Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 - did any have keyless entry

My Cars
    1997 M3

E36 M3 - did any have keyless entry

Did any of the 95 - 99 M3's come with key fobs for keyless entry? Looking at a 97 with no paperwork and just a single key.

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    Yes. I believe it was standard in the M3 and optional in the series cars. You can buy the security system/ keyless entry and fobs for like 300 bucks. I'll get a link, just a second.

Part number 82 11 1 469 444 on Bavauto.com (Can't link because of their website)

It is 370 bucks, but if it is pre-wired for it all you will have to do is replace the security box behind the glove box and the new fobs will work. The dealer can also make you a copy for an extra key, which I would recommend.

You can install the security box yourself, its not that bad, follow the DIY instructions for Cabin Air Filter replacement and it will be visible in one of those steps. . . . While you have the glove box off replace the cabin air filter.
    Last edited by E36BMW3series; 07-13-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2006 911 C4
    My 99 doesn't have/never came with keyless entry. But I'm a guy so its only an inconvenience, and I can deal with it. For girls it may be a safety thing.
    2006 Carrera4
    1999 M3

My Cars
    Bubbleless
    My current 95 m was ordered with the factory alarm. I have both key fob and key too.
    My old 95 m did not come with the factory alarm so it just depends if the original owner or dealership ordered it.

Just get an aftermarket alarm like I did for my last m and you're golden. Have them wire it so your windows will auto up when you arm your alarm. No worries about forgetting to close your windows and not have to sit in a hot car waiting for the windows to close.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    I saw a different M3 that had a BMW labeled siren horn under the hood on the passenger side in front of the strut tower. Does this mean that the alarm and keyless are packaged together or was it possible to do keyless without the horn? Now I'm just curious.....

My Cars
    '99 Estoril/Grey M3
    It was a dealer-installed accessory. There was no factory alarm system for the US E36 M3, and I do not believe it was offered to the Europeans. Most E36 cars came pre-wired for the BMW alarm, but the alarm was never installed at the factory.

It is all one system - the car is pre-wired and has the hood sensor, but the BMW alarm kit includes the tilt sensor and the alarm module, along with the alarm siren (I'm not sure if the window break sensors are part of the pre-wiring, I think they are).

Many cars had the alarm accessory ordered and installed at the dealer upon arrival (much like the M rear wing until 01/95 - it was only installed by a dealer, not the factory). My '99 M3 did not.

1999 Estoril/Gray M3

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Thanks - good information!

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    my '97 came with keyless entry....the PO gave me 4 keys total...two with BMW keyless entry (master and spare), one valet key, and one wallet/flat key....

*edit* part number on mine: 82 11 1 469 448 with BMW stamped on it...
    Last edited by tokbandit; 07-14-2009 at 02:57 PM.

My Cars
    m3
    i thought it was an option with the bmw alarm ?

My Cars
    '96 M3
    I'd really like to have this, not even for the siren/alarm, but for the keyless entry itself.

My key has the small amber light bulb that illuminates when I press down the BMW emblem so I can see the actual lock at night. But locking and unlocking still takes me a minute because I'm anal about it.

Scratches around the door handle =

My Cars
    '98 Estoril M3/4/5
    ^

I'm in the same boat. I really want the keyless entry but remotes are expensive. Gf thinks I'm an idiot for trying to spend so much money on one.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by mipktb View Post
    I'd really like to have this, not even for the siren/alarm, but for the keyless entry itself.

My key has the small amber light bulb that illuminates when I press down the BMW emblem so I can see the actual lock at night. But locking and unlocking still takes me a minute because I'm anal about it.

Scratches around the door handle =
    my master has the light too.....and I am very anal about scratches too...thats why I was very happy when I purchased my M3/4/5 that it had factory keyless entry....

the part number on mine is : 82 11 1 469 448 with BMW stamped on it...

Quote Originally Posted by desynch View Post
    ^

I'm in the same boat. I really want the keyless entry but remotes are expensive. Gf thinks I'm an idiot for trying to spend so much money on one.
    it is so worth it.....after having 6 cars without it...and my last two bmw's with it...expensive or not its so worth it....

plus my GF likes it when I spend money on our BMW's...and she really loves the keyless entry also...I feel it is a safety feature for her so that she doesn't have to spend so much time locking or unlocking the car in a dark parking lot... maybe you can try to explain it that way if she drives your car too...
    Last edited by tokbandit; 07-14-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, 97 740iL
    Wait so how can I tell if my 98 M3/4/5 has the key less entry feature?

I have the key that has the amber light but it doesnt lock or unlock my doors either.
    :

My Cars
    '98 Estoril M3/4/5
    Check to see if you have a red led near the asc button.
    Check to see underneath the hood if there's an alarm (passenger side).
    Last, a definitive check to see is when you pull your glovebox and see that there's a black BMW box in the wiring.
    Last edited by desynch; 07-14-2009 at 03:54 PM.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Am3n View Post
    Wait so how can I tell if my 98 M3/4/5 has the key less entry feature?

I have the key that has the amber light but it doesnt lock or unlock my doors either.
    :
    its not the key itself...its a remote....but here is what mine looks like...

I blurred out some of the numbers...

