Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dynamat sucks

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I will test Tom's theory on the SS when I arrive back in the states in March. He did my E36 (in his sig pic) with SS products and I want to know what it will look like after a brutal summer in Florida.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchiz318 View Post
    Well, what brand would you recommend? I've never heard of this problem and now I'm concerned because we get temperatures upwards of 100F during the summer.
    1: I;ve used dynamat original and scosche accumat original and neve r had either fail, liquify, etc.

even in el paso where 100 in the shade is common between may and october.

It doesn;t liquefy, it gets HARD and crumbles eventually because it is asphalt.

Brown bread, and Peel n seal (lowes) are both assfault with mylar (double fail)+ really crappy adhesive.

Dynamat extreme is both a rigid aluminum back (adds rigididty to reduce resonance) and soft buytl rubber for long life (absorbtion+mass). Buy in bulk packs thru Amazon.xom vfor the absolute best price. The stuff is great.

I can tell you that i have gotten actual skin BURNS from touching my old black car in the summer here (160? 180?)... and the 3 years ago installed dynamat extreme (which was 4-5 years old BEFORE I even applied it) was doing just fine inverted on the inside of the roof skin last time I was in the roof.

I;ve been happy with it... and it works excellently. I will possibly try second skin's Damplifier (original = Dynamat Extreme ) next time most likely, becasue after shipping the price is either less or very on par with the cost of Dynamat Extreme bulk packs thru Amazon.com

Ponchis, you have a vert...
    1: it doesnt get that hot, it isn;t a closed car
    2: you are going to get an arse load of wind noise thru the fabric roof...

so no you won;t have any problems with the butyl products, jsut make sure it is aluminum backed nad not mylar.

I

the aluminum is for rigidity... not heat reflection (which is all mylar is good for)

So no Dynamat or cascade or schische asphaults.
    No brown bread or ED product.
    NO raamatt (mylar over butyl, mylar will jsut peel off later)

Sound deadener showoff... look it up.

;d do the trunk floor above the muffler, rear deck, and the OUter door skins and inner door skins. that is the bang for the buck.

Then do any intrusion of the wheelwells into the passenger compartment, floor under front seat pasengers feet, and trans tunnel.

That will cut down most of the ROAD noise, leaving only the unavoidable wind noise.

It will make the car feel a lot more solid and luxurious and the noise reduction will be a benefit on the daily commute... even top down.

Been there in a 70's MGB.
    Last edited by attack eagle; 07-28-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03 M3 Vert, 06 CLS55 AMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin-Police View Post
    I put dynamat in the door panels of my a few years ago and now, after several summers, it has liquefied and started to leak tar and shit into random parts of my car. Fuck that shit.
    Mine did that same thing. It fails hard

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by OUSHark View Post
    I do think you need to make sure you're talking about the same thing. Dynamat original is asphaltic and does not handle high temps very well. None of the asphaltic mats do. Dynamat extreme is a Butyl product and will handle high temps much better. It might ooze out a little, but it will basically stay in place.

That being said, I've used Dynamat extreme and Second Skin Damplifier pro and the Second Skin product seems to work much better. It does a better job of keeping it's shape and staying in place regardless of the temperature. Both DE and DP are good products, but IMO DP is a little better and it's a little less expensive.
    Good point. The dynamat I have installed on mine is extreme. Maybe that is why I didn't melt down.
    Thomas

1997 328is -- Arctic Silver w/Black Interior
    Performance Mods:
    S52 Cams / M50 Manifold / Conforti CAI / Conforti Shark for S52 Cams / Borla Exhaust / UUC Pulleys / ASC Delete / Fan Delete / Bilstein + H&R Sport / Turner Adjustable Rear LCA's / UUC RTABs / ZF Auto-Manual Conversion / 3.23LSD Diff
    Audio Mods:
    Headunits & Sources: Pioneer Premier DEH690UB + XM Satellite + iPod into Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 Sound Processor
    Amplifiers: Soundstream 1002, Audiobahn A4801T
    Speakers: Subs -- (3) Soundstream Exact 10" / Rear -- Polk Audio db 6500 / Front -- Soundstream Exact 6.3
    Cosmetic Mods:
    Projector headlights w/HIDs, Clear Tail, Corner, and Side Lights / M3 Style Rear Diffuser / Bumper Trim and Side Moldings Painted Arctic Silver / Sport Package 16" Wheels Refinished

My Cars
    2012 BMW 328 xi Coupe
    I've used Dynamat on several of my BMW's over the years to help improve noise reduction in the cabin and improve the sonics of the audio system, and I can say that it definitely helps. I've used it on the doors, rear panels, floorboard beneath the under seat subs and even lined the baskets that house the underseat subs. I've done everything from keeping the stock Logic 7 system intact in my cars over the years to replacing all of the speakers from using MB Quarts to SWS Earthquake subs, to the BAV 1 upgrades. What I can tell you is that there is a significant improvement in sound quality after listening to each of these systems before and after installing the Dynamat in said locations. It even made a big difference in volume and quality of the sound coming from the stock HK logic 7 subs under the seats, just using the OEM stock HK amp. Noticeable difference in bass and midrange. It's an inexpensive way to improve the quality of the OEM Logic 7 system. Of course, I much prefer my after market systems that I installed, but either way, the Dynamat is worth it. Happy modding!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12