Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keyless entry does not lock/unlock doors

My Cars
    530I

keyless entry does not lock/unlock doors

When I press lock or unlock all I get is 3 beeps. Nothing else happens. I can lock the doors with the key at the drivers door lock so I know the door lock/unlock system is working.
    I have read about the switches on the hood, doors, trunk and radio. So far I have unplugged the radio and hood switch. If I am looking at the black box with the short antenna located behind the glove box can I just unplug the circuit for the door/hood/radio/trunk switches? If so which plug is it? I looked in the Bentley manual for about an hour last night and I cannot find an electrical diagram for the alarm system with the keyless entry.
    Car is a 1997 z3 1.9 Auto.
    Derek Price-AlaBAMA
    1998 Z3
    2006 530i (wife's car)
    2002 Dakota 5.7 Hemi swap

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Have you tried the trunk switch? One indication the trunk switch might not be working is if your trunk light does not work..

My Cars
    530I
    Trunk light works...it even turns off when the trunk is closed. I had my nephew climb in and I shut the trunk just to make sure..LOL!!
    Derek Price-AlaBAMA
    1998 Z3
    2006 530i (wife's car)

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    I had a problem with a bad connection to the hood switch, I found that disconnecting the switch did not help but once I re-seated the connector it was fine.

My Cars
    6/83 1984 745i
    Another thing to check is your door striker (#6) the switch gets worn over time and the door latch does not make contact with it. When that happens you can't arm your anti-theft.
    alpinweiß on anthrazit buffalo 1984 745i, 2014 Fiesta ST, 1984 635csi 1986 635csi 1987 L6 1999 M coupe 2002 M3 1995 325i 1976 200​2, 2001 996 TT 1994 850 T5 wagon 1998 GTi VR6 1983 scirocco

My Cars
    '96 Z3
    Yes, door striker. Had the same problem here. The plastic bushing was missing on mine. You can buy the latchstriker at the dealer for around $45, but if you are creative, you can fix that for free

To check if it is the latchstriker, press the door you think is making bad contact hard while activating the lock. Also, you can check to see if the latchstikers work by setting your dome light to light up when doors are open.

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE
    If you still have the problem after trying everything, please post again, I have run into this a lot.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I post in this thread at 2:52 PM today, and at 5:19 PM my car let out the dreaded three beeps! WTH?

subscribed!

My Cars
    6/83 1984 745i
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaher View Post
    I post in this thread at 2:52 PM today, and at 5:19 PM my car let out the dreaded three beeps! WTH?

subscribed!
    That is awesome!
    I made the mistake of getting a used one first, learn from my penny wise pound foolish move and just get a new one. Needless to say I can take apart a b pillar pretty quick now
    alpinweiß on anthrazit buffalo 1984 745i, 2014 Fiesta ST, 1984 635csi 1986 635csi 1987 L6 1999 M coupe 2002 M3 1995 325i 1976 200​2, 2001 996 TT 1994 850 T5 wagon 1998 GTi VR6 1983 scirocco

My Cars
    530I
    Thanks FRESHBREAD it was the drivers door sticker switch. I worked it a few times with a flat blade screwdriver then sprayed some WD-40 on it and the door latch. It works now but it is worn so when it quits again I will get a new one.
    Thanks!!!
    Derek Price-AlaBAMA
    1998 Z3
    2006 530i (wife's car)

My Cars
    99 bmw 328i conv
    Troubleshooting Keyless Lock

If your car is beeping three times when you hit the button on the key fob, it is probably a switch that is open. Here is the process I found that works.

1. There are five switches you need to check: Front hood, trunk, both doors (I have 2 door), and top (I have a convertible).

2. The Lights and locks are on the same switch, so if the lights work the switch works.

3. Open and close each door and make sure the interior lights go on and off. If they don't, you need to repair the latch switch.

4. Open and close the trunk and make sure the interior light goes on and off. I put my cell phone on video record and dropped it in the trunk. On playback I confirmed that the light did go off so that was not the problem.

5. Open the convertible top part way so the hard cover is up. If the trunk is locked and you can't open it, then the switch in top is working. If not, you found the problem.

6. With the doors and trunk closed and the top up or fully down, open the hood. The switch is on the right side. Push it down manually until you hear it click. While holding it down, try your keyfob button. If it works now, you found your problem. I had to bend the switch arm up to make it make contact with the hood.

Good luck.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3

Duplicate issue

I'm also having this dreaded three beep. I've tried all of these suggestions, any other recommendations? I just had the car in the shop to get the airbag sensor replaced...I picked it up and now I have two more issues than when I dropped it off: dysfunctional keyless entry and a radio requesting a code. SO frustrating, but at least I have a working airbag. lol

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    ...you forgot the most common one of all.....the radio switch!!!

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by watertalk View Post

If your car is beeping three times when you hit the button on the key fob, it is probably a switch that is open. Here is the process I found that works.

1. There are five switches you need to check: Front hood, trunk, both doors (I have 2 door), and top (I have a convertible).

2. The Lights and locks are on the same switch, so if the lights work the switch works.

3. Open and close each door and make sure the interior lights go on and off. If they don't, you need to repair the latch switch.

4. Open and close the trunk and make sure the interior light goes on and off. I put my cell phone on video record and dropped it in the trunk. On playback I confirmed that the light did go off so that was not the problem.

5. Open the convertible top part way so the hard cover is up. If the trunk is locked and you can't open it, then the switch in top is working. If not, you found the problem.

6. With the doors and trunk closed and the top up or fully down, open the hood. The switch is on the right side. Push it down manually until you hear it click. While holding it down, try your keyfob button. If it works now, you found your problem. I had to bend the switch arm up to make it make contact with the hood.

Good luck.

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Hmmm. What does this elusive 'radio switch' look like? This is very likely my issue as they apparently had the middle console torn apart.

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholette View Post
    Hmmm. What does this elusive 'radio switch' look like? This is very likely my issue as they apparently had the middle console torn apart.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=z3+radio+switch

...seriously though...is it THAT hard to use the search function???

Here's a pic of the 'radio switch' for the lazy people:

Last edited by danomite; 08-22-2011 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Actually, yes, it is hard...particularly when you don't do anything to cars other than start them and put gas in them and you have no idea what you're looking for.

Thanks for your time.
    Nikki

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholette View Post
    Actually, yes, it is hard...particularly when you don't do anything to cars other than start them and put gas in them and you have no idea what you're looking for.

Thanks for your time.
    Nikki

I believe your question was: "What does this elusive 'radio switch' look like?"....which has nothing to do with being mechanically inclined. The search function on this forum is designed to help you when, and I quote: "you have no idea what you're looking for."

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Danomite, really, thanks for such a nice warm welcome to the forum.

In any case, it actually wasn't the radio issue...turns out it was the hood switch. Unplugged that and now it works fine, so many thanks to the above poster who suggested checking that.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Hi there - I have a 2001 Z3 and although the keyless alarm beeps once for lock and twice for unlock, it suddenly stopped actually working the locks on the doors. Could someone suggest some simple things I might try to fix this? Thank you!

My Cars
    Give me headaches
    Mine locks but doesn't beep . I really miss that chirp sound of my old e36 M3 haha
    Current: e24 - e28 - e34 - e36/8 - 993 - 914 - w124 - w210 - urs6 - P71 CV - t100

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    Damnit.

Mine started acting up.

When unlocking and unlocking, only the passenger door actually locks. The driver's and trunk do not lock. It also only beeps *once* when locking, unlike the 'woop woop' double beep that it should.

advice?

My Cars

Good luck.
    you sir is a genius!!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3

Good luck.
    I am having the same problem with my 2000 z3. I have checked then doors and trunk, unplug and plug back the hood switch. I have checked for the radio switch and it seems that someone had already put a zip tight.

The only thing I am not clear on how to check is the top sensor.... I have opened the top half way and I was able to open the trunk o problem. Does that mean that switch is bad? Where is it inside the top?

My Cars
    2001z3 2.5
    I have another issue. My car wil lock but it never unlocked. I thought they all did what mine does. Any ideas? Both fobs do the same. All they do is lock the car.

Phil

My Cars
    E92 335i xdrive msport
    Quote Originally Posted by GAZ3 View Post
    I am having the same problem with my 2000 z3. I have checked then doors and trunk, unplug and plug back the hood switch. I have checked for the radio switch and it seems that someone had already put a zip tight.

The only thing I am not clear on how to check is the top sensor.... I have opened the top half way and I was able to open the trunk o problem. Does that mean that switch is bad? Where is it inside the top?
    His instructions were for a 3 series convertable, not our Z3/Roadsters.... the give away is when he talks about the "hard cover being up" -- we don't have those.

Mine was the hood switch.... its on a pretty flimsy piece of sheet metal..... used a long screw driver, and pried it up/bent it up towards the hood a bit.... closed hood... presto... alarm/keyless works again.
    Last edited by iredlinemy///m3; 12-01-2012 at 08:34 AM.

RIP SMW (5.23.04) - We miss you sweetheart!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast