Thread: Good mechanic in the Pittsburgh area?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

Good mechanic in the Pittsburgh area?

The subject pretty much says it all...

Does anyone know of a good, honest mechanic in the Pittsburgh, PA area? I have two things that I want someone with a good amount of BMW/M3 experience to take a look/listen at... the 1500rpm rattling, and a clunk somewhere in the driveline when letting off the throttle quickly (could be the guibo?).

I have pretty much hit a dead-end in trying to figure out what these problems are and how to fix them. I tried going to AutoTech Performance (where I bought my car), but the BMW guy there is a total asshole. He basically lectured me about the mods I've done (pulleys, fan delete, etc.). He was swearing at me, about how I've "dicked around with the engine." Kinda pissed me off.

So if anyone has had any experience with a good mechanic around here, please let me know. Thanks a lot guys!

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Can anyone help me out here??

If you don't know about the mechanic, could anyone give me direction on that whole clunking in the driveline thing? Sorry for the bump, but I'm a bit frustrated with these problems. I just want them fixed.

My Cars
    10 Jeep Wrangler
    Mark,

I've really been looking for a good BMW mechanic myself. I have been told about a place on 51 but I can't for the life of me remember the name right now. (It's something ****-Tech)

I've been told they work on alot of german cars and are fair.
    P I T T S B U R G H, P A
    [img][/img]

My Cars
    2006 e90 330
    Guys:

Try Bill Ballon. He is on 39th street off Butler. He is awesome
    412 681-0433. When I need something done to my car, I drive 4 hours to see him (he is that good). Tell him Juan sent you....good luck

510 RWHP/ 485 RWTQ R.I.P.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Hey thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to take a look at my guibo today and try to figure out what this clunking is. If I have no luck, I may very well be calling Mr. Ballon soon. And 97mpwr, if you think of the name of that place, let me know. Thanks again!

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Well, I've decided to call Bill Ballon and see what he says. I tried calling today at about 4:50, and the line was busy. : I'll try back tomorrow, and hopefully I'll get through.

Quick question though... how does it work if (when) I have to leave my car there? Does he have a loner car available? Juan, if you drive 4 hours to get there, how do you handle this situation (leaving your car)?

My Cars
    '13 535 MSpt '15 M4
    Hey Mark try CNG Performance in Sewickley - they are supposed to be the best around.

Where in Pitt do you live?

Were you by any chance the guy that Brian and I (97MPWR) were racing with down I-79 S in late July?? You would have had a girl in the car it was late in the afternoon on a Sunday.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Hey Alex. I live in Shadyside (I'm in grad school at cmu). Where are you? And no, it wasn't me on 79 racing you guys. I wish it had been though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out. Sewickley is a bit of a drive, but I'll consider it. And by the way, my license plate is MMMARK, so if you spot me driving around, be sure to say hi.

My Cars
    '13 535 MSpt '15 M4
    I live on Mt Washington, Brian (97MPWR) lives in Bridgeville, Mark (u1arunit) live out by the airport, Regis (Mack) lives in south park and there are a couple other M guys that live in the north hills. We have to have a mini meet before the winter.

My Cars
    99 Dakar yellow M3
    I use a guy in mt pleasant area. He has worked on my cars for the last seven years. He also doesn't care about mods. He actually put mine on for me. He works on any german car. His name is Dustin and can be reached at 412-216-5016. Tell him Brian with the Yellow M3 sent you.

I drive a half hour for him to work on my car. it's worth it everytime. super honest guy.

Later
    Brian
    15 PassatTDI
    03 BMW M3 LSB
    99 BMW M3 Daker Yellow
    88 BMW M3
    94 Corrado SLC
    71 VW bug conv

My Cars
    '13 535 MSpt '15 M4
    Good to know, thanks man.

My Cars
    2006 e90 330
    Mark:

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I haven't check this site in a while. When I drive to Bill's, I have an appointment. He works just on my car as I wait. If the job requires more than a day, I get a rental car. I don't think he has loaners, but you can ask him. Good luck

510 RWHP/ 485 RWTQ R.I.P.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    No problem Juan. I just called him up, and he told me that they don't work on cars serviced by the owners. He said they have too much business as it is, and then he said goodbye. I guess I understand... if you have too many cars to work on, then that's the reality. Still, it sucks for me. :

Brian (pghm3guy)... I live in pittsburgh, but I'm still horrible with knowing the surrounding areas. Where is Mt. Pleasant in relation to here? It seems like your guy is next on my list of attempts. I have to find someone that will fix this thing without raping me. Maybe I'll try CNG as you suggested, alex.

Regardless, thanks for all your help so far, guys. Keep it comin.

edit: actually, alex, I'm looking in the phonebook for CNG, and I'm not finding it. I also searched online with no luck. Any ideas?

My Cars
    99 Dakar yellow M3
    hey Mark,

he's in the greensburg area if that helps.

Later
    Brian
    15 PassatTDI
    03 BMW M3 LSB
    99 BMW M3 Daker Yellow
    88 BMW M3
    94 Corrado SLC
    71 VW bug conv

My Cars
    '13 535 MSpt '15 M4
    I will post their # tomorrow.

My Cars