Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interior trim removal

My Cars
    2001 530iA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by psa View Post

I have to ask...what's up with that cup holder...?...you make it out of clear plex..?
    Quote Originally Posted by totoe39 View Post
    x2 please more information on those cup holders.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1324896&page=2

post #35

My Cars
    1996 E39 523i Sedan
    Thanks for the info! Really helped me a lot during my wrap.

But I can't seem to figure out how you took apart the gear knob, I already got it out but I cant take it apart. How did you remove the pin sticking out of it?

My Cars
    03 ///M5
    Deffintively about to do.the carbon.Fiber going use this to get my trim of
    2003 ///M5. ~ Jet Black/ Le Mans Blue

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower/ 419lbs torque
    Supersprint Headers
    CNS Lightweight dm flywheel/ Spec clutch
    ST coilovers
    Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets
    Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads
    Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers
    Michelin Pilot supersports

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport
    Did you have to remove the cd player to get to the flip door? Its the only piece I have left to remove.

My Cars
    03 ///M5
    Quote Originally Posted by bputts
    Did you have to remove the cd player to get to the flip door? Its the only piece I have left to remove.
    Yea i need to know to... i was just about rip it off
    2003 ///M5. ~ Jet Black/ Le Mans Blue

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower/ 419lbs torque
    Supersprint Headers
    CNS Lightweight dm flywheel/ Spec clutch
    ST coilovers
    Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets
    Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads
    Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers
    Michelin Pilot supersports

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by bputts View Post
    You don't necessarily have to but it's easier without it. I managed to take mine off with everything still in place. You just have to be patient.

See here, in my case I left the cassette player alone and I was able to remove the clamps (the MID is out for other reasons).

Last edited by crdiscoverer; 05-03-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by crdiscoverer

You don't necessarily have to but it's easier without it. I managed to take mine off with everything still in place. You just have to be patient.

See here, in my case I left the cassette player alone and I was able to remove the clamps (the MID is out for other reasons).
    Thanks for the reply. So what should I do if I don't have a tool to cut it? I have already ordered the replacement clips from my dealer. I'm afraid of breaking the whole thing?

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Thanks for the reply. So what should I do if I don't have a tool to cut it? I have already ordered the replacement clips from my dealer. I'm afraid of breaking the whole thing?
    I didn't have a special tool. I used a small knife, a set of pliers and a lot of patience. Since you already have the new clamps you can study them to see how they work and reverse-engineer the whole thing.

I will try to describe the process the best I can since I took no pictures:

Each of the clamps has some sort of "petals" that hold a plastic pin, therefore securing the flap in place. You have to open those petals up to release them from each pin:

I stuck the knife's point between each petal and tried to make some more space. Once you have deformed some of the little flaps, you have to stick another sharp object through the side of the clamp and force it down/out. If it doesn't work then you have to go back and bend more petals. Repeat. Then you can grab it with pliers and pull it away.

You can see in the picture I posted above that I didn't break anything, but I took my time.

BTW, in my car the center clamp was not one but two, one on top of the other... what a friggin' nightmare.

Check the thread I made here, there's some useful info:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1621547
    Last edited by crdiscoverer; 05-04-2012 at 10:31 AM.

My Cars
    99' 528i & 08' 335i
    awesome diy! I will be trying this out too...now if only they had a woodgrain wrap I would be all seet as I have tan interior...can't do much there....what does the M5 with camel colored interior use for trim?

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport
    Great. Thanks for the info I'm going to be trying this in a couple days just trying to gather as much info as possible

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Great. Thanks for the info I'm going to be trying this in a couple days just trying to gather as much info as possible
    Sure.

BTW, I don't know why but I keep reading your username as pbutts, sorry.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6 Sport
    Appears that the 2000 M5 with camel used woodgrain also.

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport

Sure.

BTW, I don't know why but I keep reading your username as pbutts, sorry.
    Haha no worries. I've been called worse!

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport
    Is there a trick to getting the shifter apart? I can't get it apart. I have it out of the car and the metal ring out. Seems like it is stuck.

Never mind got it. Still having trouble with the flip cd piece. Literally the last piece to go. This thing is brutal'
    Last edited by bputts; 05-08-2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 BMW 525i Touring
    Is there a trick to getting the shifter apart? I can't get it apart. I have it out of the car and the metal ring out. Seems like it is stuck.

Never mind got it. Still having trouble with the flip cd piece. Literally the last piece to go. This thing is brutal'

How did you get the shifter apart. I gave up with mine. Felt like it was stuck solid with polish or something.

BMW 525i Touring, AC Schnitzer alloys, leather trim, cruise control, aux input, BSW Sub, brushed titanium trim

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerinjapan

How did you get the shifter apart. I gave up with mine. Felt like it was stuck solid with polish or something.
    I stuck a really small flat head in the side of the wood grain against the leather. I pulled the leather back around the entire length of the wood grain on both sides. Be careful tho I cracked it in a few spots. Once I got the leather away from the wood grain I was able to slide the piece up and out. Sorry if that sounds confusing.

Just finished the di noc vinyl wrap! The matte black looks great in my fan interior! I will post pictures tomorrow. I know some people were interested in how it may look in a tan car. Thanks again for this DIY and from all the special help on the cd flip trouble. I ended up getting a hand held dremel to cut them off. Cost me ten bucks. I feel like it was the only way. No more cracked wood grain! Phew!
    Last edited by bputts; 05-09-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport
    Thanks a ton for this DIY and to everyone who helped me out! 3m Di Noc is great stuff.... All you need is a heat gun.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    I got the flip door off with just a knife and i didnt even damage the clips.i used a razor knife to get under the edge and rock the blade back and forth until i worked it off. Once the clip is off the door is still attached be this black tar stuff similiar to what holds the foam layer on inside the door panel. When i did my doof i popped the black strip off and bondo'd the hole smooth. Now my door is flat and you cant even tell its supposed to open.

Is dinoc easy to work with? I bought some cheap stuff and the air bubbles were a nightmare to get out. Just when i thought i was done the sun would catch a funny angle and there would be a tiny bump.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    BMW E39

Thumbs up

Great Job.....

My Cars
    1999 bmw 540i6

I didn't have a special tool. I used a small knife, a set of pliers and a lot of patience. Since you already have the new clamps you can study them to see how they work and reverse-engineer the whole thing.

I will try to describe the process the best I can since I took no pictures:

Each of the clamps has some sort of "petals" that hold a plastic pin, therefore securing the flap in place. You have to open those petals up to release them from each pin:

I stuck the knife's point between each petal and tried to make some more space. Once you have deformed some of the little flaps, you have to stick another sharp object through the side of the clamp and force it down/out. If it doesn't work then you have to go back and bend more petals. Repeat. Then you can grab it with pliers and pull it away.

You can see in the picture I posted above that I didn't break anything, but I took my time.

BTW, in my car the center clamp was not one but two, one on top of the other... what a friggin' nightmare.

Check the thread I made here, there's some useful info:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1621547
    i just spent 30 minutes on one of these clips and its still attached!!!! im so frustated it must be made of freakin titanium!

Sent from my awesome iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    '03 E39, '09 Yamaha R1

My Cars
    2000 BMW 525i se

Question

great write up but i cant for the life of me figure out how to get the radio panel off!? how do you do it? i have managed the rest but im stuck with a walnut radio flap!

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    it is actually covered if you read the thread, just try scrolling up

or describe what confuses you in more detail or post a photo
    Last edited by aspensilver540; 09-24-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123