Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: E30 GT35 m52 street/track demo car

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by 3literheater View Post
    For some reason the car looks really high off of the ground?

Well when you take a car that started life with 14" wheels and stuff some of the largest commercially available tires underneath it... it has that affect. Now, if I lower it... first of all suspension geometry goes all wacky and second I run out of tire clearance against the body (bottoming out the suspension). If I ran really high spring rates, I could lower it more... but I would need to run stickier tires to make that suspension work. Its all a balancing act which is function over form. It may look better lowered more... but it does what it is supposed to at this height. Front springs are 440lb/in rears 600lb/in with Ireland Engineering sways front and rear. Keep in mind... STREET car that is track prepped. Not Race car paraded on street. We have many miles to cover and we would like to have some level of comfort It actually rides quite nicely

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Thats awesome guys, great work!!! The car looks awesome!

I agree with the front bumper but besides that, its beautiful!
    -Chris

My Cars
    many
    Great job.The 18's always look too big on the e30(i won't run anything bigger then 17).The bumper needs help.everything else is MONEY!
    B.
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    First 8 second full body BMW with BMW independent rear suspension in the USA
    8.69 @160mph in a 1/4mile on slicks.
    drag radial tires record holder9.53@148. Also a world record holder for bmw overall 60-130mph 4.2 seconds.
    Bistein sport susp,turner sway bars,3:25lsd,m52 AEM INFINITY stand alone. MORAN 2500cc injectors E85 ,front mount 33x12x4 intercooler, 5lug conversion M3 front,Mcoupe rear Dss axles/driveshaft ATI Proglide.
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3
    1986 Mercedes Cosworth 190e 2.3 16v 5speed (sold)

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by djborya View Post
    Great job.The 18's always look too big on the e30(i won't run anything bigger then 17).The bumper needs help.everything else is MONEY!
    B.
    18" is the only size that has the tire choices I needed overall... 315's in the back... can't get the wheels I needed made in 17". And yeah... working on a solution for the bumper. It will at the very least not be a hindrance as far as aero... might look weird, might not, but its function over form. At this point redoing the paint for a bumper isn't worth it nor do I have the time. It isn't a show car so to speak. Thanks everyone though
    Last edited by DTRguy; 03-23-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    '87 325E '88 scirocco 32
    Car looks mean as hell, can't wait to go for a ride.

I'll donate an e36 m3 front splitter if you'd like to graft that on to your existing bumper. I actually have the complete damaged bumper if the extra material would help.

My Cars
    jetta
    Not sure if it's been mentioned or if it's classified, but what kind of power are you making? One of my good friends has been swearing up and down to me that a boosted non-vanos m52 with good cams would make more power than almost anything else. Kinda like the big cam non-vtec hondas (sorry to bring it up, it's just the popular scene around here)

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonivan View Post
    Car looks mean as hell, can't wait to go for a ride.

I'll donate an e36 m3 front splitter if you'd like to graft that on to your existing bumper. I actually have the complete damaged bumper if the extra material would help.

Thanks a bunch for the offer Anson! I have to either use fiberglass, or fab out of aluminum the extension. I am leaning towards a little lip made out of aluminum. It will only really used to split the air and correct for the angle issue. But thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by nyskiffie View Post
    Not sure if it's been mentioned or if it's classified, but what kind of power are you making? One of my good friends has been swearing up and down to me that a boosted non-vanos m52 with good cams would make more power than almost anything else. Kinda like the big cam non-vtec hondas (sorry to bring it up, it's just the popular scene around here)
    ha ha... it's not classified ... I honestly don't know actual numbers. Even those are variable based on equipment and conditions etc. So I focus on real world capability as my benchmark. For instance, before base boost of 9-10psi was pretty fast before... now, I can flat run away from Anthony in his 3.0 z4. It even has some traction issues in second gear even with my new 315 rubber at that boost level. So, a round guess of around 300whp at base boost is my guess. Could be a little less... but really is hard to tell because of how fast it really is at such low boost. Before I ran 15psi to get 60-130 time of 8.17 sec. which I will guestimate at 450-475hp. We are hoping the low boost feel translates upwards to a similar gain. I'd like to have a reliable 500 on tap. But if it runs the way it did last fall... that would be PLENTY. Hell, base boost is nearly plenty really. But this is me saying this while driving on the street. On track it might feel anemic.
    Last edited by DTRguy; 03-24-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    jetta
    What are you revving to? And what cams do you have in it? I bet it spools pretty well...

