Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamat sucks

My Cars
    NSX

Dynamat sucks

I put dynamat in the door panels of my a few years ago and now, after several summers, it has liquefied and started to leak tar and shit into random parts of my car. Fuck that shit.

My Cars
    reseal it with semen

/whispaz

Really though, I haven't really heard that happening to many people but most people I know just use it to dampen in the trunk. Have you searched other forums at all? That sucks :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent_Vino View Post
    I know deep down in places you dont talk about at parties, you don't want me listening in on circuits, you need me to listen in.

My Cars
    Subaru
    Isn't Dynamat just a glob of tar with an aluminum face?

They sell exactly that at Lowes for ~$14 for a 6" by 20' roll

My Cars
    NSX
    Yes. A retarded glob of tar.

My Cars
    '15 M4 vert
    i had the same thing happen in my very first car (honda).. i was in palm springs for a weekend where it was 115 degrees.. it melted and started leaking out the bottom of the door panel.. i guess it can't be used in hot climates.
    Current cars:
    '12 E93 M3

My Cars
    Montego Blue E92
    Quote Originally Posted by 540 View Post
    reseal it with semen

/whispaz
    i find the sound-deadening properties of sperm to be quite poor... but then again i've only bee able to try about 1 teaspoon at a time/per day

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    This is a common failing of the super cheap asphalt based deadeners. The butyl rubber based deadeners can take much more heat before failing, and even then they don't tend to just run everywhere and get super nasty like cheap asphalt stuff. The Dynamat Xtreme is a butyl based deadener, the "regular" stuff is cheap crap.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Whispaz View Post
    i find the sound-deadening properties of sperm to be quite poor... but then again i've only bee able to try about 1 teaspoon at a time/per day
    Are you sure you're doing it properly? 1 teaspoon applied directly inside the ear, directly from the source, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent_Vino View Post
    I know deep down in places you dont talk about at parties, you don't want me listening in on circuits, you need me to listen in.

My Cars
    Montego Blue E92
    Quote Originally Posted by 540 View Post
    Are you sure you're doing it properly? 1 teaspoon applied directly inside the ear, directly from the source, right?
    hmm... i've never thought of doing it that way. i've tried applying it just like Dynamat. sticky substance with a protective sheet
    i collect it in a napkin but usually get tempted to eat it so really when i spit it back onto the napkin its been diluted with saliva... maybe thats where the problem lies

My Cars
    Radio Flyer Wagon, Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Whispaz View Post
    hmm... i've never thought of doing it that way. i've tried applying it just like Dynamat. sticky substance with a protective sheet
    i collect it in a napkin but usually get tempted to eat it so really when i spit it back onto the napkin its been diluted with saliva... maybe thats where the problem lies

My Cars
    12 Mustang GT
    86 Rx-7 GXL(sold)
    98 Eclipse(sold)
    97 328is(gone)
    06 Mustang GT(gone)
    12 Mustang GT

LETS GO RANGERS!

My Cars
    s52 e30, e36Ms, e46M
    gary, i thought you used somethign besides dynamat? of all the dynamat i have installed i never ran into this problem??
    Check out my details and paint corrections!

www.theautospallc.com

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si
    this thread is full of fail.

i'm not even going to begin to pick it apart. i don't have all day.

My Cars
    AudioSnob
    Dynamat is the ONLY brand of deadener that I have had to fail. Dynamat (brand) is overpriced and over rated IMO.

>^..^<
    If money is the root of all evil ...why do churches beg for it?

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference

An armed man is a citizen ...an unarmed man is a subject.

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Well, what brand would you recommend? I've never heard of this problem and now I'm concerned because we get temperatures upwards of 100F during the summer.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    I used dynamat for doing the door panels and did not have this problem.

