Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dinan Throttle Body and MAF size vs stock 99 540i

My Cars
    99 540i/6speed

Question Dinan Throttle Body and MAF size vs stock 99 540i

What is the internal size of the maf and tb that dinan sells? I have a guy who bores tb's and is very reasonable and a buddy and I would like to start making maf housiongs. any help would be great. Thanks.

My Cars
    2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC
    I think 97-98 540i throttle bodies are same size as Dinan.
    Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

My Cars
    z3
    Yeah I am not sure they are any bigger but they dont have the screens and iirc the sensor is located a tad off-center

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    e39
    Dinan MAF and throttle body for your M62 TU engine are OEM parts coming from non TU engine, but rebadged.
    They are more expensive than OEM.
    So you might just want to get them sourced from dealer directly.

Double check figures with both anyway, cause I know BMW recently increased their parts prices, while Dinan, might be running some promotions too.

My Cars
    99 540i/6speed
    The maf is not a factory part offered by Dinan!!! The factory Maf housing on a m62 is smaller than the one on the M62tu! But both are smaller than the Dinan I just don't know by how much. The M62 Throttle body is not the same as the Dinan due to the M62 being throttle by cable and the M62tu being throttle by wire, and again I am not sure of the size difference M62tu vs Dinan?

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 97 318Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by fooljam View Post
    Dinan MAF and throttle body for your M62 TU engine are OEM parts coming from non TU engine, but rebadged.
    They are more expensive than OEM.
    So you might just want to get them sourced from dealer directly.

Double check figures with both anyway, cause I know BMW recently increased their parts prices, while Dinan, might be running some promotions too.

Sorry but you are ill-informed. The stock MAF is plastic and the Dinan MAF is something like aluminum so they are obviously different. Please don't go spreading false information as it may confuse others.

Sold95 M3 - Ground Control Track/School coilovers | Eibach Sway bars | Powerdyne supercharger | Dinan Exhaust | WAR Chip

My Cars
    1979 320i Golf
    oh snap
    1979 320i Golf

2008 328i White on Black

2000 M Coupe Imola on Imola/Black.....Retired

1998 BMW 540i Auto Black on Black......Retired

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Lots of misinformed people on the boards tonight. /sigh

The only thing that the prevanos e39 and Dinan products share is the intake manifold, and even this is not fully true. The non-TU intake manifold has a sensor near the back and the Dinan has no such sensor and some pretty Dinan stamps. The MAF on the dinan is metal as said earlier. The Throttle body on the prevanos is also completely different than the vanos and dinan for other reasons, one is electronic and one is wire IIRC. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

If you go about trying to create your own MAF, you can get them made or Summit racing sells one that 'should' fit our OEM MAF sensors that varies in diameter. However if you do alter the MAF in any way, it MUST be in the same diameter as the Dinan one for one reason. If you alter your MAF housing, you must get a tune. The only tune that offers MAF housing correction is the Dinan Stagex map that is sold parellel to the Dinan MAF housing. If you do not get your car tuned, the air being measured by the MAF is being read as lower than what is actually entering the engine, thus making your car go LEAN. However I have read on other forums that another half inch or so altercation to the MAF housing will only make the car lean out a little bit and by his math, the car should still be safe. I am one not willing to test this using my engine. You can be my guest.

In anycase, this is all moot. Unless you have every other dinan part+tune (or custom fabbed equivalents) the MAF housing is not the choking point for our cars. Throw down some money for headers or a S/C and see some real improvments
    Last edited by Fiziks; 07-26-2009 at 10:35 PM.

My Cars
    99 540i/6speed
    Like I said, I can get the TB bored cheap and the Maf housing should be easy to duplicate, just need to know size. Other software compayies like powerchip offer the ability to correct for a larger Maf. Headers are my next project! Going to have them made rather than pay the crazy prices listed by some of the Vendors. So really I just want to mod it so it is ready for the next step ,turbo,or S/C. This is kind of my strong point, custom fab'ing of parts due to the fact that my last project car was rare and everything was a custom 1 off part.

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Ah, I was not aware that Powerchip could customize their tune. Good to know! And I would Pm someone that has the dinan part for the size, or you can call Dinan. I know PutterMcGavin has the Dinan MAF housing, he might be willing to measure it for you.

As far as the custom fab work, I'd be VERY interested to see before/after dyno's of the MAF and TB, and the Headers if those get made also.

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by nine9six View Post
    Sorry but you are ill-informed. The stock MAF is plastic and the Dinan MAF is something like aluminum so they are obviously different. Please don't go spreading false information as it may confuse others.
    Well in that case you just need to correct me, I happy to be corrected anytime...No need for anything else...

I read this on the WIKI months back, obviously it is wrong.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M62#M62TUB44
    Last edited by fooljam; 07-27-2009 at 07:29 AM.

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Well in that case you just need to correct me, I happy to be corrected anytime...No need for anything else...

The wiki actually says that the MAF is slightly smaller with no mention of the TB or MAF being reproduced by Dinan. It only mentions the intake manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    The non-VANOS M62B44 had a slightly smaller MAF, but an intake manifold with larger runners for better high rpm flow characteristics (the difference was very similar to the difference between OBD1 and OBD2 M52/S52). The Non-VANOS intake manifold can be swapped onto the newer M62B44TU for more overall power and torque above 3500 rpm. Dinan sold these intake manifolds as an upgrade (using stock BMW parts), but for substantially more since the upgrade manifold carried the Dinan badge.

My Cars
    02 m5, cbr 929rr
    i researched this for a while on the m5 board but ran out of energy.

if you wanna read through 12 pages of knowledge, be my guest, but i dont have the time.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ml#post1536992

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Couple quotes from the M5 thread

fyi, the dinan maf for a vanos 540i (99+) is 90mm internal and not tapered.

When I added mine, without changing software, my AFR went from 12.2 to 12.5. Not a big deal.

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/p..._5_MAF_Housing

My Cars
    02 m5, cbr 929rr
    good eye homie

90mm (stock) is a smidge bigger than 3.5...so would you have to go to 4"? I would fear that was be massive and if you are getting an 'over the counter' tune would hinder performance
    Last edited by btmlinedan; 07-27-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
    The wiki actually says that the MAF is slightly smaller with no mention of the TB or MAF being reproduced by Dinan. It only mentions the intake manifold.
    Oh well must have been drunk when I read this few months back
    Thanks for the clarifications guys.

My Cars
    98 540i automatic
    I love Wiki. It's such a great tool. What makes it so great is that you get so much real information from so many sources.

Ok, I am turning off my sarcasm now. I just couldn't resist. Sorry.

Micheal Scott from the Office had a much better line for that but alas, I could not remember it. I KNOW !!! I'll look it up on Wiki. hehehe
    Last edited by KevKaos; 07-27-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    KevKaos
    BMW CCA MEMBER 419290

My Cars
    99 540i/6speed
    90mm is the Dinan size right? I am trying to talk a shop into boring out the tb but it almost seems like no one will touch it (almost like the Mob will break your legs if you interfere with Dinan sales?) Reading the like next btmlinedan! thanks!!!

My Cars
    2000 540i/6, 2001 X5 3.0
    I have Dinan TB, MAF and CAI on 2000 540i 6sp. Can measure.

I'm planning on removing the TB and MAF to replace with stock parts. Do I have to downgrade my software? What happens if i don't?

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar999 View Post

I'm planning on removing the TB and MAF to replace with stock parts. Do I have to downgrade my software? What happens if i don't?
    I would think your car will run rich and be OK, but call Dinan to be sure.

My Cars
    99 540i/6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar999 View Post

I would love to know the specs. of the Dinan parts!!! I would think that there would be a performance/economy drop off. If the computer is not reset you may end up damaging a sensor.

My Cars
    2003 540i 6-spd
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
    I would think your car will run rich and be OK, but call Dinan to be sure.
    What about the flip-side? I have the parts (CAI, TB, MAF) but no software yet. The shop could not program my car with their Dinan computer because they did not have a chip that could write to my car. Apparently I have to wait up to another month for Dinan to write s/w compatible with my car!!!

So I am driving around lean... what are the risks here?
    2015 M5 Competition+Ultimate Package black sapphire on champagne

2003 540i/6 black sapphire on black
    BBS RG-R, CDV, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan RSB, Dinan RSTB, Dinan SSK, Dinan FSTB, Dinan CAI, Dinan TB, Dinan MAF, Dinan stage 4 software
    BMW 13th gen ULF Bluetooth, BMW Sirius, Dice Silverline iPod
    Dynocom numbers: 320HP, 420LB.FT TQ (crank)

My Cars
    99 540i/6speed
    Contact Powerchips and list your mods and they will design a tune specific for your car. You must remove the computer and send it to them and once they get it they said they can send it back the same day. I would dyno your car and send them a copy of the results along with the A/F reading results and list mods so that they can max your gains.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8 Dinan
    Chuck - the dinan tb on a 99 540i is 83mm -- I measured mine with calipers and am quite sure about it. Measure your factory one so we know how much it was enlarged.

Everyone, for the love of God, please don't post misinformation if you really don't have any idea and don't parrot information that isn't coming from a reliable source.
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Dinan Supercharged

Went down the rabbit hole with Alfas for a few years...
    Prior BMWs: '70 2002, 82 323i Euro, 92 325is, 99 540i/6 Dinan, 00 540i Wagon, 2008 335i vert N54

My Cars
    99 540i/6speed
    just measured the tb at the butterfly and it measured 3.156 inches which when I converted it came to 80.1624mm. I guess it is a rounded 80mm. I didn't measure the outer most inner dia. which is larger, i'll do that in a couple of min.
    edit: the inner dia. tapers from it's smaller dia. at the butterfly (80mm) to the outer most area measuring at 81.7372
    Last edited by chucksrt; 08-28-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast