Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: E30 GT35 m52 street/track demo car

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    looks awesome dude! Downpipe is beautiful. I love the hard coolant/oil lines too, its a nice touch. I think i wanna do some stainless hard oil feed line and plumbing for the WG too.

Keep it up!
    -Chris

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    Quote Originally Posted by qscftz View Post
    Just saw this thread and although off topic for this section of the forum:
    How did you fit the rear fenders? I am currently at the start of fitting almost exactly the same parts that you seem to be using. I have got more than 20 year experience of working with fibers and resins or prepregs but have not fitted something like the rear fenders before. I am planing to cut away all unnecessary metal panels on the rear as I will have a cage welded in. Where I see some probelms to arise is not the mounting of the panels themself but how not to get cracks on the joint between metalwork and grp. Any advice, or where I can get some?
    I build custom body kits. What you do is take the contact area of the car where the fenders will make contact down to the bare metal. About 2 inches above and just below the contact point will be good. Then tooth both the fenders and the cars contact points with 50 or 80 grit paper. Fit the fenders and and pre drill the rivet wholes. One every 2.5 -3 inches should do. Trace your fender line then remove the fenders and cut out any unwanted metal below the contact point.

What i do is break up or pull apart chop strand fiber and build a very thick mushy fiber/resin mix (mix your hardner and resin then throw the broke down fibers in). Use enough fiber so that it soaks up all the resin but not so much where the fiber looks dry. Mix enough to complete 1 fender because you have to get the entire contact area covered before placing on the car. Then fit fenders to the car and rivet it together. I like for resin to squeeze out the ends when all tightened up.

That down pipe is all sexy as hell!
    Last edited by lughed; 09-10-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    530i E60
    Wow, everything looks awesome and looking forward to the intake side of things being done. Been following the thread since it started.
    GG
    Rito

530i E60 Wizard of Nos Nitrous System/STS Rear Mounted Custom Turbo(PSI_unknown)

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Looking good Kevin. I am looking forward to seeing it run!

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Looking good Kevin. I am looking forward to seeing it run!
    Thanks! Yeah... You and me both! I just figured out the throttle return setup and throttle cable end arrangement. Now waiting my intake spacer to be CNC'd, make gaskets, throttle cable (in the mail) and I'll be ready to fire it up!

Here is a pic of the basic arrangement... still doing a couple of tricks for it to work better this was taken to show a buddy of mine how I was doing it so it's just a mock up for ideas sake

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Throttle cam and cable holder piece made! Also, not seen in pictures is a spring holder so that the spring isn't just being held down by the manifold bolt. I may have to continue working the throttle cam some... won't know until I get the cable and run it to the pedal. I always size the cam to allow the smoothest softest pedal (while using a stout return spring) and get obviously full WOT.

Check it:

that is one more little project knocked out! Man getting anxious now! Still have to make two gaskets for my intake manifold spacer (waiting on spacer plate)... hook up the throttle cable (when it arrives in mail), and run two tiny hoses to my turbo cooling tubes. To be continued...

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    i love it
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Big bit of little stuff taken care of today! Most of which has nothing to do do with first firing because I am still waiting on my machinist for the intake spacer. But, I did finalize my throttle cable arrangement because the cable came in today! Throttle feels very good!

I was also able to finish the exhaust bits for the crankcase ventilation and the o2 sensor... so I bolted that up for hopefully the final time! I decided that I am completely ok with the way the tips look... so they are staying as is.

Pic for posterity of the exhaust off of the car...

I have been meaning to finish all of my turbo lines... that was finally done today as well. Also hooked up all of the power steering plumbing. So many things finally coming together!

hopefully I get what I need soon and maybe I'll be hearing this thing run by the weekend. I have other things to attend to on Wed and Thurs so unless I get the part tomorrow or Friday it won't run until next week!

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Lookin awesome dude! Cant wait to see how she runs!
    -Chris

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    updates?!
    -Chris

My Cars
    93 325iS
    +1!!

My Cars
    Audi A6 2.7T 6SPD
    Great project. Everything looks perfect and nice job on the welding too.

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    Cool build.

Where did you get the ITB's?

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by So Live View Post
    updates?!
    +1!!
    Few days ago I finished making all of the necessary gaskets for the intake, and finalized the ITB's to the manifold but I am still waiting on my spacer... MIGHT be getting it today. So, yesterday, I put oil in it, hooked up the main power, checked the starter YAY it turns on the starter! So far so good... then I hooked up the computer to the ECU and did some prelim setup. Heard the factory pump run... that's good! Put a fuse in the big pump wiring and heard that run, fixed a leak or two on some fittings and set the base pressure. I also saw that I have the crank sensor at least wired correctly... the cam... well, that might be an issue (but thankfully, it will run just fine without it). I also have some other things I want to research as far as timing and such. So, I am dropping off the driveshaft today for building and balancing, waiting on my rear shocks to come in the mail. Those are the last things in the way of driving once I get it running. Maybe tomorrow I'll be hearing it run. When I do, I'll try to get a little video of it.

There isn't really much to show other than a giant mess really while I wait on the spacer flange... It has the fuel/injector harness and vacuum lines and manifold all displaced here and there while I work around it. I will have pics of it completed of course whenever that takes place!

Quote Originally Posted by josephmotors View Post
    Great project. Everything looks perfect and nice job on the welding too.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 3literheater View Post
    Cool build.

Where did you get the ITB's?
    Thanks! The ITB's are Extrudabody 50 taper 45 units... Check them out! they are really stout units and they are constantly coming up with updates and things to make them even better!

Well while I am still waiting to hear back from my machinist about my intake flange... I wanted to make sure my oil supply line to the turbo was in fact working (there are two outlets on the filter housing... one for the pressure sensor switch, the other was just blocked off. I used the other... well, apparently, that wasn't working. Maybe it is some sort of return or something I don't know. So I made up a new system that incorporates the switch and my feed line. I read through searching that is what is needed and couldn't really come up with any sort of easyish way of doing it... but I managed to get something worked up and it works wonderfully. Oil pressure is everywhere it is supposed to be thank goodness. Now if I could only get the part that I need so I can hear this thing fire up! Gonna sound rowdy... can already tell. You can hear the engine pumping through the exhaust
    Last edited by DTRguy; 09-21-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    well, would you believe I am STILL waiting on the correct intake flange spacer!!! But, it has given me time to work on other issues...

I got a proper fan shroud setup sorry no pic... not worth it yet as the engine bay is in disarray due to the waiting on putting the intake down

However, I have needed to install my wideband and Boost gauge... so I made a little column mount and wired everything up and calibrated... It came out exactly as I wanted it!

The field of view is actually better than the pic shows...

with flash...

The center hole was made for the use of a LED Shift light tachometer that I have not decided if I need or not.

And the obligatory shots of son who apparently has a desire to drive even at 18mo's!

As far as everything else... I have crank signal, pumps both operate and I have set the fuel pressure. The engine turns over very well and I have great oil pressure! The turbo oil supply line needed to be remade a little so that oil actually got to the turbo as well. I needed a couple of other items for it be able to be driven once I have it started up... those are now on order and I expect to have them most likely before I get my spacer

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post

Another angle...

Still waiting on stuff for the intake side before I finish it all up and go for startup!

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Can you make another column mount like that, but without the cutout for the e30 column as I have an e36? I can cut that part myself, but it might not be quite as clean as yours lol

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Can you make another column mount like that, but without the cutout for the e30 column as I have an e36? I can cut that part myself, but it might not be quite as clean as yours lol
    I am both cheap... and somewhat poor... but kinda crafty sometimes so I literally hand shaped that and welded on a little plate on the back side to mount directly to the column clam shell. I would suggest the best way to do it is the way I did it but use a machinist to make the final cuts/ welds off of a template model. Or you could make a template model and send it to me... but again, I hand carved it because it was free to me It isn't perfect... the damn hole saw caught and snapped the pilot bit and dug into the aluminum on the very first hole... You can see evidence of that. But it really doesn't bother me because it isn't that noticeable and may not even be seen if I install the shift light. Ya know? The biggest part is getting the heights and alignments such that the gauges sit in the unused portions of the cluster behind it. I can see nearly 100% of the gauges behind when seated. It's pretty cool!

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Humm I think my friends shop has some scrap alu around that size, I'll dig around and I should have a 52mm hole saw too! Wow that made things cheap heh. I want one of the BW pods but between not fitting perfectly and being $125, it's a hard thing to buy when I'm poor and can use the money better elsewhere.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Humm I think my friends shop has some scrap alu around that size, I'll dig around and I should have a 52mm hole saw too! Wow that made things cheap heh. I want one of the BW pods but between not fitting perfectly and being $125, it's a hard thing to buy when I'm poor and can use the money better elsewhere.
    I used 1/4 inch thick aluminum for the main gauge face and 1/8" for the mounting flange surface to the clam shell... Use a slightly smaller hole saw than you think you need... they don't spin straight always and you will have to open it up to exact fit. I like to have my gauges slightly press fit in too... takes a bit more work, but the results are very satisfying!

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post
    I used 1/4 inch thick aluminum for the main gauge face and 1/8" for the mounting flange surface to the clam shell... Use a slightly smaller hole saw than you think you need... they don't spin straight always and you will have to open it up to exact fit. I like to have my gauges slightly press fit in too... takes a bit more work, but the results are very satisfying!
    I'll give it a go, thanks Kevin!

My Cars
    Landcruiser 80. 525it
    Looks great. I cant wait to see it run on video....right just kidding. looking good

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by scrowley111 View Post
    Looks great. I cant wait to see it run on video....right just kidding. looking good

Thanks... You can't wait? man... waiting on a Effing machined flange is trying my patience to the last! And I'll have video you can be sure of that. Anthony (my driver) is all about being here when I first fire it up... and he has posted a billion videos of him racing so he is keen on videoing everything! So... in lieu of big progress there is little progress... All things that need doing mind you but little in the grand scheme of things. I usually save these sorts of items as finishing work ya know? I needed to make an intake pipe...

Made that yesterday as well as mounting the ECU and today I finished up the glovebox and all of the aux wiring that needed doing. Anyone that is familiar with 034 stand alone management systems knows that they utilize a map select wire (they have dual embedded maps). To make it work you just ground the wire... well, I always like to do something a little more unique. I used another defrost switch with a relay to ground. When it is depressed... presto, new map. I use the second map mainly for a higher boost setting. The maps are generally identical except for the boost map. Nothing really to show there, it is just the afformentioned switch in what was a switch blank in my dash. When I mounted the ecu (in the stock ecu location) it was not necessarily hard to do. However, the factory covers would not go back in. Not really a bad thing except that the glove box light is on that cover... So, a little moving was in order. This is what it looks like now:

I plan on keeping my tuning computer hooked up nearly full time and storing it in the glove box. All of the necessary adjustments are set up to be accessible here. Should keep things pretty tidy I'd say.

Also yesterday, I got my driveshaft from Zionsville. It seems that when I bought my ZF M3 trans, I was given the switcheroo... I was supposed to get the driveshaft also. What I apparently got was an Auto shaft. Which was 5" too short. After talking with some people all I needed was the true manual shaft and it would bolt right up! So, got that, and indeed bolted right up! Yay! One less piece of the puzzle in place!

Today, I also got the hood reinforcment fiberglass I had been waiting on. I had my hood custum laid up with only a single layer but with the rear factory catches still intact. However this led to a rather floppy hood! When I get the rear and side sections bonded back to the hood it should have plenty of stiffness so that I can make the rise in the center for clearance of the fuel rail and such. Again, another piece to this huge puzzle!

It seems now I have a deadline as well... Oct 24th, we expect to be track testing the car at Mid Ohio. There will hopefully be some in car video of that as well. I can't say how well the car will perform. But hopefully it does well! All this is also based on whether or not I can get that damn flange already!!!

My Cars
    are slow.
    this is one of the most amazing builds on this board!!!! LOVE the diy setup!!!!

SICKNESS!!!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    So, since I am still waiting to start the engine... I might as well work on getting it road worthy right? So on to the bodywork...

Roughing in the fenders:

This side required me to make a new fuel door attachment for that stock look...

With these fenders being a little more aggressive than the regular M3 there was some extra work needed to be done to widen the sideskirts...

I hope to have the passenger skirt bonded on today maybe. I have quite a bit of sanding/filling etc yet to do on the fenders as well. After I get the main bodywork accomplished, I hope to tackle the bumpers to completion and rework the hood for clearance fitment and reinforcement. Body work is NOT my favorite thing to do, but I don't know too many people that will make it look like I want, and at a price I can swallow.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast