Thread: New Key

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iT M Sport W

New Key

Need some help. I lost one of my main keys. Still have a spare but decided to get a new key to have as a new spare. Went to a BMW-only service center run by an 8-yr. BMW service manager. He picked up a genuine BMW key (needed driver's license, title, etc.) from BMW, had it cut, and then called me to bring the car in so that it could be "initialized". About 5 minutes into this process, he asked, "how long has your remote not worked". My response was that it always worked. Next question was "How long has the inside central locking not worked?". Answer, "it always has". Somehow, the electronics got "fritzed" with the initialization process. Now I have two keys that do indeed start the car but no remote function, no central locking, and no interior lights. I checked all fuses, paying specific attention to the interior light and central locking system, and all are intact. Any thoughts on what happened or how I can troubleshoot? Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    2000 TiAg ///M5
    you can program the new remote yourself. I just reprogrammed two remotes on my car just 2 days ago.

My Cars
    2000 540i
    Absolute, can you tell us how or point us to a link please.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny771 View Post
    Absolute, can you tell us how or point us to a link please.
    Here's is the info that gets' posted just about once a month...and is also in the FAQ thread near the top of the home page.

Please follow all instructions to the "T". If you skip, fudge, overlook, combine, etc any of the steps...you may end with failure to reprogram the keys to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the car. These instructions are NOT for owners having issues with starting the car (that is an EWS issue).

Also...have ALL remote keys with you during the programming session...any remote key NOT done during the same session will no longer lock/unlock & arm/disarm the car (pay attention to STEP #3 ...do NOT insert the 2nd key into the ignition...just start with the button press instructions:

Quote Originally Posted by conbobway View Post
    Need some help. I lost one of my main keys. ... Went to a BMW-only service center ... picked up a genuine BMW key ... About 5 minutes into this process... the electronics got "fritzed" with the initialization process.

Now I have two keys that do indeed start the car but no remote function, no central locking, and no interior lights. I checked all fuses, paying specific attention to the interior light and central locking system, and all are intact. Any thoughts on what happened or how I can troubleshoot? Thanks in advance.
    If you checked all fuses...then I'm at a loss. The central locking fuse in the trunk is usually the culprit. And you can verify that you've pulled the fuse (in the trunk area) and replaced it with another that has the correct amperage? Another component that can cause the remote (FZV) feature of the central locking system to fail...is a bad fuel door actuator. You can pull the ELECTRICAL connector from it...then make sure that the fuse is intact (#53?...check the fuse index on the back of the battery compartment door it varies by model year & BMW market), then try to reinitialize the keys again.

(rear fuse index for trunk/cargo location)

Good luck.

If you can get to the issue that has your interior lighting and central
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-24-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)