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by nyskiffie View Post
    What are you revving to? And what cams do you have in it? I bet it spools pretty well...
    Rev limited to 7k stock M50NV cams believe it or not... and I can hit full boost I believe before 3500rpm... but it is making boost if I am so inclined practically right off idle. Boost curve is VERY smooth and progressive.

My Cars
    jetta
    I don't doubt it for a second. We figured that would be the advantage of the non vanos block. Congrats on the build and thanks for confirming our suspicions! We'll see what the future holds for my car..

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    first video from the track testing at Mid O this weekend... I am sure there will be many more to come! Anthony has some great incar footage and Nate got some great out of car that I can't wait to see!

[ame]http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd315/DTRGuy/?action=view&current=MVI_1913.flv[/ame]

The only thing that was bad was apparently our brake pad choice... The car ran basically flawlessly. We are still sorting out handling with the tire stagger... but we fixed the power on traction issues! So, we have a plan at least!
    Last edited by DTRguy; 04-04-2010 at 06:00 PM.

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Nice to see the car running! Good work!
    e30 84 340i m6x powered.
    e34 89 535i 5speed - current DD
    e24 89 635csi - maybe a DD?

e34 93 525i (m50tu) - gone
    e39 540i 6spd m-sport - gone
    e53 x5 4.4l - gone
    e30 89 325i (m20) - gone

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Let's get that in-car footage please

Always cool to see turbo track cars..

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by 84318i View Post
    Nice to see the car running! Good work!
    Thanks! It wasn't easy! The work paid off though because basically besides the brakes, all I did all weekend was work on various suspension settings. I did make a couple of small tuning changes that seemed to really help. But it was completely reliable! I even drove it back to Florence KY from the track One of our friends blew up his M3 so it went on the trailer and I drove.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    Let's get that in-car footage please

Always cool to see turbo track cars..

Mike
    I have to wait on Anthony to get that put together and added to his Vimeo account. That might take a day or so. Some pretty awesome footage though. Saw it today!

Another quick video:
    [ame]http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd315/DTRGuy/?action=view&current=MVI_1906.flv[/ame]

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    What height did you end up setting your wing? I just finished fabing my mounts and set it at 3.5 inches

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Here's some in-car video from the DTR / Street Survival One Lap of America car during some of the practice starts!
    [ame]http://www.vimeo.com/10690965[/ame]

Here's the in-car video from the DTR / Street Survival One Lap of America E30 during the "Simulated Race Exercise". From near the back to first in just over 1 lap. These guys need more powaaaaaaa
    We had to drop out, though, because an ABS Sensor wire lost it's heat-reflective insulation and got fried by the glowing red turbo sitting 2" away... Braking was scary after that happened. You'll see me almost thrown into the concrete wall before Turn 1 on my last lap... Fun times, though. The students did GREAT!

[ame]http://www.vimeo.com/10691942[/ame]
    Last edited by Z3SpdDmn; 04-05-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Where is this track in Ky? Any info on how to become a student? costs? Im from BG ky and I think my friends and I from there may enjoy this.
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by lughed View Post
    What height did you end up setting your wing? I just finished fabing my mounts and set it at 3.5 inches
    It is set by the APR mounts... It is a GTC-200 wing with factory mount and the 2.5" risers. It is about 12 or so inches off the decklid hanging off the back a bit.

I only have it set just a fraction from 0 AOA. It is just there to cancel any natural lift that occurs. Not to necessarily add additional downforce. If we need more It is there though.

Quote Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post
    Where is this track in Ky? Any info on how to become a student? costs? Im from BG ky and I think my friends and I from there may enjoy this.
    This isn't in KY... it is in OH at the Mid Ohio motorsports park. It is the race training school for the BMWCCA.

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Quote Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post
    Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, OH (about 40 min north of Columbus). Putnam Park might be closer to you (Greencastle, IN), or even Barber Motorsports Park, outside of Birmingham, AL. That is, until (if) Bluegrass Motorsports Park ever opens in Nothern KY (near Sparta).

Visit www.bmwcca.org for information on their driving schools, or use www.MyTrackSchedule.com to look for local events. Try to find a local autocross to get your feet wet.

Oh, I forgot to mention the quote of the weekend, from a fellow race instructor...
    "Hey Anthony, that car is just silly. When you flew by me [in my I-Prepared E36 M3], it sounded incredible! And then there were the flames popping out the exhaust... It's really uncomfortable to get an erection while wearing a 5-point harness."
    :
    Last edited by Z3SpdDmn; 04-05-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Anthony Magagnoli

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    Video 1 - 13:50 Anthony - "Any scratches?" I lost it, Hilarious.

First off, I consider myself a fairly unbiased opinion, I don't have any affiliation to DTR what so ever. In fact, I have always been the BIGGEST naysayer to Turbo Track cars, and I must admit that this weekend definitely changed my opinion.

I was there for every minute at Mid Ohio, and there was really NO major issues. This car ran flawlessly, not only that, it was insanely quick!! This was a brand new car that was taken directly to the track and put through the paces, not just "hard parking" but flat out racing, for hours! All we had to do is keep feeding it pump gas.

This car speaks VOLUMES for Kevin's ability to build solid, fast cars. Keep up the great work Kevin! DTR For the Win.
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEAN View Post
    Video 1 - 13:50 Anthony - "Any scratches?" I lost it, Hilarious.

First off, I consider myself a fairly unbiased opinion, I don't have any affiliation to DTR what so ever. In fact, I have always been the BIGGEST naysayer to Turbo Track cars, and I must admit that this weekend definitely changed my opinion.

I was there for every minute at Mid Ohio, and there was really NO major issues. This car ran flawlessly, not only that, it was insanely quick!! This was a brand new car that was taken directly to the track and put through the paces, not just "hard parking" but flat out racing, for hours! All we had to do is keep feeding it pump gas.

This car speaks VOLUMES for Kevin's ability to build solid, fast cars. Keep up the great work Kevin! DTR For the Win.
    Nate....Dude... Thanks man! One of the nicest things anyone has every said about anything I have ever built! I am just glad everything went well. I didn't have any opportunity to test the tune out on the new engine since it's break in period. In fact, Anthony tested the original high boost race map on the track! At first it was rich in boost on the street tune... I tweaked it a little and fixed that... did a few more tweaks and just waited to see how they worked out for Anthony. Everytime he came back in he would give me the thumbs up and tell me it was a rocketship! Makes me very happy that all of the work paid off for the weekend. Anthony surely put it through its' paces! My thanks to Denny and Nate for their thankless help with the car! And hats off to Anthony for bringing it back with not a scratch (save for the brakes and tires )

Oh Nate... When do you think you'll have your footage edited and posted? Waiting with baited breath! You know what clip I wanna see most
    Last edited by DTRguy; 04-05-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    Oh, I know exactly what clip you want... I just came from DTR, I met up with Anthony, I gave him that clip and about twenty others, I figured it would best for him to edit.

BTW: the reason the front spacer worked was because it increased the scrub radius which amplifies the jacking affect of the caster. You were right, we would have had to go a bit further to make the front "flat". I spoke with Anthony about springs too, I think he is working on it.

Again, excellent car, scary fast, I would not hesitate to recommend Kevin to anyone.

Regards, Nate.
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post
    Nate....Dude... Thanks man! One of the nicest things anyone has every said about anything I have ever built! I am just glad everything went well. I didn't have any opportunity to test the tune out on the new engine since it's break in period. In fact, Anthony tested the original high boost race map on the track! At first it was rich in boost on the street tune... I tweaked it a little and fixed that... did a few more tweaks and just waited to see how they worked out for Anthony. Everytime he came back in he would give me the thumbs up and tell me it was a rocketship! Makes me very happy that all of the work paid off for the weekend. Anthony surely put it through its' paces! My thanks to Denny and Nate for their thankless help with the car! And hats off to Anthony for bringing it back with not a scratch (save for the brakes and tires )

Oh Nate... When do you think you'll have your footage edited and posted? Waiting with baited breath! You know what clip I wanna see most
    I have no doubts that this opinion is right on! I have seen and can attest to what these types of turbo cars are capable 0f! I have watched the pics from this bulild from the beginning. It has gone WELL beyond what most have gone to achieve greatness. I am PLEASED to see it running like it is. You have spent the time, money and energy for this to happen. I dont believe in "happenings." I think all is eventually well earned. Great job!!!
    Last edited by rt turbo; 04-06-2010 at 01:45 AM.
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    I believe this is what Kevin is waiting for
    [ame]http://www.vimeo.com/10721014[/ame]
    -Anthony Magagnoli

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe|12 X5D|11 335D
    That's awesome, pretty much had the track to yourself after a start like that!!!!

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast