Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: INPA not working on early 90's cars?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318
    benemorius - I have the same problem when trying to use INPA on my 1994 E36 M43 engine BMW. I can connect to all other modules but not the DME. How did you manage to overcome this on your setup? Thanks, Scott

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    You have an ADS interface?
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318
    Hi yes I am using an ADS interface.

Scott

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    If you are having difficulty reading a car equipped with a DME 1.7 (M42 or M43 engine) with INPA, try communicating directly with the DME using EDIABAS Tool32. The file you need to load is DM172K20 for the M42 engine or DM173K20 for the M43.

My Cars
    1992 E36 Coupe
    Hi!

I just finished installing and setting up INPA 5.0 on my old laptop.
    Surprisingly I was able to access nearly all modules except DME.
    The DME 3.1 is missing from the e36 engine selection menu (MS40.1 and DME3.31 exist)

Could an earlier version of INPA support this DME or am I just missing a script file?
    Im running INPA with ads connection on a 1992 M50B20.

cheers

EDIT:
    So i tried INPA 3.01 and the script for this older dme was not included.
    Is it so that INPA is not able to read DME3.1 or am I just missing something.
    It is irritating that all other modules are available with INPA except DME..

Carsoft 6.5 is able to connect with the DME and read the error memory.
    Should I next try to go with DIS? Or does someone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by stume; 11-03-2010 at 06:15 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318is Class II
    i have an E36 1994 and i use Inpa with ADS connector and cloned Interface and i can't read any data...

e36 1.8is Class II M-Technik

My Cars
    1994 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bvogdan View Post
    i have an E36 1994 and i use Inpa with ADS connector and cloned Interface and i can't read any data...
    What ads interface and inpa use?

My Cars
    1992 E36 Coupe
    Sorry for bumping this old thread,

I'm still wondering about the same problem that I described above, is there any way to establish a connection to the DME 3.1 -non vanos M50 (other than carsoft..) and get some data out?
    I've been searching around but haven't really found any info regarding this old 3.1 Motronic & INPA.

If someone has any ideas I would be grateful!

My Cars
    1991 BMW E34
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Gentlemen, download INPA v3.01/EDIABAS v6.4.3 from the NCS folder here http://www.4shared.com/dir/3U37f2mH/NCS.html (you will need help ). Follow the ENGLISH SETUP.pdf and you will get full functionality. Remember that the early cars phased in diagnostic functions and many did not provide a means of communication with the DME. You will need an interface with ADS functionality (and to select ADS as your interface during installation of the software) to gain maximum access to available modules (which will be limited by the car design rather than INPA's ability). If you work carefully you will not need to be employed by NASA to achieve a good result.
    Hi. I need password to download from 4shared.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Inpa
    Last edited by KevinMullins; 06-28-2011 at 06:48 PM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW E34
    Thanks.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by stume View Post
    Sorry for bumping this old thread,

I'm still wondering about the same problem that I described above, is there any way to establish a connection to the DME 3.1 -non vanos M50 (other than carsoft..) and get some data out?
    I've been searching around but haven't really found any info regarding this old 3.1 Motronic & INPA.

If someone has any ideas I would be grateful!
    I bought Snap-on MT2500 scanner just so that I can read OBD1 BMWs without problems. It even shows live data, and reads all the modules that have some sort of code giving memory. Money well spent. No more time wasting with pirated crap bmw software and my old laptop.

My Cars
    Z3Q
    Hello,

i have bmw scanner 1.36 with interface and Ediabus with interface(inpa compatible), USB to serial adapter cable and obdII and 20pin cable for newer cars.

I need ADS interface for my Z3 with 20pin connector, so can i modify any of mentioned two interfaces to be like ADS interface as i saw on the internet they have interfaces with knob witch is use to choose between OBDII or ADS mode so i assume that inside of interface it can select betwen different pins or something similar?

I use this two interfaces for e46 and other but i would be glad if i can use it also on e36 and older. For e36 i ned kkl, so i just conect with extra wire a 16# pin form 20 pin conector and 1# pin at the obdII 16 pin conector, this is for batt+? I read that this 16# pin is only for autodetect that without INPA still work, on the other side i also read that without 16#pin INPA wont start the readings.
    So i wire this two pins between obdII and 20pin conector and with obdII ediabas interface INPA will work for e36 cars and older?

So i have
    -BMW scanner 1.3.6 with interface
    -OBDII Ediabas (it says "inpa compatible")
    -USB to serial cable (virtual COM port)
    -ADS (20 pin)connector on one side and on the other side is male 16pin connector that connect to ediabas obdII female connector and obdII ediabas conect to USB to serial cable and than trough USB to computer.

Please if someone has DIY link with pictures that i can use to build/modify this two interfaces i allready have.

On this picture is my tools that you can see inside what they look like

In EDIABAS interface a see that pin 15 is not conected to PCB.
    Last edited by markob; 10-14-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW e36, 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemac View Post
    Hi. I need password to download from 4shared.
    Hi!
    Please give the actual password for downloading from 4shared the Inpa v3.01. Thanks!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i

My Cars
    BMW e36, 325
    Many thanks! But where there particularly version 3.01. I have found only 5.02 and 6.4.3?

My Cars
    BMW e36, 325
    The people help please! Where to take a version INPA for diagnosing the DME3.1? e36 91 M50B25.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    I bought Snap-on MT2500 scanner just so that I can read OBD1 BMWs without problems. It even shows live data, and reads all the modules that have some sort of code giving memory. Money well spent. No more time wasting with pirated crap bmw software and my old laptop.
    Really, my pirated crap software will crap on the snap-on day and night. Have fun resetting a blocked alarm. Can your crap-on adjust height of a SLS? Didn't think so. Total investment into a laptop that will do late 80s to current cars is $200 with buying a laptop and cables needed.
    How much did your crap-on cost?

Quote Originally Posted by darkThread View Post
    The people help please! Where to take a version INPA for diagnosing the DME3.1? e36 91 M50B25.
    Privet,
    I have issues communicating with the OBD1 DMEs with INPA in ADS and OBD modes, instead I use GT1 in ADS mode to read codes/clear faults/ and view real time data of the DME in my E32/E34.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Privet,
    I have issues communicating with the OBD1 DMEs with INPA in ADS and OBD modes, instead I use GT1 in ADS mode to read codes/clear faults/ and view real time data of the DME in my E32/E34.

Quote Originally Posted by markob View Post
    Hello,

i have bmw scanner 1.36 with interface and Ediabus with interface(inpa compatible), USB to serial adapter cable and obdII and 20pin cable for newer cars.

I need ADS interface for my Z3 with 20pin connector, so can i modify any of mentioned two interfaces to be like ADS interface as i saw on the internet they have interfaces with knob witch is use to choose between OBDII or ADS mode so i assume that inside of interface it can select betwen different pins or something similar?

I use this two interfaces for e46 and other but i would be glad if i can use it also on e36 and older. For e36 i ned kkl, so i just conect with extra wire a 16# pin form 20 pin conector and 1# pin at the obdII 16 pin conector, this is for batt+? I read that this 16# pin is only for autodetect that without INPA still work, on the other side i also read that without 16#pin INPA wont start the readings.
    So i wire this two pins between obdII and 20pin conector and with obdII ediabas interface INPA will work for e36 cars and older?

So i have
    -BMW scanner 1.3.6 with interface
    -OBDII Ediabas (it says "inpa compatible")
    -USB to serial cable (virtual COM port)
    -ADS (20 pin)connector on one side and on the other side is male 16pin connector that connect to ediabas obdII female connector and obdII ediabas conect to USB to serial cable and than trough USB to computer.

Please if someone has DIY link with pictures that i can use to build/modify this two interfaces i allready have.

On this picture is my tools that you can see inside what they look like

In EDIABAS interface a see that pin 15 is not conected to PCB.
    Stop wasting your time and just buy Gert's ADS/OBD interface. It's the best ADS/OBD 20pin cable you can buy, I even built a 20pin to OBD2 converter to use on never cars like E46/X5 and it works awesome.
    You cannot use a USB->Serial converter, you need a laptop with an actual serial port for ADS mode to work. They're cheap since they're old now.
    Last edited by DUDMD; 11-23-2011 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    BMW e36, 325
    Hi DUDMD!
    It`s clear that GT1 is cool, but is expensive! I have only INPA/EDIABASE interface. I need to diagnose DME 3.1 with INPA, but I haven't found in 5.02 and 6.4.3 the support of DME3.1, only 3.3.1. Here a question - where to take a version INPA with support DME 3.1?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Gerts interface works with gt1 just fine, and it will diagnose your DME just fine.

My Cars
    BMW e36, 325
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    Gerts interface works with gt1 just fine, and it will diagnose your DME just fine.
    Do you mean the DIS, which with GT1 is delivered? Does works DIS over INPA/EDIABASE interface with DME3.1?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Do you mean the DIS, which with GT1 is delivered? Does works DIS over INPA/EDIABASE interface with DME3.1?
    I use DIS v44, it works with my OBD1 540i DME just fine. I use INPA most of the time to just reset things, but there's a lot of modules that the INPA won't access on my E34, that's when DIS with Gert's interface in ADS mode has 0 problems doing everything I want it to.

You need to have a REAL serial port connector on the laptop and a REAL ADS interface, obd2 to 20 pin converter will not work with older BMW's, usually 95 and older need an ADS interface to work with all modules on the car. USB to Serial converter will not work. That's why Gert's interface is a serial connector that is a 20 pin plug, it's the only way to work with older BMWs.
    Last edited by DUDMD; 11-25-2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW e36, 325
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    I use DIS v44, it works with my OBD1 540i DME just fine. I use INPA most of the time to just reset things, but there's a lot of modules that the INPA won't access on my E34, that's when DIS with Gert's interface in ADS mode has 0 problems doing everything I want it to.

You need to have a REAL serial port connector on the laptop and a REAL ADS interface, obd2 to 20 pin converter will not work with older BMW's, usually 95 and older need an ADS interface to work with all modules on the car. USB to Serial converter will not work. That's why Gert's interface is a serial connector that is a 20 pin plug, it's the only way to work with older BMWs.

Many thanks for the information!!! I will try to install DIS. I have a version 57.

My Cars
    E36 328i M54B28
    I've been trying to get my self a diagnose kit for my 1993 E36 325i. However, without knowing about this ADS interface or about the USB issues. In short, I bought a USB - OBD2 cable and OBD2 - OBD1 adaptor. After reading a bit more (a bit late though, as I already bough the cables!), found out the USB won't work and I'll need a real serial com port (that implies buying another laptop too) and this interface. Now, where can I get the interface from? Or what should I be googling for? Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast