002, 82 320i, 325ci
    Very good write up. I started doing my maintenance last night and forgot to order the fan clutch tool. For anyone else out there that's interested, if you remove your intake filter box, you have lots of room for access to the fan clutch nut. I had a 1 1/4" wrench handy and with a light bump with a hammer, it loosened. Having the box off also gave me lots of room to get my hand in there and easily remove the fan. I can't imagine that the fan clutch must be stored vertically (sounds like an old wives tale). But, i went ahead and did it anyway so as not to tempt fate.

My Cars
    03 325i, 02 Jetta
    is there a DIY on moving hydrolic tensioner pulleys? or how they remove?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by romani View Post
    That's the first time I hear a fan clutch can leak if laid flat!!! I find that very hard to believe as the clutch gets shipped and stored in any orientation. Also, if it's going to leak when flat on the ground, then it shouldn't it leak even more when under pressure spinning on the motor?!

Well, because of physics, it would not leak wile spinning even if it had a little whole, but I still find it stupid that it would leak.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    I've done the fan clutch removal a number of times on both my e36 and e46 and use a piece of nylon cord or a shoe lace wrapped around the fan nut to remove and replace the fan once the tension is released. If you just loop it underneath the nut you can spin the fan off with a shoe shine motion. When re-installing wrap it around the nut and when the threads are started you can pull the cord to spin it back on. If the clutch is older the nut will spin easily so you can hold the fan by the blade and spin the nut on with the cord. New clutches turn harder but it still works. I'm planning on doing the water pump and thermostat tomorrow.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330ci

Blue radiator plug leaks under expansion tank after replacing thermostat.

Just wanted to thank you for this DIY. Worked like a charm for my 2004 E46 convertible , automatic of course. I used this to access my thermostat. I ran into a snag I was wondering if someone could help with. The blue radiator plug under the expansion tank leaks... It's tightened snug but not crazy. The leak actually seems to be coming from the black nut which the radiator plug is sitting in. When I put a crescent wrench on the nut to try and snug that part, it leaks more. Is that bit something people are meant to tighten ? Anyone else run into this issue when changing a thermostat ?

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    The articles and DIY instructions are awesome. I recently changed the belts (serpentine and AC) upper rad hose, air filter, and alternator on a 2002 BMW 330CI (E46) Everything in this write up is perfect. However, things don't always go as planned. For instance, the tensioner (centre pulley with the T50 bolt) stipped completely while trying to loosen tension to place the serpentine belt back on the new alternator. At this point, I was unable to even slip the belt onto the alternator with the alternator pulley remove (top bolt) Thankfully, I didn't give up and found that you can use the socket as a lever to help move the tensioner just enough to put the belt onto the alternator. Then, take the top pulley and push down into the top of the belt while manoeuvring the top bolt of the alternator back into the groove. It's a tight fit, which you want and saved me from having to figure out how to remove a stripped bolt. So there's a "work-around," to getting everything to fit back together. At this point, I need to get the mechanical fan back into the car (yes, I overheated after driving for about 45 minutes) It seems like it should be easy to thread the bolt, but proved to be very difficult. Will try one more time before going to a pro. Hope this helps someone who feels like giving up.
    *update* the fan wasn't as difficult as I thought. It threaded back on and the fan shroud helped guide the path. Last step, clean the engine.
    Last edited by p.a.r.t.y; 06-28-2019 at 04:17 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12