My Cars
    '98 Estoril M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by tokbandit View Post
    my master has the light too.....and I am very anal about scratches too...thats why I was very happy when I purchased my M3/4/5 that it had factory keyless entry....

the part number on mine is : 82 11 1 469 448 with BMW stamped on it...

it is so worth it.....after having 6 cars without it...and my last two bmw's with it...expensive or not its so worth it....

plus my GF likes it when I spend money on our BMW's...and she really loves the keyless entry also...I feel it is a safety feature for her so that she doesn't have to spend so much time locking or unlocking the car in a dark parking lot... maybe you can try to explain it that way if she drives your car too...
    I literally decided on a whim to try fixing my old broken BMW remote from years ago. I used a Subaru keyless fob that I got from ebay for the Forester/Outback/Impreza models. The fob itself doesn't work with BMWs, but I replaced the 2 black chips from the old BMW fob to the Subaru and now have a working keyless entry again!

Finished about 20 minutes ago!
    Last edited by desynch; 07-14-2009 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    I literally decided on a whim to try fixing my old broken BMW remote from years ago. I used a Subaru keyless fob that I got from ebay for the Forester/Outback/Impreza models. The fob itself doesn't work with BMWs, but I replaced the 2 black chips from the old BMW fob to the Subaru and now have a working keyless entry again!

I found this on a website before......

BMW keyless remotes allow quick entry, locking and trunk-opening. With a few easy steps, you can bypass the fee your dealership may charge to program your system. Your keyless remote can be programmed in minutes, without any past knowledge.

Step 1:
    Close all of the doors on your car, including the trunk and the hood. Remove your key from the ignition.

Step 2:
    Open the trunk and then get in the car. Close the driver's door and put the key in the ignition.

Step 3:
    Turn the key one click to the right, then back to the off position. Repeat this process quickly five times, ending in the off position. This process must be completed in 10 seconds. If successful, you will hear a beep.

Step 4:
    Open and close your driver's door and press any button on your remote to begin the programming process. The red light on your remote will flash on and off.

Step 5:
    Open your driver's door and get out of the car to close the trunk. Close the driver's door and wait for the keyless remote to emit another short beep. The programming is now complete.

My Cars
    '98 Estoril M3/4/5
    Yeah, I didn't have to do any of that. My alarm still had the remote ID from my old BMW one and it just transferred over no problem.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5

I will keep that in mind if I have problems with mine

My Cars
    '98 Estoril M3/4/5
    I posted in the e36 thread, but here's the link to the thread for reference:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1239570
    Last edited by desynch; 07-14-2009 at 04:14 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Quick question... I pulled a complete OEM alarm setup from a parts car at work and installed it in my newly acquired 95 M3 today. It works great, remote remembered its association with the brain box and it couldn't have been easier to install.

I'm curious though.. the turn signals don' flash. My previous 99 M3 had the same OEM alarm installed before I bought it and I'm 90% sure the lights flashed on that one.

So.. question is... are the lights supposed to flash/pulse when you lock/unlock the car? I've looked at diagrams and I don't see any specific reference to that. If not.. clearly it can be done. Have others tapped into a wire under the glovebox or just run one to the headlight switch?
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1997 M3
    From post #2 in this thread, if you go to Bavauto into the security area, they have an alternative to the BMW alarm/keyless that is just keyless functionality for about half the price.

My Cars
    04 760 Li, 09 F-150
    My 97 luxo had a factory keyless and alarm. I removed it though for a updated Viper but it worked fine.

2004 760 Li

My Cars
    95 E36 M, XC70
    I haven't noticed the signals flash on mine when I hit, but honestly don't pay much attention. What I do notice is the loud as hell OE siren chirping.

My Cars
    97 //M3/4/5 & 99 //M3/C
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    Quick question... I pulled a complete OEM alarm setup from a parts car at work and installed it in my newly acquired 95 M3 today. It works great, remote remembered its association with the brain box and it couldn't have been easier to install.

I'm curious though.. the turn signals don' flash. My previous 99 M3 had the same OEM alarm installed before I bought it and I'm 90% sure the lights flashed on that one.

So.. question is... are the lights supposed to flash/pulse when you lock/unlock the car? I've looked at diagrams and I don't see any specific reference to that. If not.. clearly it can be done. Have others tapped into a wire under the glovebox or just run one to the headlight switch?
    Yea it's weird the lights don't flash when you lock / unlock, but they do if the alarm gets set off. There is a how to out there to make them flash when you arm / disarm.

Quote Originally Posted by hcaleman View Post
    I haven't noticed the signals flash on mine when I hit, but honestly don't pay much attention. What I do notice is the loud as hell OE siren chirping.
    If you hold down both buttons at the same time when the system is disarmed the alarm LED will flash. This turns on and off the "chirp" when arming/ disarming.

Quote Originally Posted by E36BMW3series View Post
    Yes. I believe it was standard in the M3 and optional in the series cars. You can buy the security system/ keyless entry and fobs for like 300 bucks. I'll get a link, just a second.

Part number 82 11 1 469 444 on Bavauto.com (Can't link because of their website)

It is 370 bucks, but if it is pre-wired for it all you will have to do is replace the security box behind the glove box and the new fobs will work. The dealer can also make you a copy for an extra key, which I would recommend.

You can install the security box yourself, its not that bad, follow the DIY instructions for Cabin Air Filter replacement and it will be visible in one of those steps. . . . While you have the glove box off replace the cabin air filter.
    You can also pick them up used. I picked up a used one from Bavarian Auto Recycling for about $150.
    Last edited by alanilil; 07-14-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast