Thread: Dark spots on instrument cluster

My Cars
    2013 328 M Sport Coupe

Question Dark spots on instrument cluster

I know someone had posted a thread recently, but I cannot find it! The dark spots are at the 1/2 mark on fuel gauge and around the 80 MPH on speedometer. I have replaced the bulbs in that area, but they are still "dim". Has anybody else experienced this? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
    - Dean

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    Yes, it's caused by the face delaminating from the cluster. Only fix is to remove the face and reglue it back down. Requires removal of the gauge needles and 3M mount adhesive.

My Cars
    2013 328 M Sport Coupe
    Grrrrrrrrrr! Was hoping for a somewhat easier fix. Any DIY's out there for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
    Yes, it's caused by the face delaminating from the cluster. Only fix is to remove the face and reglue it back down. Requires removal of the gauge needles and 3M mount adhesive.
    - Dean

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by dsuraci View Post
    Grrrrrrrrrr! Was hoping for a somewhat easier fix. Any DIY's out there for that?
    There was, but the poster got mad and removed everything. It was for the e36 cluster (same as on the Z3). Most of what I said in the prior post is all you need to know. As far as taking the cluster apart, I did a DIY for fixing the wacky fuel gauge which has links on how to take the cluster apart. You'll need to remove the short black pins that hold the needle position when idle. Those pull straight out. After that, mark the location of the needles at rest. You'll need to re-insert them at this position. The faceplate itself just peels off.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    I seem to have the same issue. I replaced the 3 instrument cluster bulbs but still have the dark spot. Not sure if I want to deal with taking the whole thing apart.

-Phil

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Weird, I had the same dark spot around 80 mph for a while but I swear it went away. NFC why.

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    z3
    I was under the impression this problem occured due to a light being burnt out behind the cluster? And PS be careful with your gauge cluster, if your needles get out of sync they will not get back in sync...

-Graham

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    98 328 cab, 97m3 sedan
    Been looking for steps on how to remove the plastic overlay that covers the gauges. Mine has some kind of white gunk on the inside that has been driving me bonkers. Can someone post a link to one of the diys for disassembling the cluster ? I would be extremely appreciative as I can't find one !!

My Cars
    M Coupe & i3
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackM View Post
    Weird, I had the same dark spot around 80 mph for a while but I swear it went away. NFC why.
    My Z3 3.0i I had did the same thing. It was dim in the gas gauge and at 80 mph. Then, they all started to work again. I replaced every bulb just to be safe.

However, the M has the dimming in both of the spots mentioned above. BLAH. And they have not gone away by themselves haha. It looks identical to the picture posted above..without all those warning lights
    i3 & Z3 M Coupe

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    here is a fix, I just did the same on my E36 cluster
    E36 Cluster Dark Spot Fix - No Glue Method - More Vibrant than Before http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=395434
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405