Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: E30 GT35 m52 street/track demo car

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Hey folks. I'm the nut that will eventually be tightened in behind the wheel. This car is going to be perfectly suited for running the Cannonball One Lap of America in 2010. Keep your eye on this thread and watch for us in the One Lap next year!
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post
    Great questions!

The rears were cut and carefully massaged WAY up. I'll have to get a shot of it later when I remove the outers again. Honestly I don't know the offset of the wheels. I can tell you that they are 5.5" backspacing (IIRC) it was based on stock offsets. They are supposed to be 9.5" in the back... but I think they are more like 10 or 10.5 I need to measure because my 265's are stretched! Forgeline custom made the wheels for me but it was also through a client of mine who got me the help on pricing and bartered the deal... so something may have gotten lost in translation. I originally didn't want to do ANY bodywork. But when I got the wheels, well it was obvious I was going to have to.

The manifold is designed to give full spectrum power. But it is also a design prototype that I will use on later builds to see how well I have done. I should be able to compare dyno's to various other styles of headers with similar turbos to get a feel for whether I accomplished my goals or not. I do my best to take everything into account, space, flow, wastegate operation, strength, scavenge effect, etc. Should work well I feel.
    Yea, Looking at the manifold it seems it would be good for a nice broad power band but seing the intake and exhaust system as a whole it seems it would make some good peak numbers also.
    Last edited by lughed; 07-23-2009 at 10:17 PM.

My Cars
    e30 m3's - e34 iT Turbo
    very nice subscribed
    who makes the body kit?

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by GKE30M3 View Post
    very nice subscribed
    who makes the body kit?

Thanks! DTMfiberwerks makes it. I found it originally on Ebay. Be prepared, as in the case with ANY body kit, it takes professional installation. When done it will look pretty good. Maybe not as perfect as a real M3, but I feel it will look sufficiently attractive for my purposes. It beats the crap out of me spending a couple of months fabricating steel fender flares as I have done in the past.

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Did a little work making the 4" DP yesterday. Still in mock up and yet to install my heat shielding FWIW.

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    downpipe almost done!

as it sat prior to v band flange and reducer

and all complete this far.

My Cars
    e30 m3's - e34 iT Turbo
    keep us posted great work man love your project

My Cars
    325i, 3/4ton Truck
    why are you reducing it again?

why not 4" turbo back?
    Becoming a Professional OT Troll . CAN Bus Project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuRBQzGs-c VGT/VNT +LDA controller: http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/

Quote Originally Posted by [B]SilverBeam[/B]
    Dude you're the biggest asshole ever. I will never reply to your texts or call you back EVER!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser
    I'm Stupid
    Diesel > gas

My Cars
    86 eta
    Kevins work is top notch!

This man knows his stuff when it comes to air flow, and welding!

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by Keaton View Post
    why are you reducing it again?

why not 4" turbo back?
    Mostly because it doesn't need it at the power levels that I want to achieve. This will however reduce spool time immensely. Other reasons are cost, available material in the shop, ground clearance issues etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Killinit937 View Post
    Kevins work is top notch!

This man knows his stuff when it comes to air flow, and welding!
    Thanks man

My Cars
    86 eta
    No prob!.

Hows that turbo e car coming along down there?

We should stop down some coming up weekend if I can get Big Keith off his bum and get this Cabriolet Quattro done.
    We got everything for the rear suspension welded up and fuel cell in. Were just waiting on the fuel line fittings.

Did Todd ever sell jetta?

MOAR UPDATES MAN.

I'm digging the downpipe.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by Killinit937 View Post
    No prob!.

Hows that turbo e car coming along down there?

We should stop down some coming up weekend if I can get Big Keith off his bum and get this Cabriolet Quattro done.
    We got everything for the rear suspension welded up and fuel cell in. Were just waiting on the fuel line fittings.

Did Todd ever sell jetta?

MOAR UPDATES MAN.

I'm digging the downpipe.

The E car is down right now... Don't know what he is doing about it at the moment.

Todd has not sold the Jetta yet.

Here is the wastegate integration. Not the best looking Welds but I can assure you the inside is where the prettiness is. I had to weld small welds so it would not shrink too much and end up not fitting.

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Looks awesome dude! Keep it up!

I wish i could weld like that

Oh where are you scoring those nice pipe transitions?
    -Chris

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, 04 325xi
    Very nice welding and fab work on that down-pipe!

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    I like that transition into the downpipe.

I'm guessing you don't like the sound of an open dump?

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by So Live View Post
    Looks awesome dude! Keep it up!

I wish i could weld like that

Oh where are you scoring those nice pipe transitions?
    Thanks!
    The transitions I am making myself

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_george View Post
    Very nice welding and fab work on that down-pipe!
    Thanks! Again... might not be my best looking welds in some areas. But I have my reasons for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mazur View Post
    I like that transition into the downpipe.

I'm guessing you don't like the sound of an open dump?
    I appreciate it! I like smooth integrations and I can't really stand the sound of open wastegates. The only thing it really serves is to tell you audibly when you have hit your boost set point. I just hate the fact that it tells everyone around that you are trying to go as fast as possible (including the Police). Around here "Quiet is the new loud" (kind of an inside joke)

Fitting in car for another mock up inspection of clearances etc

Looking down the downpipe at frame clearance (its actually more clearance than it looks in pic

another angle with flash

There will be some additional work with clearancing... nothing worse than engine parts/exhaust hitting body sheetmetal. Also a good way to break something on turbo system.

From here I can also start on the exhuast... once my materials arrive!

I did get my fuel rail back from Machine shop so I tore into that and installed my 75lb/hr injectors. I am still working on mocking that up as well. I am waiting for my plenum plate stuff to come from machine shop to build the plenum. The ITB's are from Extrudabody... 50mm taper bore to 45mm. Should flow fairly well

The other side... you can see how I am starting my breather out of the valve cover. More on that as time comes.

Hope everyone approves thusfar
    Last edited by DTRguy; 08-07-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    I absolutely love it!

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    I am really looking forward to seeing how the extrudabody ITB's do in this setup. Very cool stuff.

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Looks awesome!

I guess i meant reducers, not transitions haha.
    -Chris

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Breather catch tank made and temporarily mounted... which means half of the breather system is done... the other portion will be on the exhaust which has yet to be made.

From the other side:

Well today was a busy day... since I am awaiting materials for other things... I thought I might tackle the fuel system (or at least get a good start on it). I've had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while so I decided to start on making it up.

I won't bore with details... I'll let the pics describe what I am doing here:

Because you never know when you need a spare tire and can't get any other

Obviously I am not at all done... More to follow
    Last edited by DTRguy; 08-08-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    86 eta
    As always your train of though is astonishing kevin
    Last edited by Killinit937; 08-09-2009 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Kevin, I am loving the build! So are you going to run a fuel cell, or a stock tank with something like a Walbro to feed your surge tank? Very nice work sir, very nice indeed.

What catch can is that, and is it baffled? I'm not questioning your component choice, but rather hoping for a suggestion for myself

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Kevin, I am loving the build! So are you going to run a fuel cell, or a stock tank with something like a Walbro to feed your surge tank? Very nice work sir, very nice indeed.

What catch can is that, and is it baffled? I'm not questioning your component choice, but rather hoping for a suggestion for myself
    Thank you sir

Not running fuel cell... Race cars have fuel cells. I am building a street car (albeit very racy one ) So, what you see in past pics... and in the pic below (better pic of fuel pump system) is a culmination of everything that I have done on previous builds. Basically, if you have a one or two pump system on a factory car you just add in a surge tank and a bigger pump. Usually there is plenty of room under a car to do this... Not really so on this car. So, this is why I did this. All of the fuel from the original pump gets redirected to the surge tank. This relieves that pump from having to produce pressure which in turn allows it to pump mass volume. The engine return comes there as well. Once the tank is 100% full (and it basically stays this way) the overflow returns to main tank. I can assure you that I never have had an issue with this system in other cars (about 15 I have done it to). Aeromotive once told me that I shouldn't return the fuel from the rail back to the surge. So I did that once and the surge tank ran low in corners under power. So I do it this way always. VW did something basically exactly like this on the MK2 chassis. Works gloriously.

The catch can is of my own design and build. Yes it has a baffle plate in it. It is also strategically placed near a heat source and is made of aluminum (to pick up the heat). This way combustion water vapors are constantly being boiled away and the tank basically stays dry (oil vapors will coagulate eventually and I'll have to rinse it out maybe every 3 years or more). Again, I have been doing that sort of thing on every turbo build I do.

Today I finished up the topside of what I fabbed up yesterday... Man I gotta say it is Effing boiling outside!

Understand that this is really mounted upside down from what you see here. I'll take pics of it mounted when I get to that point.

Looks kinda like an upside down cake pan huh?! Here it is, all welded up, seam sealed, painted and undercoated. If you look at about 1 o'clock you can see where the fuel lines will be ran into the cavity.

Fitment complete with 17" BBS... I might even be able to fit my 18's... not sure yet. It seems that there is room around the outside for an even bigger tire than a 215 40 17 that is pictured. This is on a 7.5" rim. The whole thing stands up about an inch or so above the floor. I will be putting down carpet foam padding for sound deadening and to raise up the original floor surface before the stock carpet is installed for a clean stock looking appearance.

Thanks for all of the positive responses!!!

My Cars
    86 328iS
    inspiring for sure.
    beer rules

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    you're awesome, very talented.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast