Thread: Driveshaft Butyl Tape

My Cars
    '01 525iTa

Driveshaft Butyl Tape

Hello all-

I'm in the middle of replacing the driveshaft on my '01 525iT. I ordered a reman driveshaft, and the company told me it came with everything I needed aside from a guibo. This is true, but it didn't come with butyl tape.

I need to get the car back on the road by Monday. What can I use in place of butyl tape? Any suggestions for getting something from a brick and mortar store on a Sunday morning?

I'm considering getting 3M Window tape from NAPA and just doubling up on it, but I'm not 100% clear on the purpose of the butyl tape.

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    When I did mine (Giubo, DS, repacking REAR CV Joint), I did not use Butyl Tape.
    However, if you insist, then I guess you can use Black RTV Sealant.

Here is the DIY I did a while back:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=914069

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    I've R&R'd at least 6 Bimmer driveshafts and have never used butyl tape. Where do you plan to use it? Is this a substitute for a new CV joint gasket?

My Cars
    '01 525iTa
    I think it's supposed to be used as a cushion of sorts between the body and the center support bearing.

I'm gonna use cnn's advice and use RTV.

Thanks fellas.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    There was none on my 540. If you look at an M5 in RealOEM it shows the butyl. It does go between the body and the center bearing support bracket like Rusting said.
    AutoZone sells it, it's usually right next to all the RTV's and sealants. Get some butyl, it's not messy like using RTV.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Interesting. My 6-30-2015 ETK shows it for all 6 cyl E39's also. I've never noticed it when removing driveshafts. I'm surprised they would want a resilient material between the bearing and floor pan. I suppose most of it squeezes out when bolts are tightened. Perhaps it's a water or sound seal.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    When I did mine, there was a bit of Butyl Tape there between the CSB and the body.
    I simply gather it back in place, add a bit, and I am good.
    Personally, I don't think this Butyl Tape thingy does not to reduce noise/vibration. With or w/o Butyl Tape, life moves on.

BTW, I always keep some Butyl Tape at home, it is useful for Vapor Barrier job, odds and ends in different cars (such as loose door panel (broken clips in the Volvo), I just shoved some Butyl Tape to make sure the door panel sticks to the metal door frame.

My Cars
    '01 525iTa
    Thanks JimLev. I checked AutoZone.com and saw nothing regarding butyl on there.

I went to the store and found it. Part number MW38115 for $16. Much more than the $5 that ECS wants, but now I have 15 feet to keep on the shelf.

For what it's worth, it was installed on my car originally.

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Now that you have that done, how about some pics of that Grand National over in the Hangout?

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach540 View Post
    Now that you have that done, how about some pics of that Grand National over in the Hangout?
    ......under the hood shots too.

I think the butyl tape main function is to dampen out any resonate frequencies.

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post

......under the hood shots too.

I think the butyl tape main function is to dampen out any resonate frequencies.
    When I did my csb, I forgot to install the butyl tape, no issues what so ever. Crucial part is where it placed and how proper torque. And as Jim stated for dampening resonate frequencies. Mine is absolutely fine.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    When I did mine, there was a bit of Butyl Tape there between the CSB and the body.
    I simply gather it back in place, add a bit, and I am good.
    Personally, I don't think this Butyl Tape thingy does not to reduce noise/vibration. With or w/o Butyl Tape, life moves on.

BTW, I always keep some Butyl Tape at home, it is useful for Vapor Barrier job, odds and ends in different cars (such as loose door panel (broken clips in the Volvo), I just shoved some Butyl Tape to make sure the door panel sticks to the metal door frame.
    I agree w/ all this. NAPA or any other FLAPS will have loads of generic butyl that is 100% the same as OEM. I don't think there's any point in using RTV as its not a sealing/bonding function there, so I'd either reuse old or go without or slap some generic butyl in there. I also have 2 different size format rolls lying around from various car jobs (tail-light seals most commonly) I'd just use some of that. Yeah same stuff that the door vapor barriers use, although in that case I might look for more premium stuff as it's a more critical seal...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)