Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: E30 GT35 m52 street/track demo car

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Thanks fellas!

Well in keeping with my bouncing around and doing various things... I have been wanting to do this for some time now. I managed to find a old pair of REALLY light racing seats that I think at one time were FIA approved. Even bear a remarkable resemblance to Recaro Proffi SPG seats? Anyhow... they aren't perfect but I can fix that with a little TLC. And they were cheap. So I had another idea kicking around for some time that I didn't need aftermarket seat bases. Well I was right on the money (and I didn't have to spend any). So here is what I did:

I'll be cleaning/painting/ and re lubing them later... Just wanted to make sure it was all going to work. Drivers side first (please don't mind the mess... the interior is becoming a staging area for various things for the project)

And with both seats in...

And This just in! I got my plenum plate and trim ring so I can build the intake plenum now!

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    I'm getting excited Working on sponsors, too Anyone interested should PM or email me!
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Well I have been super busy the past couple of days... Here is what all the work was about:

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Wowza, Everything looks awesome! I love the spare tire pump system. I have a question though, can that aeromotive out flow the walbro? Aka will the tank stay full if the areomotive moves more fuel than the intank pump? Im like sigma, not questioning if its correct, just learning.

That manifold/plenum looks sweet! I love that its all blended. I also like how you went about the vac manifold, thats a very nice install.

Good work dude, keep it up!
    Last edited by So Live; 08-13-2009 at 04:58 PM.
    -Chris

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by So Live View Post
    Wowza, Everything looks awesome! I love the spare tire pump system. I have a question though, can that aeromotive out flow the walbro? Aka will the tank stay full if the areomotive moves more fuel than the intank pump? Im like sigma, not questioning if its correct, just learning.

That manifold/plenum looks sweet! I love that its all blended. I also like how you went about the vac manifold, thats a very nice install.

Good work dude, keep it up!

Thanks! so happy to have the plenum cover done!

Again, about the fuel thing... the intank will never have a problem keeping up with the big pump... reason being once you relieve it of having to flow a high pressure it flows lots of volume. That is the reason Pumps such as Aeromotives are spec'd with a Natural aspiration HP limit and a Forced induction limit. The spec is based on 3 bar pressure. consider how much volume the stock pump would flow at say 0 psi? Lots.
    Last edited by DTRguy; 08-18-2009 at 08:37 AM.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Today was kinda a relaxing day... Glad to have finished the intake that's for sure. All of the remaining fab I can handle with my eyes closed thankfully (as I kinda feel like that lately with all of the hours I have been putting in to do this car). I was helping out my driver Anthony work on his Spec E30 Race car last night... He got a RD strut tie bar that didn't seem to fit his car so I said cool it can go on my car... well it does fit my car so he reluctantly donated to the cause... Thanks again Anthony .

today I did a couple of small things like some of the engine bay fuel lines and the up charge pipe. For fab all I have is the exhaust, and some maybe small finishing touches on little things and the four point cage. Only the exhaust needs done for it to be tested though thankfully. I hope everyone knows that when I install all of this for the final time it will be MUCH cleaner and detailed. Everything is just in "mock up" phase now.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Looks really nice, but whats up with the intake pipe right before the plenum?

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Looks really nice, but whats up with the intake pipe right before the plenum?
    that is my answer to the air intake for the alternator (since I don't have an E36 I don't have the nifty plastic that goes there. I could maybe go without it... I dunno.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    underside of car and exhaust fab

Not super happy with how wide the tips are... I might change that later... for now it's staying because it is only aesthetic. I still have to get fresh rubber hangers and fab up the hangers on the exhaust. Honestly it was probably one of the EASIEST exhausts I have ever done... I feel bad for the guy that paid 3200 for one... Mine here would of only cost about 900 including materials! But it is somewhat no frills

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Looks good. I would re-do the tips and maybe the angle of the muffler too, but that's just me. $900 is reasonable, IMO, I paid just a hair over that but have a number of vbands (cat drop out etc)

My Cars
    Alpine 97 328is
    This looks fantastic! Great work.
    1997 BMW 328is Alpine White // Dove Grey
    ZF Swapped | 3.23 LSD | FK Coilovers | 17x8.5 Borbet Type C | 75mm Wheel Studs | 12mm Vorshlag Spacers | 5000k HIDs | Euro Taillights | Suede Headliner/Pillars

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    $900 includes the manifold right? Otherwise I do not see how that is cheap

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by mazur View Post
    $900 includes the manifold right? Otherwise I do not see how that is cheap

Ha ha... REALLY???? Wow curious, how much do you make an hour? In the manifold, DP, wastegate integration, and exhaust I have between 75-85 hours! And there is probably 700 in materials or better there. Wow tough crowd.

The muffler was 100ish another 50 for the Vband kit 200 in tubing supplies The rest is labor. Metal is getting really expensive these days too. Sucks for me that way.

One of the reasons I hate to quote because it is rarely greeted with the thought process including the fact that the work is one off custom and not off an assembly line of thousands.

amazing how a full days work and there really isn't much to show... but here it is:

Heat shielding for the pass side (hot side) motor mount and mount reinforcement:

All of the fuel lines are now run all the way to the fuel rail and back including the original lines re routed to surge tank... the black stuff is chaffing guard:

Last edited by DTRguy; 08-17-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Looks awesome dude!!!!!

What is that heat shielding?
    -Chris

My Cars
    e30 M3, 335d
    I saw the RX wheel in the trunk. What are you planning on running for wheels and what tire/size?

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by So Live View Post
    Looks awesome dude!!!!!

What is that heat shielding?
    Thanks a lot

yeah heat shielding... it is stainless plates formed over the mount arm, and attached, with additional heat insulation added to that. The mount has a piece of stainless tubing, capped on top, cut on one side to allow air from front to enter and escape from rear and again wrapped with the same insulation. I certainly don't want my main mount disintegrating due to intense heat and stress from the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
    I saw the RX wheel in the trunk. What are you planning on running for wheels and what tire/size?
    The RX is my 17" spare tire... I have 18 X 8.5 and 18 X 9.5 Forgelines 245 front, 265 rear rubber. The current rubber is just for rolling and some testing purposes. Going to be using Dunlop Direzza D star spec.

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post
    Ha ha... REALLY???? Wow curious, how much do you make an hour? In the manifold, DP, wastegate integration, and exhaust I have between 75-85 hours! And there is probably 700 in materials or better there. Wow tough crowd.
    $10/hour , but pay no taxes, so yah, I'm a cheap ass.

But I am guessing you are including the manifold and all? In that case, that is pretty cheap.

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    Polaki...

Lol, there is no way he is including everything for $900. I'm thinking from the down pipe back. And that does seem like a fair price to me.
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by M3_MadBimmer View Post
    Polaki...
    lol.

I spent less than $900 on my exhaust from head to tailpipes. My turbo-back is not stainless, so maybe that's the difference...and also no 4'' piping

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    lol.

I spent less than $900 on my exhaust from head to tailpipes. My turbo-back is not stainless, so maybe that's the difference...and also no 4'' piping

so you are talking about parts/labor for a turbo manifold, wastegate piping, and turbo back exhaust? I have just around $900 in parts alone
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    93 325iS
    I'd say $900 for an exhaust, including parts, is a pretty good deal. You do realize he has to pay for this thing called "overhead" right?? How much does a pro-done manifold run? $1400-1900. Downpipe? More. Exhaust? More.

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by M3_MadBimmer View Post
    so you are talking about parts/labor for a turbo manifold, wastegate piping, and turbo back exhaust? I have just around $900 in parts alone
    My labor doesn't cost me anything, so I don't count it?

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    I'd say $900 for an exhaust, including parts, is a pretty good deal. You do realize he has to pay for this thing called "overhead" right?? How much does a pro-done manifold run? $1400-1900. Downpipe? More. Exhaust? More.

Thank you... so glad there is understanding of how things cost for the small business craftsman including parts and labor.
    My labor doesn't cost me anything, so I don't count it?
    I understand it can be done cheaper (for some of it) sure, You used steel for your whole exhaust (I can do that, but didn't want that on my flagship project of course). You also as I recall did a straight wastegate dump no integration. It takes a lot of pre planning and even more fab to integrate smoothly. And yeah, 4" was expensive too. But even more to the point, I didn't make the head flange, or the T4 flange so those cost a small fortune together. I also noticed that the price of weld els has nearly tripled since the last time I got them. I used to be able to purchase all of the fittings I needed for about $20. It was almost $60 for this one! Hurts the pocketbook when I am trying to budget for the total costs of finishing this car. I don't pay for my labor directly either. But it costs me if I am not working on paying client cars so it's a juggle as to how I manage the shop. But as your car is a running, and completed project that seems to work VERY well, you have done VERY well for yourself and should be commended. I do this for a living (have for some time now) so there is a lot more expected of me from the community I would suspect.

On another note... I should be able to get some things done on the beast today as it seems I have some free time (meaning no paying work)

My Cars
    Landcruiser 80. 525it
    wish i could hand out for a build like this to learn some more tricks. I learn quick but being a contractor doesnt help my fab skills. GREAT JOB!

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by scrowley111 View Post
    wish i could hand out for a build like this to learn some more tricks. I learn quick but being a contractor doesnt help my fab skills. GREAT JOB!
    I bet it does, actually. You just need a lift and some fab tools, you'll pick it up quick.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast