Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: E30 GT35 m52 street/track demo car

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo325ii View Post
    Hey, I think I was the one wondering how you attached the rear bumper, as I am currently in the same boat. It took me a second to figure out exactly how you did this but I think I got it.

So you cut that piece from a normal non m3 bumper attached it to the body, then held up the bumper in the desired position, then screwed into the piece that you put on the body, then slid the bumper back with the piece attatched by the screws, then you made the aluminum pieces to fit??? Am I on the right track?

How did you secure the bumper in the rear regarding the bumper shocks?

I used all stock pieces from an original non M3 e30 (because that is what I have). I slid the bumper side piece onto the car side in fully where it belongs. Pushed my cover over the bumper reinforcement bar where I found I need it to be to line up correctly. Then figured out where there would be plastic available on the bumper mount opposite where I needed to run screws to locate it to the cover and drilled holes in the cover. Then used long wood screws that drilled and screwed themselves into the plastic mount so that the alignment of everything was perfect when pulled on bumper cover so that the screws were flush. Pulled the cover and fashioned aluminum feet so to speak that pushed the plastic taught against the screws like it was on the car. Once the aluminum frame/feet were made and located I used self tapping screws to attach to the plastic now the system is locked in place ready for a test fit. Once it is determined everything is good, bond it all together and remove the long wood screws.

I am attaching the cover to the body underneath using aluminum straps. I could bond it to the cover but then I would have to drill another hole to access the bumper bolts and I don't want to do that. So the cover and bumper will remain separate. There is slight bowing and such in the cover that the straps will fix. The side mounts are fairly stout in holding the bumper so having four bottom attachments to the body will have it solid enough. The thing only weighs like 8 lbs!

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    Ok, that is how I read it. Great! Lets see the straps on the bottom so we can get a visual!

My Cars
    bmw e30 widebody
    Very nice progress Kevin! Let me know when your ready for your other "GOODIES"
    www.ESMWheels.com
    www.DTMFiberWerkz.com

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by widebodyye30 View Post
    Very nice progress Kevin! Let me know when your ready for your other "GOODIES"
    thanks Ary! Hoping it will look nearly as good as your car!

Update: yesterday was a disaster! I went to pick up the much needed intake spacer flange and immediately noticed that the machinist was given the wrong drawing from my contact (its a long drawn out sorted kinda story) But suffice to say, I have made sure that the machinist (be aware it isn't the machinists fault it's his boss', my contact) has the correct drawing to input the measurement points. I have checked and double checked everything and it should start right up. I have an appointment for alignment FIRST thing on Friday morning so I can start getting it driveable ASAP so I can go the the GTG on the 11th with the car. In the mean time, a buddy is helping me do the finish bodywork and get some areas in primer. He knocked out the passenger side with a quickness yesterday evening and is ready for glazing and then primer. The drivers side will be as close today as the passengers side was yesterday so it will be ready for primer friday evening! I spent copious amounts of time trying to smooth out the hood yesterday and it is starting to pay off. I think that the car is actually going to look better than my expectations of a dedicated track car (which is cool!) I took stock of the ride height and decided that I could actually lower it a tad (so I did). Here is how it looks this morning:

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    After our talk yesterday, I was thinking we were dead in the water. So, I'm hoping to hear some good news when I stop by tonight!
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn View Post
    After our talk yesterday, I was thinking we were dead in the water. So, I'm hoping to hear some good news when I stop by tonight!

Bring your video camera of choice... Getting the correct flange at 5pm! The ship aint sunk yet!

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Woot woot get it done dude!!!! It's always a blast nailing down the last few thing to get your ride done!

Good luck dude!!!
    -Chris

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by So Live View Post
    Woot woot get it done dude!!!! It's always a blast nailing down the last few thing to get your ride done!

Good luck dude!!!

Thanks Chris! I am definitely working on it! I leave in about an hour and a half (just a 14mi round trip) to get the infernal flange spacer! I finished up doing the last vacuum hose things (minor stuff) and been doing more body work... so I thought I throw up this pic of the first layer of the door molding shave job I am working on:

honestly, kinda happy... both sides turned out so good all I will have to do is glaze and finish sand and they'll be done! My buddy showed me some tricks to make things go smoother and faster.

Update... man... I am about to kill someone! First it is this morning, then this afternoon, NOW it's tomorrow... where as this is getting predictable, will be in the afternoon, and then maybe next wednesday, where I'll start this whole thing over again. Man, if only I could afford a vertical mill! I would have made it my damn self!
    Last edited by DTRguy; 10-08-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    The body is looking too mint. I'm gonna be scared to drive this thing!! (not really, but kinda )

Fingers crossed for the spacer being made today!
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    Got the doors filled... Nice, Nice. The progress is great! What is that above your skirts? Did you fill those and smooth them or something? Just curious.

My Cars
    325i, 3/4ton Truck
    this project rocks!! how did you get the fiberglass molds?

Quote Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post
    please tell me that's not 1/4" of bondo/ kitty hair
    Becoming a Professional OT Troll . CAN Bus Project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuRBQzGs-c VGT/VNT +LDA controller: http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/

Quote Originally Posted by [B]SilverBeam[/B]
    Dude you're the biggest asshole ever. I will never reply to your texts or call you back EVER!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser
    I'm Stupid
    Diesel > gas

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keaton View Post
    To fill the door recess, yes it is. If its kitty hair, thats fine, bondo... not so much.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by Keaton View Post
    this project rocks!! how did you get the fiberglass molds?

It's more like an 1/8" and it is short hair fiberglass... Really tough stuff... The surface was prepped with 36 grit all metal, and the holes that were there for the door trim will have the filler squeezed into it and it will be permanent for the life of the car... trust me.

So I wanted to share this (while my soldering iron heats up)...

Dime meet Dollar...

Yep got the flange...

I tried to start it but quickly found out I had no ignition... so, through tearing into the harness I found that for some dumb reason my coil power wire (which I couldn't seem to find the end anywhere) was not hooked to ignition power. Soon as my soldering iron is up to temp that will be fixed and I'll be on to other problems (hopefully not...).

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    Looking great!!! Hope she starts up for ya! whats the flange for??? Spacing??? Sorry I know its a sensitive subject cause of all the problems you had getting it.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Update.... IT LIVES!!!!! YAY!!!! SOUNDS WICKED!

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    Congrtats!!! Video! Video! Video!

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo325ii View Post
    Congrtats!!! Video! Video! Video!
    video was taken... Anthony has to put it up now... Hopefully he will soon. I haven't even seen the video. I was too busy working on the idle/throttle tuning. Apparently also I was a little low on gas... It ran out. Friends are bringing up some so I can continue making sure it runs well enough to drive up for it's alignment.

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Awesome dude! Glad to hear she's runnin. Can't wait for vids!
    -Chris

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Anthony will try to get the video's up tomorrow... they are from his phone so don't expect the best sound quality as the car is loud as hell when revved. This is how it looks now:

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy, i'm excited to see this in action!
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by M3_MadBimmer View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy, i'm excited to see this in action!

Yeah me too! I am hoping that it goes well... so far I've had a couple of minor things pop up. I think I got a handle on most of them. It starts and idles very nicely. I did just try to put the hood on for the night and realized that the BOV hits the hood So... tomorrow after I get it back from alignment, I will have to remove the intake, and modify that section of the plenum so that it will have clearance. I am NOT going to mess with the hood anymore. I have already spent too much time on it as it is! Definitely not something that I expected. Minor though in the grand scheme of things. If I had that spacer sooner I would have known about that issue!

For now, I am going to have to go hoodless for it's first drive up the street! If it weren't raining right now I'd have already taken it for a drive. I think it's ready!

My Cars
    e30 m3's - e34 iT Turbo
    wow wow great work

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    Man, well since you've done just about exactly what i wanted to do. I'm going to HAVE to do the ls1.

Can't wait to see video, any video.
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by M3_MadBimmer View Post
    Man, well since you've done just about exactly what i wanted to do. I'm going to HAVE to do the ls1.

Can't wait to see video, any video.

DO IT!!!

First drive report!!!!

Drove up the 1/4 mile to where I have cars' aligned and I have to say... Impressed! First off, suspension isn't too brutal at all! Clutch, no where near bad (as I thought it was going to be). Actually easy to drive if you can believe that?! Maybe it is because I have such big tires/wheels and 2.93 rear end? Dunno. Either way, very pleasing and not a PITA like I expected. Drivers side tire rubbed outer fender despite much clearancing UGH!!! Maybe after alignment it won't... but either way, both fenders will receive more clearance work. The brakes... OMG! They need to work themselves in some but that should be a good thing... however they are snap your neck strong! I spilled my morning coffee just tapping them! That is a major surprise... should be very good for the track I'd say for confidence in braking! I haven't boosted it or anything yet... I want to make sure the running gear is good, and the alignment is good and such. So here it is sitting at the shop I have the car aligned at:
    (cell phone pic)

Hopefully today I'll be able to rework the intake plenum to allow the hood to fit! WHAT A PITA!

My Cars
    m3, gtr
    that last pic makes it look really, really good

congrats

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast