Thread: ABS and DSC failure at 50,387 miles Please Help

My Cars
    2006 330i

ABS and DSC failure at 50,387 miles Please Help

I bought a 2006 330i with 49700 miles last week from Carmax. I took the car to BMW and paid 270 bucks for them the do a full inspection so if the car had a problem it could get fixed under warranty. They came back and said it was in great shape and the scans showed no issues at all. Today I was driving down the freeway at 80 mph (75 mph zone) and the dash lit up like a christmas tree. It showed several brake warnings and a big yellow ABS warning. Idrive said that the DSC, FTM and ABS was not working and to drive moderately to a BMW dealership. I called roadside assitance and they seemed a bit puzzled at the combination of warnings. I tested the brakes and sure enough ABS was not working, actually the back brakes locked up. I then turned the car off and restarted it. All of the warnings went away and ABS began to once again work fine. 3 miles down the road it lit up again so I went home and parked it. This is my first BMW so I have a series of questions:

Has anyone experienced this and what was wrong?

Any chance BMW will pick up the cost of repair given the proximity of warranty expiration?

Any other thoughts or input is appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Yeah there is a big chance they will cover it under warranty. Nicely talk to your SA and let them know that this is so close it should be covered, I doubt they will give you a hard time. If I were to guess, I'd say the DSC unit failed.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i, Titanium Silver, SP, PP, Halo, Auto
    Had similar problem in June. Synopsis of repair: "DSC and Brake MIL - found faults in DSC module faults 95B5 and 5E43. Replaced STL steering column switch cluster, reset steering angle sensor, updated software." Also noted that when MILs were lit, cruise control did not work and turn signals did not cancel after making turn. 2007 3-Series - 19K miles - covered under warranty.

Yea, I may be the only one in Tennessee that uses turn signals!!
    Last edited by rep505; 07-19-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Add information

My Cars
    2009 335i Sedan
    I had similar symptoms and it turned out to be one of the rear wheel sensors. They cleaned it and it has been fine since.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Just heard from BMW, the issue was caused by a low voltage alarm. They discovered a dead cell in the battery so they are changing it out. Hopefully that is all that is wrong.

My Cars
    E39

let us know!

I had my abs unit replaced! Now my cruise control and speedo worksit did not work) But lights are still on abs/dsc/brake still on? Also did put a new speed sensor pass/front and cleaned out the driver side still no luck? Thanks!

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Tested everything and it appears all is well. Drove 150 miles today with no problems.