Thread: Quick oil change question..

Home: Bay Area, California |||| College: UCSB

Question

I asked this a while back... and well, I forgot the responses (this was on the old forum anyway so no archives) : . Anyway, the question is more or less about the oil plug - in an oil change the service manual (Bentley and Chiltons) states to replace the little seal/rubber washer thingy. Is this necessary EVERY time? In that case, I need to find a new oil plug seal, hehe. So respond quick! Again, thanks in advance.
    - Jon, '93 325is

Kindaturbojohn Guest
    Well, I guess if I was at the dealer and thought of buying a couple for 50 cents while there for another reason I would.

But, I wouldn't go outta my way unless it is hard, has cracks/splits etc.

Of course the key to long life is not cranking the crap out of the bolt when putting it back on. I never used a torque wrench, but just snug it and 1/8- 1/4 turn after that.

the washer is brass and should be replaced every time.. won't do much harm to do it every other change... for whatever reason BMW doesn't include the o rings for the oil filter and the plug washer but other OEM filters include all the washers...

the brass is softer than the oil pan and the bolt so it forms a better seal than if you just cranked the bolt down onto the pan...

My Cars
    95 M3, 94 525it
    For my 92 325is: the filter kit from the dealer and aftermarket(Fram)include two crush washers and two O rings. It is nice to have an engine without drips or seeps...
    happy motoring
    94 525it (M50tu)
    95 M3 (S50)

92 325is (M50) SOLD

I'm with cek on this. My oil filter(from dealer) came with the drain plug gasket, the oil filter cap gasket, the oil filter cap bolt gasket (at the bottom of the bolt), and the oil filter cap bolt gasket (at the top of the bolt). I just replaced all, because they came with.