Thread: Head Bolts: Afraid of Breaking One on the Last Torque

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i

Head Bolts: Afraid of Breaking One on the Last Torque

I recall taking the head bolts off. They were not that tightly torqued.
    Applied the first 22 ft lb torque, everything feels normal
    Applied the first 90 degree rotation, a lot of effort

I am concerned that I may break one of these bolts doing the final 90 degree torque.

I have done everything by the book but want advice before attempting the final torque tomorrow.

By the way the temp like 90 F so I really don't need to wait to do the last torque but wanted feedback if this is normal.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    The first 90 should not be THAT tough to do.

You did oil the bolts right? And you did clean-out (chase is best) the bolt holes prior to installing the bolts?

Remember, the bolts are designed to stretch . . . so it may feel a bit different that what you may be used to.
    Garrett

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Yes to both, bolts are oiled, holes were cleaned and dryed to be spotless.
    Using an 18" extension I would guess I am applying a 40 pound torque.
    First 22 ft pounds was effortless, first 90 was hard enough to concern me doing the last 90 and yes I know a great deal about TTY bolts but feel very uncomfortable given the torque I am applying to get that 90 degrees.
    Ugh!
    I am curious if doing one right after the other may make the first 90 torque cause this feeling of more torque then I expected?

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    Wait. . . . you bought new bolts and aren't re-using the old ones right?

Maybe you don't have enough leverage. I just did this a couple weeks ago with a Snap-On AngleTech 1/2 drive wrench. Wrench is probably about 24" long and I had no problems at all.

IIRC they were all close to 100 ft/lb when tightened.

My Cars
    01' M3, X5 4.4, 530i
    We just did the head on my brothers s50 and he felt the same way about the second 90 degree, but it turned out ok. Not sure if that's helpful
    2001 M3 TiAg on BLK, 6 Spd Man, ZCP's, Koni's, RE RSM's, H&R springs, Hotchkis sways, SS headers, SS cats, AA rear exhaust
    1995 M3 - Alpine White w/Manual Vaders (Sold - If only I could keep them all..)

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Yeah, it just feels like you'll break stuff! Now try it with an aluminum block, and see how fun THAT is Just do it ... it's spec, and unless there is a problem with the thread or hole, it'll be fine.

You should wait between torque stages btw ... about 30 min or so
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Use a torque wrench you know is accurate and then an angle gauge to get the exact 90 degrees and their will be no reason to strip any threads. I actually managed to strip one I think because of the torque wrench I was using as I tested it compared to a few others. I then decided to use a angle gauge and a known accurate torque wrench.

My Cars
    E46 '03 M3 & E36 '95 M3
    I was nervous when I did my head bolts too. I did the first torque sequence at 22ft-lbs. I knew you had to wait a few minutes for the next sequence. However, I ended up going home for the night.

The next day, I was curious about the bolts and I rechecked them with the torque wrench. I went 22ft-lbs again and they all needed a good turn to get back to 22ft-lbs. They actually loosened quite a bit. I did some errands and did the 90 degree turn. The bolts under the rain tray sucked, because I had to use a shorter rachet for those two bolts. I couldn't use my longer rachet with the angle torque gauge. I had to "wing" it to make the 90 degree turn.

1995 M3
    2003 M3

My Cars
    1995 M3
    If using a head extension on the torque wrench (offset), make sure you calculate the torque before using.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    just helped install a TT Stg2 kit this past weekend, and I was doing the second 90 on the ARP 2000 studs... yes it felt tough, but that's what's required, and we even broke a 11mm socket in the process (pretty common from what the turbo guys said)

don't worry about it like everyone else has said, and just make sure you are using the proper tools... I was using a 18"ish ratchet wrench with a angle gauge on it
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Well I feel better now.
    I can easily put enough torque on most any small bolt like this to snap it off so given it was not an issue with effort but just "hey this really feels awkward like too much torque".

You can imagine how much of a PITA it would be to snap one off if I could not get it out without pulling the head again.

I have given this 24 hours and will give it a go. I didn't think ARP's would be needed for a stock application.

Again thanks for the help. I don't mind exerting a 100 ft pounds of torque unless that snaps a bolt off.

I also got the VANOS rebuild kit and plan to just take my time doing that as well as cam timing. Not in a real hurry to get this done for a month of so as Florida and a convertible are not a good mix until it cools some.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    My understanding is that aluminum bolts should NOT be lubricated prior to installing and torqueing, the threads should be dry, and if you do lubricate them, you will overtorque the bolt and quite possibly break it or strip the threads.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tedt View Post
    My understanding is that aluminum bolts should NOT be lubricated prior to installing and torqueing, the threads should be dry, and if you do lubricate them, you will overtorque the bolt and quite possibly break it or strip the threads.
    Who the hell is using aluminum bolts. LOL.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I just did mine and the Ehrling kit had the oil can symbol with the can crossed out on the thread section. I took that as no oil on the threads. Plan on firing it up Sunday so I hope all is good. If it was meant to be oiled why is everyone so concerned to make sure the threads are dry before they start?

My Cars
    325is, 96 M3 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Who the hell is using aluminum bolts. LOL.
    bmw on the N52 lol
    BMW E30 325is M20B33 in the making....... ITB's, roller rockers and stroked to the hilt

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    bmw on the N52 lol
    As far as I am seeing, you're referring to the pack of 4 alu bolts for the external "head mounting", not the 14 steel bolts for the combustion chambers.

Either way, if the parts pictures are wrong, the S50 and S52 are not using alu bolts.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 03-02-2019 at 06:18 PM.