Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: BC Racing Coilover Review

My Cars
    Pay me now, or pay me later as my friend told me. He said I would stay away from bc racing. *They're ok but definitely not worth it in the long run as they don't have customer support in the us so you can't get them rebuilt for a small fee like you can with the bilstein or ground control. *Those last two are far superior in my opinion. *They also use better materials and more importantly better springs.

Life's what you make it

My Cars
    03M3,all others gone
    Hmm hate to say it but your buddy is incorrect... They will replace the whole corner for $95 after a year aka a whole new corner.

And BC Racing North America is based out of Florida... so in fact there is stateside support...
    "Making friends, one state trooper at a time"

My Cars
    mr2 turbo, nissian pickup
    Quote Originally Posted by velocitygarage View Post
    Guys,

PICTURES OF THE COILOVERS are below.

FYI I dont work for any of these companies at all, I am just trying to spread the word on these coilovers.

I just got these BC Racing Coilovers from Tristan who works for http://www.circuitmotorsports.net/ . I just put a set on my E39 M5. I got them with Springs rates are 8K front and 6k rear which is close to the Bilstein PSS9 Spring rates.

Their Website:
    US
    http://www.bcracing-na.com/
    Taiwan
    http://www.bcec.com.tw/products_app/APP-BR-RA.htm

I have heard that BC Racing makes coilover for other companies.(possibly for megan, ksport and maybe a few others, thats what I "heard" but not sure though)

They were $999shipped with 'rear extenders' for the adjustment knob in the rear so you don't have to take the interior apart to adjust the stiffness.

Pillow ball mount with camber plates on the front. Rear upper mounts. 30 way adjustable.

Quality and build of the components are really good.

Ride quality is really good, I had Tein Flex coilovers that has the same design as these on a previous car(RX7) before and to me these coilovers ride just as good or better. It is set at 15 clicks front and back right now, was at 20 but that is way to stiff for daily driving. I'm still trying to dial it in to my liking might go down to 10-12 clicks or something.

I can take a few pics of them installed on the car if you guys like.

This is a pic of the coilovers just installed BEFORE I readjusted the front and rear ride height to be more even. Front was too high and rear was too low LOL.
    Sorry to dig up this old post but I would really like to hear how the coilovers are doing now that you have some miles on them. Any strange noises from them? Still going strong or have they started to sag or soften up a bit?
    I am looking into getting some of these and just wanted to hear from someone who has used them for more then a couple hundred miles

My Cars
    2001 LS430 Ultra Luxury
    any "track" guys care to give an opinion about these coilovers?
    - '01 LS430 Ultra Luxury...VIP Style baby! :bling:
    - '88 FC3S (417 RWHP on Dynojet @ 1 Bar) (SOLD)
    - '04 MDX Touring w/Nav (SOLD)
    - '04 Diamond Graphite Skyline 6MT w/ Nav & Aero (SOLD)
    - '02 Altima SE (SOLD)
    - '00 Maxima SE (SOLD)

My Cars
    01 LMB M5
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur12 View Post
    Sorry to dig up this old post but I would really like to hear how the coilovers are doing now that you have some miles on them. Any strange noises from them? Still going strong or have they started to sag or soften up a bit?
    I am looking into getting some of these and just wanted to hear from someone who has used them for more then a couple hundred miles
    I currently own velocitygarage's m5, and have put about 14000 miles on them myself. They are holding up just fine imo. High speed and low speed cornering has been above my expectations.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

My Cars
    M3, 540I, M5
    i am really thinking about going with BC coil-overs i just don't know where i can get them installed around the TN area.
    2006 e60 M5 Dinan S2
    2001 M5 Carbon Black Dinan Stage 3 - Sold
    2003 M-Tech 540i - sold
    1995 /// M3 Alpine White - sold

My Cars
    740SE, STi
    Quote Originally Posted by elvirb87 View Post
    i am really thinking about going with BC coil-overs i just don't know where i can get them installed around the TN area.
    Anywhere can install them, they are no more difficult than replacing the shocks and springs.

My Cars
    M3, 540I, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigga View Post
    Anywhere can install them, they are no more difficult than replacing the shocks and springs.

I just called around the quoted me 800 bucks + tax. thats with aligning the corners? i guess. Then i need to get a alingment. What do you think about that? to expensive?
    2006 e60 M5 Dinan S2
    2003 M-Tech 540i - sold

My Cars
    740SE, STi
    I just called around the quoted me 800 bucks + tax. thats with aligning the corners? i guess. Then i need to get a alingment. What do you think about that? to expensive?

Is that labor only? That's equivalent of 8hrs of labor!

My Cars
    E30ic, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    any "track" guys care to give an opinion about these coilovers?
    There are guys on M5 board tracking on BC's. Every thread I've seen has been nothing but positive. I'm definitely getting BC's when I get around to refreshing my suspension.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats | MTech2 wheel | Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003

2000 E39 M5 | Stoptech brakes | Refinished OEM wheels w/10mm spacers | Powerchips Gold 91 | Timmay Tips/muffler delete | Functional brake ducts | DICE MB1500 Slimm diffuser | Cubic black trim w/alcantara boots

My Cars
    M3, 540I, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigga View Post

Is that labor only? That's equivalent of 8hrs of labor!

tell me about it. I really dont want to spend another grand just on install. Thats what is killing me. sucks! Any suggestions?
    2006 e60 M5 Dinan S2
    2003 M-Tech 540i - sold

My Cars
    Too Many
    Nice to hear that...I bought a set o NEX full coilovers for my 528 for $800 and were extremely happy with the the way it behaved on the track and on the streets (able to do great drifts considering its an open diff) but the stiffness was way too much for any women i had in the car. I worked for a company who made calendars of exotic cars and models, I had to always drive them around town to dinners and on location at photo shoots. One thing they hated was the way I used to make their "twins" bounce over hard bumps. I had to go back to just stock struts and drop springs. The 528 is being sold to a friend that wants to do a supra twin turbo motor swap so I will surely try these BC's on my next e39. Anyone selling a blue, white, or red M5?

My Cars
    Too Many
    Oh and theyre not too difficult to install. I did it myself in about 6 hours

My Cars
    Too Many
    ...but you will need an alignment after

My Cars
    740SE, STi
    tell me about it. I really dont want to spend another grand just on install. Thats what is killing me. sucks! Any suggestions?
    Call! there's no way that shop is the only one that is willing to install it, use the regional forum to see who's a trust worthy indy in your area, at max its a 4-5 hr job with air tools, if its a seasoned indy with BMW's, 2-3 hrs, so $200-300 is a good deal, $400 is about the norm.

Or DIY, I did mine while the car was in my friend's bodyshop, so I had access to all the air tools and lift, it made it much easier, the front is the most pain in the ass, not because its hard, its the interior.

My Cars
    99 540it, 82 528e
    Well after about 7000 miles with using the BC Racing Coilovers, i have to warranty them out. They have binding and twanging noises comming from both sides. Now after a couple replies from emails they want to send me a bearing that goes on top of the whole setup! thats wonderful i said, that should fix the binding sound it makes whenever i turn or hit a pothole. Now i am more worried about the stability of the struts. It is pretty much a hassel and annoying to drive now, bouncy and extreamly unstable. I also included pictures of them installed as requested. Tried to contact BC to get me a new set because i ordered from them directly and they have all of my order info in theyre system. Its been about 2 weeks since i recived the last email and in the process of selling my car, about 10 very interested people came to look. but changed their mind after driving. this is embarassing, SAM please reply to my emails, or call me. I need a new set, after 7k miles......

My Cars
    645i; X5 4.8i; 525iT 5sp
    All good for me. Not many miles on mine, But I am starting to wish I went with the stiffer rates. The car is well controlled, relatively comfortable, and definetly better handling. But after getting over the intial shock of the non stock ride quality, you start to bump the damping because you like that on rails feel. Only problem is running the dampers too hard on the standard rates don't feel too good. So you come to a point where you feel you are half stepping. Even though the reason you got the stock rates was for "comfort".

Does my jibberish make sense?
    I love to flap my paddle..

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by rom View Post
    Well after about 7000 miles with using the BC Racing Coilovers, i have to warranty them out. They have binding and twanging noises comming from both sides. Now after a couple replies from emails they want to send me a bearing that goes on top of the whole setup! thats wonderful i said, that should fix the binding sound it makes whenever i turn or hit a pothole. Now i am more worried about the stability of the struts. It is pretty much a hassel and annoying to drive now, bouncy and extreamly unstable. I also included pictures of them installed as requested. Tried to contact BC to get me a new set because i ordered from them directly and they have all of my order info in theyre system. Its been about 2 weeks since i recived the last email and in the process of selling my car, about 10 very interested people came to look. but changed their mind after driving. this is embarassing, SAM please reply to my emails, or call me. I need a new set, after 7k miles......
    Rom I had considered purchasing a set of BCs and did quite a bit of research as well as talking with those who had these coilovers. What you described seemed to be a common occurrence if the nut at the top of the front coilovers is loose.

Try tightening that nut a see if it helps the clunking.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    645i; X5 4.8i; 525iT 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    Rom I had considered purchasing a set of BCs and did quite a bit of research as well as talking with those who had these coilovers. What you described seemed to be a common occurrence if the nut at the top of the front coilovers is loose.

It does not sound kike what he is discribing. But ditto, the preassebled torque specs must not be trusted.
    I love to flap my paddle..

My Cars
    99 540it, 82 528e
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post

Definatly didnt know that there was specific torque specs on all bolts. Makes me think if i correct them if the sound stops. Thanks for the feedback fellas. but again after a while driving it seems like all dampening is lost. I hate this. any suggestions, kinda wish i went with KW's now...

My Cars
    01 540it Sport/BrabusCLK
    Quote Originally Posted by rom View Post
    Do you remember what I told you about how to adjust the ride height?

This where you went wrong. You told me you had adjusted the spring perch to make the car sit lower. By doing this you allowed for less shock travel thus most likely destroying the shocks.

These coliovers height adjust by adjusting the shock tower threading below near the control arm so that the entire shock body moves up or down leaving the spring perch in it's factory position with the correct spring load. This allows for the shock to never change any shock travel thus keeping the shock in perfect working order. Mine are doing just fine after a few months, no issues at all.

So to recap what I'm certain happened. You adjusted the spring perch to lower the ride height when it was never to be touched unless adjusting pre-load on the spring. The height adjustment is at the lower part of the shock and adjusts by twisting the entire set up. I'm sorry you didn't listen to what I said when we met up last time. If the car is bouncing what you need is new shocks now. Expensive mistake. I'll call you in a bit to explain again.

Make sure you get them warrantied asap before the year expires.
    Last edited by CLKFAN; 06-15-2011 at 02:45 PM.

"If everyone thought the same when it came to modding there would be no thinking"

My Cars
    03 ///M5 - 11 X5d
    I think I am going to get a set of these for my 540i, wasnt really looking for coilovers, but the price is right and the reviews seem to be very positive.

I just have a few questions:

1. the OP mentioned his spring rates (8k/6k), is this a ordering option? or is this just how they come? I dont see any info regarding spring rates on circuitmotorsports website.

2. what exactly do the extenders do? I know they allow rear dampening adjustment without removing the hat rack, but how so? do I need to cut holes in it or access elsewhere?

3. I am happy with the factory sport ride height (540i/6) (after 210,000 miles on the springs) will I be able to achieve the same or slightly less? I drive on some rough roads and cant take much of a drop.

Thanks for any insight you can offer,
    Josh

My Cars
    2003 540iT
    I have had a set on the front of my 540iT for over a month now and love them. I do agree to an extent with the above comments about wishing I had gone stiffer than stock spring rates. That is until I get away from the burbs and into the city and then I'm cursing and playing the avoid the pothole and expansion joint game. You can easily adjust them to anything from almost scraping the ground to stock non-sport ride height. Very easy to work with.
    When setting them up for the first time here are a few important tips to save time and frustration. Set your ride heights before doing the alignment! If you are looking to keep the height you have now, park on level smooth ground and measure from the center of the centercap of the wheel straight up to the wheelwell arch. Do this for all of the corners. There may be slight differences. Average them out and work from there. Should be around 13.75" on your car. (@13.50 seems to be the most common ride height for lowered E39's from what I have seen) Different ride heights front to rear looks bad on E39's. Make sure they are all the same. Now that we have a number to work from install the coilovers and set to the prescribed height. Now do the alignment. The Coilovers will settle considerably over the first couple of weeks to a month as you drive it. maybe as much as 3/4-1". It's ok and perfectly normal. What I would do is about once a week go back and readjust the ride heights back to where you want them until they stabilize. When you put them back to the desired height you will also put the car back into alignment. This is a very easy process. To make it easy on yourself here is another tip. Take a measurement at each corner before lifting the car. Write them down and subtract that number from your ideal ride height and you will now know exactly how much to move the collar on the bottom of the strut to compensate. An easy way to do so is to loosen the clamp on the strut assembly and let the control arm drop a bit. Put a small piece of masking tape on the strut body even with the top of the collar. Now as you thread the collar down to adjust the ride height up you will have a point of reference to measure from. Generally you will only be adjusting .25-.5" at a time. Doing it like this you can adjust all four in an hour or less.
    I am currently running my rebound setting at 8 clicks back from full stiff. That is where it seems to match the compression/rebound valving of the Bilstein Sport Shocks I have on the rear the closest. Good Luck!

One more thing...Try calling BC Racing direct first before ordering from a third party vendor. They can be a little hard to get ahold of sometimes but they are extremely helpful and you may be able to do much better on price by buying direct. They also can discuss different spring rate and valving options with you. For a daily driver that won't see any real track use I'd stay with the 8k/6k spring set and standard valving but that is just me. Mine is pretty low and rides as good or better than stock. Very smooth and refined.

http://www.bcracing-na.com/index.php
    Last edited by Zintkala; 08-01-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03 ///M5 - 11 X5d
    Zintkala,

Thanks for some great info!

I order the coilers through circuit motorsport on Saturday, but I order them with the 6k/5k spring rates that Tristen recommended for a 540i daily driver. Do you think this will be too soft? I commute 60miles a day and the roads aren't great but I do want decent performance as well.

Thanks again
    Josh

My Cars
    2003 540iT
    I'd stay with the 8k/6k spring set. Going softer will probably mean that you'll end up with the rebound adjustment maxxed out which will have a much more dramatic effect on ride quality that the stiffer spring will. What will happen is that it will be soft on big bumps and harsh and jiggly on small ones. Just the opposite of what you want for a refined ride.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast