Thread: E34 M50 CPS removal ?

My Cars
    1995 Mazda Miata 1993 E34 525i Touring

E34 M50 CPS removal ?

Hi -- I ran into a no-start but cranking fine issue with the e34 touring.
    I checked the relay / fuel pump .. all is good. Stomp test is fine, no codes.

Now, I am suspect of the CPS, but it is very difficult to removal or even locate where the plug is !

Does anyone have any tips to getting to this thing ?
    Do I need to remove the intake plenum to get to the plug ?
    I do not have access to a lift, and cannot access it from underneath the car via jackstands ...

Any help is appreciated ! I would like to test it before sending it to my mechanic for diagnosis.

Thanks !

My Cars
    BMWs
    Use a timing light or spark plug on a coil and see if it sparks while cranking - if not, it could be the CPS. It's a pain to get to I think you need to remove the water pump pulley to remove it properly. Unclipping the connector under the intake manifold will put a nice amount of cuts and scratches on your forearm. You don't HAVE to remove the intake manifold, but yeah you have to remove the airbox. Or you could try going from underneath that may be less traumatic.

Edit: if you crank and confirm no spark (you have to use a spark plug with the threaded portion grounded and the coil end hooked into the coil pack boot) that's pretty much pointing to AT LEAST the crank sensor. The m50 is pretty reliable nothing in the electronics prevent a no spark other than CPS, CODE, or failed ECU.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 02-11-2009 at 12:50 PM.

My Cars
    1995 Mazda Miata 1993 E34 525i Touring
    Great thanks for the tips !
    I'll try removing the air box and not the plenum to test it ... I'm a skinny guy so HOPE I can get my tooth pick arms in there

My Cars
    BMWs
    Yeah if my hands fit, yours can.

I would advise going from below first. The connector, unfortunately, looks exactly like the cam connector and idle control valve connector and even the oil pan level connector haha.

So, you're going to want to unbolt the puppy (allen key prob 5 or 6mm) and have some one jiggle it to find out which wire it is. If I had to guess, I think going from below would be better. But, you'll fine out