But when I did my trunk I used a product called brown bread. A little cheaper, lighter, and no complaints from me. Installed a little easier too. Seems to be fairly well recommended in the car audio enthusiast circles.

http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html

When I take my door panels off and look at the dynamat, yes of course I see tar that has seeped out of the edges etc over the years (been installed for 8 years now). But no, it didn't run down and become visible. But the brown bread doesn't appear to have turned into the same mess.
    Thomas

1997 328is -- Arctic Silver w/Black Interior
    Performance Mods:
    S52 Cams / M50 Manifold / Conforti CAI / Conforti Shark for S52 Cams / Borla Exhaust / UUC Pulleys / ASC Delete / Fan Delete / Bilstein + H&R Sport / Turner Adjustable Rear LCA's / UUC RTABs / ZF Auto-Manual Conversion / 3.23LSD Diff
    Audio Mods:
    Headunits & Sources: Pioneer Premier DEH690UB + XM Satellite + iPod into Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 Sound Processor
    Amplifiers: Soundstream 1002, Audiobahn A4801T
    Speakers: Subs -- (3) Soundstream Exact 10" / Rear -- Polk Audio db 6500 / Front -- Soundstream Exact 6.3
    Cosmetic Mods:
    Projector headlights w/HIDs, Clear Tail, Corner, and Side Lights / M3 Style Rear Diffuser / Bumper Trim and Side Moldings Painted Arctic Silver / Sport Package 16" Wheels Refinished

My Cars
    are overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchiz318 View Post
    Well, what brand would you recommend? I've never heard of this problem and now I'm concerned because we get temperatures upwards of 100F during the summer.
    Second Skin Damplifier Pro.
    http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibra...lifier-pro.php
    MAS #7 bitchessss

My Cars
    2014 Toyota Corolla S
    Hmmm been installing Dynamat for years and have yet had a customer come back with that issue.. but then again it doesnt get that hot in my area :dontknow:
    2006 Z4 Black/Black-Sold
    2002 Z3 Black/Beige-Sold
    2004 Imola Red/Black M3-Sold
    2005 Alpine White/Gray M3-Sold
    1999 Alpine White/Mulberry M3-Sold

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    I do think you need to make sure you're talking about the same thing. Dynamat original is asphaltic and does not handle high temps very well. None of the asphaltic mats do. Dynamat extreme is a Butyl product and will handle high temps much better. It might ooze out a little, but it will basically stay in place.

That being said, I've used Dynamat extreme and Second Skin Damplifier pro and the Second Skin product seems to work much better. It does a better job of keeping it's shape and staying in place regardless of the temperature. Both DE and DP are good products, but IMO DP is a little better and it's a little less expensive.
    1997 Z3 2.8L Montreal Blue/Beige Ext. Leather.
    Hybrid Legatia L6 - Arc Audio 4150 XXK,
    Hybrid Legatia L1 Pro - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Image Dynamics ID8 - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Definately use a butyl based deadener to stop the melting and falling off. Asphalt based will for sure melt in the bottom of your doors.

Second Skin Damplifier Pro is by far the best I have used. (and I have been using this stuff since the early 1990's) (not to mention that it does not stink like the asphalt product)

My Cars
    2014 Toyota Corolla S
    Tom, do you guys sell Dynamat at your retail location or is it all DP?
    2006 Z4 Black/Black-Sold
    2002 Z3 Black/Beige-Sold

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Second Skin only. We were selling Dynamat until a few years ago and Dynamat Extreme is excellent, but once you see Second Skin Damplifier the price and quality of Dynamat does not match dollar for dollar.

Quality wise, Dynamat Extreme and standard Damplifier is very close, but Damplifier Pro is much thicker and is more effective per dollar IMO.

My Cars
    '03 525i Sport
    I just took some panels off yesterday when I put my new sub in and found that my dynamat extreme had melted and was over everything
    then again i live in Augusta Ga and its pretty hot here

My Cars
    2014 Toyota Corolla S
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    Second Skin only. We were selling Dynamat until a few years ago and Dynamat Extreme is excellent, but once you see Second Skin Damplifier the price and quality of Dynamat does not match dollar for dollar.

Quality wise, Dynamat Extreme and standard Damplifier is very close, but Damplifier Pro is much thicker and is more effective per dollar IMO.
    Hmm I will be looking into that as my Dynamat alternative..

We dont do a huge amount of Dynamat at our location, but if we can get another brand that does the same or better job at a cheaper price that would be great
    2006 Z4 Black/Black-Sold
    2002 Z3 Black/Beige-Sold

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Guy's,
    Since I have a vert, would you recommend getting this installed on as much sheet metal as possible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast