Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth/Auxiliary Input Retrofit.... Interesting results (56K should die)

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport

Bluetooth/Auxiliary Input Retrofit.... Interesting results (56K should die)

Alrighty Then.....

I'm sure a few of you remember my thread from March, 2009 about the auxiliary input retrofit. If not, check out the link below:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1193939

Well, here's the deal...

I've been doing tons of research lately to see how cheap i could put together a bluetooth retrofit kit. The dilemma is that not all bluetooth ULF's work with the Iphone. I wanted to make sure that if i go through with this, it would work with my current phone. My research led me to a fellow bimmerhead who uses the 4th generation bluetooth module with the Iphone. He said it works flawlessly. I read every word on bimmernav's website as well. Come to find out, one of the BIGGEST module changes came with the 4th generation. i thought for sure that i could get a 4th generation or newer module used for cheap.

I searched Ebay for a couple weeks. Finally, i found a 5th generation module on Ebay.uk. It went to a bidding war and i won the final bid of $130. Wow right?

Now i needed the rest of the parts. Thanks to Randy at EIS, the supplier to bimmernav, for all of his parts and support. Coming in at just over $200, i was able to get the remaining components for 2001 e39. Randy knew EXACTLY what i needed to get this going. In the end... Everything cost me right at $350 for a 5th generation OEM bluetooth retrofit that is compatible with the Iphone 3G.

The installation went smooth. Completely plug and play. I used the instructional videos on bimmernav's website, and everything went smooth. The bluetooth pairing was simple as well.

THE PROBLEM::::::::::::::::::::::::

So, the phone call.... I would make or receive a call, and the person on the other end of the phone could hear me, but i couldnt hear them. what's the deal. I searched and searched, and thought of something. What if the harness that i removed and replaced with the auxiliary adapter had something to do with it? i remember having to remove an OEM harness and leave it to the side in order to plug in the AUX harness. i went out to the car, removed the stereo, removed the auxiliary adapter, and plugged the OEM harness back in. Sure enough, it works!!!

I looked at the two pins, which are the exact same and fit in the same place and noticed that 2 of the 10 pins are used for the OEM harness, and 3 other pins are used for the auxiliary harness. I then thought "they've got to be able to work together as one harness!"

Here's the pics to show how i was able to combine the two retrofits into one:

I'm sure i'm not the only one who has had this problem...

First remove the MID and CD/TAPE deck. Use any DIY to get this done. Very easy:

Next... Remove the OEM harness from the MAIN harness in the back of the CD/TAPE deck.

The AUXILIARY input harness. OEM part.

The two are exactly the same, EXCEPT.... look at which wires are used.

The OEM harness (BACK)

The Auxiliary Adapter harness (Back)

Simply remove the wires from the auxiliary harness using a small screwdriver, and install them into the oem harness. Make sure to document or remember the positions, and make sure the aux wires end up in the same position when put in the OEM harness.

The final harness:

Install the final harness back into the main harness.

The MID... STUPID PIXELS!!! (not anymore thanks to LuisGT)

And of course... a deuche video.
    Last edited by Bonswa; 07-13-2009 at 06:46 PM.

My Cars
    E39 E46 E36
    Great work. That is definitely something I would like to do. Nice writeup.

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    The thing is... There's not many people who will do BOTH retrofits. That's the only way that you will run in to the problem i had. If you do one or the other, its no problem. When you do both, their harnesses conflict each other.

Another main point that i wanted to get across was the fact that older generations of the bluetooth ULFs will work with the iphone 3g. the problem in the past was that the iphone didnt work with the ulf. the iphone's software was the problem and not the ulf. now, since firmware version 2.0, the problems have been solved.

basically, 4th generation modules and later will work with the iphone 3g's.

OH... also, thanks Gumb's and xxpanpurixx for all of your help as well.

My Cars
    E39 E46 E36
    I have a couple MIDs in good shape if you're ever looking to replace that one.

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    wow I love this
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 225,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by JTheis View Post
    I have a second one. I think the plug is different though. I'm going to see if it works. If not, I may have to take you up on that offer.

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    Great work. That is definitely something I would like to do. Nice writeup.
    Well... Now that i know what i'm doing, and have a good bit of contacts for parts, i'm going to keep looking for deals like i did for my setup so that i can put together a full retrofit package and sell it. quick and easy if you find the right deal, know what parts to look for, and (the key) where to find them.

I just checked again, and that MID i have doesnt work. you positive that ALL of the pixels work?

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    You could have a new HU (Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer) for the money you spent to have a bluetooth compatible with your iphone. This comes with iphone input and USB as well and I'm talking installed! Ask me how I know. Not bashing you, but anyways, Good luck with the problem you encountered and hopefully fix it.

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by easymoney View Post
    You could have a new HU (Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer) for the money you spent to have a bluetooth compatible with your iphone. This comes with iphone input and USB as well and I'm talking installed! Ask me how I know. Not bashing you, but anyways, Good luck with the problem you encountered and hopefully fix it.
    FIRST AND FOREMOST.... pics of aftermarket HU??

I cant find the VOMIT smiley right now to give an adequate response.

Aftermarket head units look terrible. The only aftermarket headunit i would get is the Avic-Z2/3 or that nice 7" Kenwood with the added on bluetooth module. PLEASE!!! I beg you... show me one of those that's under the $350 that i spent for my OEM integrated bluetooth and auxiliary setup. I will "buy it now" and deliver it to you. Also, find me the Janus-design bezel (the only bezel that looks good at all) for less than $200 with the mounting bracket and all. Most run $250+

Seriously though, I'de rather not funk up my interior by adding aftermarket junk to it.

My goal was to add OEM auxiliary input and OEM bluetooth compatible with the Iphone for as cheap as possible. I believe i have accomplished this goal. Too many people have been questioning the iphones ability to work with the older generation bluetooth ULF's. I've just cleared that question for the future that it is possible. Also, in case CHIEFWEJ decides to add bluetooth one day, he'll see what he needs to do with that harness from when he added his auxiliary.

Oh.. and you said "Good luck with the problem", but there is no problem. This is a success story if you would have read it, meaning WIN.
    Last edited by Bonswa; 07-13-2009 at 12:56 PM.

My Cars
    E39 E46 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonswa View Post
    Well... Now that i know what i'm doing, and have a good bit of contacts for parts, i'm going to keep looking for deals like i did for my setup so that i can put together a full retrofit package and sell it. quick and easy if you find the right deal, know what parts to look for, and (the key) where to find them.

I just checked again, and that MID i have doesnt work. you positive that ALL of the pixels work?
    Yes. I have a a couple of them and the last time I checked they were all good. I will plug them in and double check.

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    Thanks bro. PM me when you find out.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5

if the mid has the white plug instead of the normal black one... all you have to do is cut the 2 front tabs that the cable plug has... I fitted a X5 MID into my E39 with no problems... and I now have all pixels working

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by LuisGT View Post
    if the mid has the white plug instead of the normal black one... all you have to do is cut the 2 front tabs that the cable plug has... I fitted a X5 MID into my E39 with no problems... and I now have all pixels working
    You're the man, bro... I'm going to try that RIGHT NOW... i'll post back.

The business cd that i bought a while back came with the mid. that's the mid that isn't working. When i look back, the setup DID come from an X5.

You just cut JTheis sale though, if this works.

Thanks bro.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Holy batshit robin, it worked... I'm doing a writeup as we speak. <-----Speak?

Also, i've updated the pics to reflect the WIN.

Thanks a ton LuisGT. I didnt even look into WHY it didnt fit, i just knew it didnt. I gave myself an ultimate Brock Lesnar face palm when i saw how easy it was to modify.
    Last edited by Bonswa; 07-13-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    It is... I used a nail clipper to modify mine... lol

and Sorry in advance to JTheis
    Last edited by LuisGT; 07-13-2009 at 06:58 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    nice write up

My Cars
    E39 E46 E36
    You're the man, bro... I'm going to try that RIGHT NOW... i'll post back.

The business cd that i bought a while back came with the mid. that's the mid that isn't working. When i look back, the setup DID come from an X5.

You just cut JTheis sale though, if this works.

Thanks bro.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Holy batshit robin, it worked... I'm doing a writeup as we speak. <-----Speak?

Also, i've updated the pics to reflect the WIN.

Thanks a ton LuisGT. I didnt even look into WHY it didnt fit, i just knew it didnt. I gave myself an ultimate Brock Lesnar face palm when i saw how easy it was to modify.
    No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by LuisGT View Post
    It is... I used a nail clipper to modify mine... lol

and Sorry in advance to JTheis
    No problem at all. I have just had these sitting around and will eventually sell them.

Nice work!! Glad it worked out for you.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    That's dope!!!

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    FIRST AND FOREMOST.... pics of aftermarket HU??

I cant find the VOMIT smiley right now to give an adequate response.

Aftermarket head units look terrible. The only aftermarket headunit i would get is the Avic-Z2/3 or that nice 7" Kenwood with the added on bluetooth module. PLEASE!!! I beg you... show me one of those that's under the $350 that i spent for my OEM integrated bluetooth and auxiliary setup. I will "buy it now" and deliver it to you. Also, find me the Janus-design bezel (the only bezel that looks good at all) for less than $200 with the mounting bracket and all. Most run $250+

Seriously though, I'de rather not funk up my interior by adding aftermarket junk to it.

My goal was to add OEM auxiliary input and OEM bluetooth compatible with the Iphone for as cheap as possible. I believe i have accomplished this goal. Too many people have been questioning the iphones ability to work with the older generation bluetooth ULF's. I've just cleared that question for the future that it is possible. Also, in case CHIEFWEJ decides to add bluetooth one day, he'll see what he needs to do with that harness from when he added his auxiliary.

Oh.. and you said "Good luck with the problem", but there is no problem. This is a success story if you would have read it, meaning WIN.
    +1. Most of the aftermarket stuff ends up looking like hack jobs. BTW, I finally got around to buying and installing the factory ULF bracket in my car...took a couple tries to figure out how it went in...but fits and looks perfect. Only took me three years of having the ULF flopping around above my cd changer before I finally did something about it.

My Cars
    2001 540i; 2001 750iL
    Hey Bonswa, it's good to see you got this working finally. I'm just back from a trip to Africa and have a bit of time (and interest) for this. Do you have a part list available?

My Cars
    2001 540i; 2001 750iL
    I suppose I am one of those guys destined to make unanswered remarks

My Cars
    Audi A6
    BimmerNav has all the Bluetooth parts you need.

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturi962 View Post
    BimmerNav has all the Bluetooth parts you need.
    I think they stopped selling all the good stuff
    http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/index.php
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by Camarok View Post
    I think they stopped selling all the good stuff
    http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/index.php

I think BimmerNav was updating the site or moving or some such...everything is back up again.

I had great success using their products, but it appears that it is way less expensive to go the TCU route these days, rather than the ULF. Anyone interested in a oem type bluetooth solution for their BMW should search "TCU bluetooth" on bimmerfest and bimmerforums for more into. Looks to save you $250 to $300 over using the ULF module and you get the same result.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    wooo hoo, yeah back up and running!
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast