Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: BC Racing Coilover Review

My Cars
    E30ic, E39 M5
    I've had my BC Coilovers installed for a couple of weeks now. I got the 8k/6k setup with koyo bearings and extended adjusters from Tristan. (Awesome service and fast shipping!) They look and feel like quality stuff. Finally got them dialed in the way I want them for street duty. 12 clicks from full soft front and rear at ~24.75" all around measuring from the ground. I get no rubbing with stock-sized tires on stock wheels with 10mm spacers front and rear.

Installation was very straightforward using the DIY posts here on M5board. There are some variations on the 2000 model for removing the rear shade but nothing that wasn't intuitive. I left the rear liners in place and had no troubles getting the old strut assemblies out with a bit of brute force. I left the rear adjuster sticking out through the speaker openings. After they settle a bit more and I'm confident of my settings I'll get an alignment done and tuck the adjusters back under the rear tray so they're not visible.

The ride easily passed the wife test; it is firmer than my old struts of indeterminate age but no where near harsh. I'd say it's on par with an e46 M3 in terms of ride. Gone is the annoying squat under acceleration and dive under braking that the worn struts gave me. The ride is controlled and not harsh in any way. No rattles, no squeaks, no different than stock in that respect.

I went with the Koyo bearings based on feedback from some of the M5 guys who had return-to-center issues with their steering. Tristan worked with me to have them installed before they shipped out so the assemblies arrived to me complete. I hit each of the strut tops with my impact gun, reset the preload on each spring to verify 5mm, and installed them.

Contrary to what some have theorized, the 30-click adjusters make a huge difference. For kicks I set the car to full hard and it was like driving my old autocross car with H&R Race. On full soft it bounces around like a Civic with cut springs jouncing over bumps. I started in the middle at 15, then worked my way down until I found a nice compromise for our nice, smooth socal roads. YMMV.

I highly recommend these for someone who wants to lower their car for a reasonable amount and wants the range of adjustments that coilovers provide. The included camber plates and positive reviews from respected fellow M5 drivers, some who even track on their BC's, is what made me choose these over the Bilstein PSS. I'm glad I listened to them. You should too. Contact Tristan at Circuit Motorsports and tell him Tim (VacMan) sent you and you want the same setup: koyo bearings, rear adjusters and shipping to your door. I'm sure he'll take great care of you as he did me.

Tim

Had it a bit too low in the rear at first (24.50") and it rubbed on the front of the rear fender under load with 10mm spacers and 275/35/18's. Raising it just over 1/4" did the trick. I didn't want to sacrifice my spacers to be lower so I found a middle ground. I have a buddy with a fender roller so when I get by his house maybe I'll roll that front edge flat and put it back where it was.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats | MTech2 wheel | Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003

2000 E39 M5 | Stoptech brakes | Refinished OEM wheels w/10mm spacers | Powerchips Gold 91 | Timmay Tips/muffler delete | Functional brake ducts | DICE MB1500 Slimm diffuser | Cubic black trim w/alcantara boots

My Cars
    2003 540ia M Sport
    VacMan is it possible to get a pic of how the rear extenders look when poking out? I am trying to get and idea of what they llok like. And also how much did the bearings and and the rear extenders run all togetrher with the Coils?

My Cars
    E30ic, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony85 View Post
    VacMan is it possible to get a pic of how the rear extenders look when poking out? I am trying to get and idea of what they llok like. And also how much did the bearings and and the rear extenders run all togetrher with the Coils?
    Check this thread for lots of pics from a user on M5board. The adjusters can be cut to length...he drilled through the rear deck on his. I chose to leave them the standard length and tuck them into the speaker ports.

The regular price from Tristan is $995 shipped with the adjusters and coilovers. If you speak to him directly you might be able to get him to do something for you on the koyo bearings. I don't want to say how much more I paid for them, but it wasn't much. Many people are running without the koyos, but I didn't want to take the chance of getting the issues a few of them have had.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats | MTech2 wheel | Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003

2000 E39 M5 | Stoptech brakes | Refinished OEM wheels w/10mm spacers | Powerchips Gold 91 | Timmay Tips/muffler delete | Functional brake ducts | DICE MB1500 Slimm diffuser | Cubic black trim w/alcantara boots

My Cars
    2003 540ia M Sport
    Thanks VacMan for the insight. Much appreciated.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 528e
    Thanks for the info Tim! I just ordered a set today to replace my worn struts!

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Looks good Vac, I see you got the Nittos too - vary nass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    05 STi, 06 WRX, 03 911
    A few guys have asked us about these, bumping this for reference

"Keep Attacking..."
    Site - www.circuitmotorsports.net
    Email - sales@circuitmotorsports.net
    Phone - 407-325-2176
    Address - 2427 Forsyth Road Unit P Orlando, FL 32807

My Cars
    01 540it Sport/BrabusCLK
    Here's my update after 8 months of use on a V8/ 540 (FRONTS ONLY):

Pros
    1. Price
    2. Comfort and lack of issues FIRST 2 months
    3. Strait forward adjustment
    4. Cornering feel and handling at higher shock setting

Cons
    1. Front Spring binding/ popping after 2 months (solution was having to go back and buy $75 coil bearings that should have came with the kit and paying for labor again was not a good thing either)

2. Pillow ball mount feel (solution was adding the coil bearing for me but it might be different for others)

3. Standard 6K springs with kit for V8's; Comment: I feel that all V8 customers should probably get the 8K springs because I'm starting to notice that these 6K springs are not handling the weight of my car under heavy use like big freeway bumps (cornering is fine). It's not the right thing to do to rely on a shocks adjustment to handle the weight of a car because that has been my temporary solution to the problem. I foresee shock failure if I do not buy the 8K springs soon.

This is my experience for now. I am going to call BC Racing to find out how much the 8K springs are and I will report after all is said and done.

My advise is like I said, if you are looking to buy these you should ask for the coil bearings to avoid the spring popping/ binding. And if you have a V8 you should ask for the 8K springs for the front.

AND BE SURE NOT TO ADJUST YOUR HEIGHT BY MOVING YOUR SPRING PERCHES THUS LOSING SHOCK TRAVEL. ADJUST THE HEIGHT FROM THE SHOCK BODY SO THAT YOUR ENTIRE SHOCK AND SPRING ALL TURN TOGETHER UP OR DOWN THE THREADING ON THE SHOCK TOWER. IF YOU FAIL TO DO THIS YOU WILL HAVE PREMATURE SHOCK FAILURE AND YOU WILL MESS UP YOUR PRE-LOAD ON THE SPRINGS. THIS HAPPENED TO A MEMBER HERE.
    Last edited by CLKFAN; 11-18-2011 at 04:40 PM.

"If everyone thought the same when it came to modding there would be no thinking"

My Cars
    740SE, STi
    ^^

I actually went with 10k/8k combo, feels nice man, better than the GC with Koni Yellows, has anyone used theirs in winter yet? I'm debating to get a kit for the Ti, but since the Ti is an all year round car, I'm worry about the collars being seized.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigga View Post
    ^^

I actually went with 10k/8k combo, feels nice man, better than the GC with Koni Yellows, has anyone used theirs in winter yet? I'm debating to get a kit for the Ti, but since the Ti is an all year round car, I'm worry about the collars being seized.
    Put neverseize on the threads. When you want to adjust them, clean the threads and should be good.... That's what I do anyway.

I do agree that the 6k fronts are a little soft, even for the i6 cars. We'll see how they feel with the new engine tho.

Edit: I have 8k fronts...
    Last edited by Jesus Freak; 11-19-2011 at 02:39 PM.

My Cars
    2001 540i 6speed
    i am actually one of those "import guys" that took plunge into these coilovers many years ago with my lancer evo. here's my 1st hand experiences.

BC coilovers are NOT install and forget suspension. they will NOT last you a troublefree years of service like quality coilovers or oem shock/springs. i'm not saying they are horrible but be aware of these shortcomings.

that being said i owned bc coilovers as well as the megan track coilovers(also made by same company). both have very similar construction. the coilovers do not sit on any bearings so they will eventually make noise from steering inputs. you need to buy aftermarket pillowball points to make them last longer and quieter. if you dont have pillowball mounts, they will start clicking with steering input, sounds almost like springs binding and unbinding (with alot of clicks/clanks). you can grease, antiseize, and clean them all you want, its only temporary fix. also these are not made to ride smooth. bilsteins are made with just right amount of compliance and handling. bc coilovers rely heavily on springrates. when you turn the dial too soft, dont assume you turned your car into a 7 series... WRONG. instead your car will drive like a ricer civic with cut springs. adjustability is just a toy on these as it almost forces you to go middle setting. too soft and it rides like crap, too stiff and its too stiff for street imperfections. also these are NOT rebuildable(good quality suspension should be).

for anyone who bought this, i think you made a big mistake. for $1000, much better decision to buy bilstein shocks and springs. if you want high quality coilovers, i'd recommend you spend alittle more.
    2001 540i 6speed metallic silver

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Quote Originally Posted by mifesto View Post
    i am actually one of those "import guys" that took plunge into these coilovers many years ago with my lancer evo. here's my 1st hand experiences.

BC coilovers are NOT install and forget suspension. they will NOT last you a troublefree years of service like quality coilovers or oem shock/springs. i'm not saying they are horrible but be aware of these shortcomings.

that being said i owned bc coilovers as well as the megan track coilovers(also made by same company). both have very similar construction. the coilovers do not sit on any bearings so they will eventually make noise from steering inputs. you need to buy aftermarket pillowball points to make them last longer and quieter. if you dont have pillowball mounts, they will start clicking with steering input, sounds almost like springs binding and unbinding (with alot of clicks/clanks). you can grease, antiseize, and clean them all you want, its only temporary fix. also these are not made to ride smooth. bilsteins are made with just right amount of compliance and handling. bc coilovers rely heavily on springrates. when you turn the dial too soft, dont assume you turned your car into a 7 series... WRONG. instead your car will drive like a ricer civic with cut springs. adjustability is just a toy on these as it almost forces you to go middle setting. too soft and it rides like crap, too stiff and its too stiff for street imperfections. also these are NOT rebuildable(good quality suspension should be).

for anyone who bought this, i think you made a big mistake. for $1000, much better decision to buy bilstein shocks and springs. if you want high quality coilovers, i'd recommend you spend alittle more.
    This is the most valuable post in this entire thread.

"bc coilovers rely heavily on springrates. when you turn the dial too soft, dont assume you turned your car into a 7 series... WRONG. instead your car will drive like a ricer civic with cut springs."

Holy crap, that is funny.
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    2003 540ia M Sport
    So Vacman and Chigga any updates on the bc coilovers? I'm about to buy these bad boys in about a month. Any gripes or concerns we/I should know about before any initial purchase?

My Cars
    740SE, STi
    So Vacman and Chigga any updates on the bc coilovers? I'm about to buy these bad boys in about a month. Any gripes or concerns we/I should know about before any initial purchase?
    None, just ask for 10k/8k springs combo.

My Cars
    2003 540ia M Sport
    Thanks for anwering my question/concern. How is your car coming along Chigga?

My Cars
    740SE, STi
    Thanks for anwering my question/concern. How is your car coming along Chigga?
    Its in storage I'm just gathering parts for maintenance and small mods in Spring, the car has to go into bodyshop for paint correction and getting the jack pads area sorted since I drove it last winter, stupid me.

Right now I'm just tinkering with my wife's 318Ti, actually just got BC coilovers for it too, got bigger brakes for it, it'll be fun to do snow cross with that car.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigga View Post
    Its in storage I'm just gathering parts for maintenance and small mods in Spring, the car has to go into bodyshop for paint correction and getting the jack pads area sorted since I drove it last winter, stupid me.

Right now I'm just tinkering with my wife's 318Ti, actually just got BC coilovers for it too, got bigger brakes for it, it'll be fun to do snow cross with that car.
    Hi!
    What are your thoughts about the quality, and ride of these coil-overs compared to other more reputable brands (Bilstein, Ground Control, TC Kline, etc. ...?

Thanks!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 540ia M Sport
    Well fellas I pulled the trigger last night and bought my set bc coils. Tristan is a real stand up guy. Very good customer service and knew exactly every thing I needed as soon as I mentioned the word e39 540i... Lol. So they should be here for Tuesday hopefully. Thanks for all the input on the ride quality, issues, etc. It really helped me to make a clear on what I wanted for my 540.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    Whats the obsession with these coilovers that are destined to be short lived when you can get bilstein pss for about the same price? You guys just want adjustability settings?

From everything i have read here these things fall apart way too fast and have so many negative reviews but people just keeping buying them.

Enlighten me before i purchase my coilovers this spring.
    Last edited by topaz540i; 02-05-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    I don't think Bilstein PSS go very low, only PSS9 which is double the price. Somebody please prove me wrong because I would love Bilstein's over these

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    I would love to get bilstiens or GC'S. But to get the adjustability on other more "reputable" brand cost twice as much, and IMO you're just paying for the name brand.

My Cars
    97 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony85
    Well fellas I pulled the trigger last night and bought my set bc coils. Tristan is a real stand up guy. Very good customer service and knew exactly every thing I needed as soon as I mentioned the word e39 540i... Lol. So they should be here for Tuesday hopefully. Thanks for all the input on the ride quality, issues, etc. It really helped me to make a clear on what I wanted for my 540.
    You still moving up to Atlanta?

Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i
    Whats the obsession with these coilovers that are destined to be short lived when you can get bilstein pss for about the same price? You guys just want adjustability settings?

From everything i have read here these things fall apart way too fast and have so many negative reviews but people just keeping buying them.

Enlighten me before i purchase my coilovers this spring.
    Dont they have a lifetime warranty with a $95 deductible per coilover?

My Cars
    2001 540i 6speed
    the problem is alot of folks who never owned coilovers get the wrong perception adjustable coilovers means you can turn full luxury to full track "mode" simply by turning the knob. spring rate and internal valving go hand-in-hand, you cannot just throw the knob around without compromsing the ride. when you do, it throws off the balance of the two and you either get pogo ride(too soft) because its all spring and no dampening or rockhard ride (too hard) and you get TOO much dampening and almost no spring action.

quality coilovers have matched dampening to the spring rate you want. when someone needs to change one value, the other must be matched/adjusted to it. and there lies the issue with BC coilovers, these cannot be adjusted or revalved/rebuilt because you want different springs(nor will their warranty free replacement do a custom valving for you).

when pss9's were introduced into the evo market, many abandoned coilovers altogether as they realized their cheapy coilovers(like megans and BCs) were nothing but a "wanna-be" coilovers. ofcourse guys who already had expensive coilovers like bilsteins, ohlins, hks etc stuck w/ it.... give bilstein USA support team a call, and then ask yourself again... are you paying for bilsteins name or their expertise? call BC racing support and see if they know what they're talking about? lol. bilstein USA will answer any of your questions, rebuild and even custom valve for you at a very reasonable price. they even recommend you setups based on what spring rate your going for or what type of racing you prefer. all BC racing can say is we'll send you a new shock body if you have warranty. night/day difference.
    Last edited by mifesto; 02-05-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    2001 540i 6speed metallic silver

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    I will prob just buy the pss not the pss9. Half the price and im sure i would mess with the settings to no end. The pss are prob designed well enough for my street use that im better off without extra settings to mess up. For my use i would need nothing more than height adjustability to play with.

The reason i was considering pss is because the bilstein struts are said to outlast the car or at least last very long compared to other brands. Does this reputation for the struts also apply to the billy coilovers? This is my main reason for choosing them.

I want to do it right, do it once.
    Last edited by topaz540i; 02-05-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Freak View Post
    IMO you're just paying for the name brand.
    You're so wrong it hurts my head. I hate the internet. Your argument carries no engineering points and is as relevant to me saying chocolate chip cookies cure cancer.
    Last edited by webdesigner; 02-05-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast