Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: INPA not working on early 90's cars?

My Cars
    740, 850, M3

INPA not working on early 90's cars?

Hello everybody!

I'm new to the forum, I've been reading this forum for a while since I got my OBD interface for INPA. (wish I could read the bmwecu.org forum too!)

For some reason I can't get it to work with my -91 E31, but it works great on the -95 E38 740. Tried it on a -91 E36 with no success, and on a E39 M5 and that worked fine.
    I actually tried two versions of INPA. I think one is a russian compilation with only EDIABAS and INPA, and the other is a complete package with WinKFP etc.
    The russian version gives me some responses on a few modules on the E31, but a lot of error messages keep popping up.
    The 'real' version seems to have no connection at all with the E31 (IFH-0006).
    I have been reading a lot in the documentation (FAQ etc) that comes with the package, checking and trying some changes in obd.ini, ediabas.ini, serial port buffer settings etc.., but with no result.
    Also tried to compare the ini-files between the two versions,and they are similar even if format seems to vary a little (number of variables mainly)..

HW & SW:
    -The interface PCB has 'Teleway EDIABAS OBD Rev 2.00' printed on it. +OBD2 to BMW 20-pin adapter. The adapter works on E38 & E39

-The computer is a Compaq M700 with serial port running Win XP.

-INPA versions are 5.02('real') and 5.00 (low spec version).

I have many questionmarks, when it comes to the hardware and software, but maybe there is a simple explanation to why it doesent work?
    The strange thing is that there is some communication (even if it's very bad) with one version..

Hope somebody has some info!

/Sam

My Cars
    BMW E32 92' 730i, Audi 80 B2
    I think our old car need ADS interface its more expensive than the OBD interface

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    Thank you for the reply!

I suspected this could be the case. My brother has now ordered a ADS compatible (copy) interface, so if that works I know for sure..

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I think this is the problem "+OBD2 to BMW 20-pin adapter" Your car is not OBD compliant so you need an interface that connects directly to the 20 pin (which an ADS interface will do).

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    The E38 does not have a OBD2 connector either, but the interface & adapter works fine on that one..
    I'm just thinking that maybe it has something to do with L-line?
    The funny thing is that i get some communication with the E31 using a 'hack version' (i think it's russian) of INPA. A lot of error messages all the time, but I can actually get some data between the error messages. Can't remember which unit though, some body-related unit.
    Well, I will just have to wait and see what happens with my brothers interface.

My Cars
    BMW E32 92' 730i, Audi 80 B2
    yea its the L-line that is incompatible. E38 is OBD compatible I think early e38s are not OBD2 but OBD1. I recived my ADS interface and I'm going to test it on my E32 92' M30B30 DME1.3 tommorow will see what It can do.

I test this pseudo ADS interface and I think it work a bit. With INPA when i chose E31 ZKE2 i could get some results even tho i get scrip errors when i try to do some test/clear memory... I guess its becouse my car is not e31 lol. When I select other tests from e34/e31 it give me Identification errors all the way...
    I got DIS working but It look like it don't even connect with the interface (
    It just hang @ please wait.
    So I guess either the Interface is not real ADS or DIS is unable to work with EDIABAS ADS interfaces but only OBD...
    Last edited by AcOrP; 07-27-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    Hello again!

My brother has now tried his ADS&OBD interface (2 in 1) with Ediabas configured for ADS.
    Interface: doitauto.de/product/BMW-Diagnostic/ADS-OBD-Ediabas-Inpa-Interface.html?HHGsid=0923bea029c9704192aa992e8383 bdd4

He can only connect to the ABS in his -91 E36. For the other ECU's he's getting error messages about ecu object files not found even if the file is there..
    Also there are some questionmarks on the path after trying to connect once
    pics:
    tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2u8ylmw&s=3
    tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ho8ti8&s=3

Same problem with both versions of Inpa as I mentioned before

It's working fine on a E39 though.
    Has anybody successfully used INPA 5.02 on E31, E34, E36??
    Last edited by Rallyfinnen; 08-13-2009 at 05:21 AM.

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    'Bump'

Has nobody successfully used INPA on E36/E34/E31 ?

My brother has still not been able to get INPA working on his E36 using ADS interface. I can't decide what interface to get for myself (sold the OBD interface I had), or should I forget INPA for these cars?
    If (a big IF) I could get GT1 running with a OBD or ADS interface(?), would that work on these models?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I have used an ADS interface to connect to several E36's, both 4 & 6 cylinder, but the version of INPA I am using is 3.01. There are a number of incomplete versions of INPA floating around and you may have one that is missing the earlier data files. Mine is the full (albeit earlier) version. PM me with an email address for more details.
    Last edited by David Mc; 08-29-2009 at 08:35 AM.

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    Thank you for the input!
    Seems I can't send PM's...Don't know why?
    Not too keen on posting my email in public either, mailbox would probably be flooded by spam..
    Last edited by Rallyfinnen; 09-04-2009 at 03:27 AM.

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    I think I'm prepared to finish this thread.. Seems INPA will not work with E31, E34 and early E36 (-91 325). So, as a reference to those who want to diagnose these cars, don't get INPA! However it does seem to work on some units on newer E36 models.
    However it's good for newer models, so I guess I will get a cheap OBD interfaca for INPA, and something else (maybe Carsoft) for the older cars.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i OBD1
    the inpa can read the following module on e36 328i obd1 version:
    IHKA (digital climate module), ABS MK4G, DME (MS41.0), EGS, EWS II, ZAE BEA (airbag)

the ZKE IV module will be able to read by inpa with the RXD and TXD link up somewhere by manually (K and L line),

the only module cannot be read was IKE (instrument cluster) and BCV (18 buttons board computer)

anybody have any idea how to access these two module (IKE and BCV)?

My ews2 module recorded 3 keys was programmed, insteads i only own
    2 keys, i need to remove the 3rd key in the ews2 module.
    Anyway can it be erase/remove with inpa?, ncs?,..
    Last edited by jokerthepoker; 09-15-2009 at 01:57 PM.

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    Ok, so it will work on some of the newer modules.
    The cars I tested were motronic 3.x with manual gearbox and manual climate control. Guess the ABS was an older version too..
    Still I find it strange that the INPA has been around for a long time and has a lot of older cars in the menus, but it's not working..
    I wonder if the old models have been 'forgotten' in updates(not tested after updates). Maybe an old version of INPA & Ediabas would work with these cars?
    For example an update to 32-bit Ediabas could be one thing were they went wrong?
    Last edited by Rallyfinnen; 09-16-2009 at 05:17 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i OBD1

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyfinnen View Post
    Ok, so it will work on some of the newer modules.
    The cars I tested were motronic 3.x with manual gearbox and manual climate control. Guess the ABS was an older version too..
    Still I find it strange that the INPA has been around for a long time and has a lot of older cars in the menus, but it's not working..
    I wonder if the old models have been 'forgotten' in updates(not tested after updates). Maybe an old version of INPA & Ediabas would work with these cars?
    For example an update to 32-bit Ediabas could be one thing were they went wrong?
    The Inpa interface actually access every computer module, the only problem was the current module software does not support by the driver on the ediabas, it require new script/driver programing for the older module in the ediabas/inpa.

if the previous inpa version supported with the module, soo, they should carry forward with the new inpa version. the newer version was the better.

anyone can access everything for the e36? obd1 and obd2?
    my airbag module was 1992 version, it can access and perform anything.

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    I have used an ADS interface to connect to several E36's, both 4 & 6 cylinder, but the version of INPA I am using is 3.01. There are a number of incomplete versions of INPA floating around and you may have one that is missing the earlier data files. Mine is the full (albeit earlier) version. PM me with an email address for more details.
    YES, that was the answer i need the earlier data files,
    Last edited by jokerthepoker; 09-17-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    750iL 1996
    @Rallyfinnen
    Hope you're still about... Really interested in what you got working on your E38. Is it euro spec? I've got a UK 750iL 1996, with no OBD connector, just the 20pin under the bonnet.

I've had no success using INPA and a clone '100% INPA USB interface' off eBay. If you got it working then I will persist. Which interface did you use?

I've successfully connected OBD2 software using the 20pin adapter but just get API/script errors when ever I've tried to use INPA.

Thanks

My Cars
    BMW 520i
    Hey guys, I just bought and ADS interface, tried connecting to my 1995 E34 M50B20TU which uses Siemens MS 40.1 with INPA 5.02, no error message, but for some reason it takes too long to connect. It gets stuck with the lower left corner saying "Busy". Any suggestions?

My Cars
    bmw
    What type of hardware interface are you using??

The working setup i have is i use a genuine DK head (aka GT1) and run dis and sss through vmware. Then i route the required ip setting for inpa through vmware and use gt1 as interface.....with no trouble at all?

Also be careful where you get ncs/inpa from as many people post there "OWN" version of it which can introduce many problems! Last thing you want to do it use a dodgy copy of ncs and damage a car JUST to save a few dollars!!

I have latest copies of ncs/inpa and win kfp and a few other bmw manufacturer packages! (these are genuine might i add)

Also most of these problems people are getting in this post is because ncs is not set up correctly with hardware interface...its not hard to set up but can be if you don't know much (not to be offensive) a descent programmer would be able to figure it out!

Any script errors mean set up between interface and software are not set correctly!

And people using non genuine hardware interface, things bought of ebay, Chinese rip offs of dk head or ops you might as well throw it in the bin! Ops and dk head need special firmware updates to be able to use ncs/inpa and win kfp. Chinese ones wont cut the mustard! they are not designed to do so!

jokerthepoker you dont need ncs to do what you need to. you just need to reinitialize you key to the car. all this documentation can be found in tis!
    Last edited by danthebmman; 03-05-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    750iL 1996
    I've now managed to get INPA reading EML module, ZKE & transmission amongst others with a non-modified eBay VagCom USB cable.

Mine's a 1996 UK 750iL with 20pin under the bonnet only no OBD.

I wasn't able to connect to the two DME 5.2's m73. So I haven't got any useful errors The right one complains 'command not accepted' then 'object file not found'. The left one complains 'Command not accepted' then 'DM521R0, DM5212L2, DM5212L3 not found. Control unit not found' then 'object file not found'.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

My Cars
    E36
    Also no luck getting INPA working on an early 90's e36. (92 m42 engine). Haven't tried yet on the e39, e46, or e90.

Error message I get is, "Datatransmission to interface disturbed.". Also changed the serial bus to 8 up and down FIFO with no luck.

Anyone every manage to get past this error message? It seems like it's a popular error.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Gentlemen, download INPA v3.01/EDIABAS v6.4.3 from the NCS folder here http://www.4shared.com/dir/3U37f2mH/NCS.html (you will need help ). Follow the ENGLISH SETUP.pdf and you will get full functionality. Remember that the early cars phased in diagnostic functions and many did not provide a means of communication with the DME. You will need an interface with ADS functionality (and to select ADS as your interface during installation of the software) to gain maximum access to available modules (which will be limited by the car design rather than INPA's ability). If you work carefully you will not need to be employed by NASA to achieve a good result.
    Last edited by David Mc; 07-20-2010 at 04:30 AM.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Gentlemen, download INPA v3.01/EDIABAS v6.4.3 from the NCS folder here http://www.4shared.com/dir/3U37f2mH/NCS.html (you will need help ). Follow the ENGLISH SETUP.pdf and you will get full functionality. Remember that the early cars phased in diagnostic functions and many did not provide a means of communication with the DME. You will need an interface with ADS functionality (and to select ADS as your interface during installation of the software) to gain maximum access to available modules (which will be limited by the car design rather than INPA's ability). If you work carefully you will not need to be employed by NASA to achieve a good result.
    Are you sure you have INPA v3? The one you linked to has v4.4.7 and EDIABAS v6.4.3. If you really do have 3 or something else and it does work with an OBD1 e36 DME, I should very much like to know where you found it. I have INPA working with all other modules except my DME (3.31 - DM331K20) and protocol analysis shows that it looks more like a software problem than anything else. I can't be sure as I don't have a working example of INPA/EDIABAS to compare it to. What I do have is my own communication with my DME, so I know my DME is in working order.
    Code:
    -> [10]
    <- <55><00><81>
    -> [7e]
    <- <0d><01><f6><33><31><34><30><30><32><31><36><32><30><03>
    -> [03][02][09][03]
    <- <0d><03><f6><33><32><36><37><35><33><37><36><32><31><03>
    When I try connecting with INPA, it sends an extra byte (81) to the DME before the DME has time to send its packet. It looks to me like INPA is then hearing its own echo of 81 and taking that as the size of the packet to be received instead of 0d which then comes right after it. Then it tries to read far too many bytes (81h instead of 0dh) and eventually gives up.
    Code:
    -> [10]
    <- <55><00><81>
    -> [7e][81]
    <- <0d><01><f6><33><31><34><30><30><32><31><36><32><30><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03><03>
    I've tried 5.0.1/6.4.7 and 4.4.7/6.4.3, but I haven't seen anything as old as 3. Trying all different versions doesn't seem terribly productive, but I'd feel a lot better if I knew I was using a version which other people were using successfully with the same DME. If anyone would care to confirm a working version on a 3.31 DME, it would not go unappreciated.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    That is truly INPA 3.01. I also thought it was 4.x, but thats the version of the SETUP file.

When you load it, and F1 in INPA it confirms it is indeed 3.01.

(Freaked me out also.....)
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    That is truly INPA 3.01. I also thought it was 4.x, but thats the version of the SETUP file.

When you load it, and F1 in INPA it confirms it is indeed 3.01.

(Freaked me out also.....)
    Right you are. Thanks. I don't suppose you've used it with the same DME as me have you?

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Nope. Only V8 cars
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Ok, it definitely works with both versions I have. Turns out INPA didn't want to hear its own echo at all when talking to the DME. Funny how it doesn't seem to care for all the other modules. Error handling is pretty horrid too. Looks like someone was slacking off when it came time to program the DME functions. Seems to me like it should have been the other way around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast