Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: E30 GT35 m52 street/track demo car

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by mazur View Post
    How high are you going to mount the wing? I know for a fact that the wing on that car you posted the vid of has it too low.

I'm interested if you have figured out the proper placement since I have one of those wings too.

Well, I'd like to go about 13" off of the decklid. The standard height is 10" for those uprights the upgrade GTC300 ones are 13". Want to start there. I don't want to go too high. I think there will be enough airflow on the wing @ 13" but I could be wrong. I'd actually like to find a wing such as the Bimmerworld wing, but not 66" wide! 63" is as wide as I would like to be.

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post
    Well, I'd like to go about 13" off of the decklid. The standard height is 10" for those uprights the upgrade GTC300 ones are 13". Want to start there. I don't want to go too high. I think there will be enough airflow on the wing @ 13" but I could be wrong.
    Most of those standard upright heights are designed for cars much more low profile than ours.

I was thinking of doing a rough modeling of an E30 in CAD and get a approximation of how well the air stays attached after clearing the roof using CFD. But, I'm not using my wing anytime soon, so I'm not in a hurry to find out

But as guesstimate, I would bet around 6 inches under roof line would be pretty good.

I'd actually like to find a wing such as the Bimmerworld wing, but not 66" wide! 63" is as wide as I would like to be.
    Your avatar says you're a fabricator...so fabricate one
    Last edited by mazur; 10-15-2009 at 06:19 PM.

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Mazur, we know your bored at school so just come up with the cad...

Not that i have a use for it but i think itd be very interesting
    -Chris

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by So Live View Post
    Mazur, we know your bored at school so just come up with the cad...

Not that i have a use for it but i think itd be very interesting

I have plenty of things going on to keep me un-bored. Actually, so many, I'm booked for a year

My list:

-FSAE
    -custom BBK
    -new job (leaves me 1 "off" day per week)
    -school work
    -uprights for wing
    -CNC stuff for friend
    -keep friends happy by hanging out

It's tough man. Hopefully I can keep up

My Cars
    E30, E82, F30
    You're such a bitch.
    Turbo E30s. The New Supercars.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazur
    Sriracha is too hot for me.

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Quote Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
    You're such a bitch.
    Even though were not friends, i agree...

Im in the same boat bra. ME school blows...
    -Chris

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Mazur... Although yes I am a fabricator... I have limited resources as far as what I have available right now in the shop. I need a vertical mill. If I had that I'd make my own custom uprights (without a CAD drawing). Fabricating a wing out of really any material requires some fairly specialized equipment. I'd rather not waste my time and buy one if you know what I mean.

Update: My body guy nearly has the back end of the car ready for primer. I have the bumper ready for him to take over and make it better (if it needs to be).
    Also, I pulled off the intake to verify my throttle plates and get things all realigned and tightened for the last time (they like to be broken in some before they operate smoothly). So now that I did that... I retuned the idle. 14.7-15.3 700 RPM. Throttle action is good no sticking points and buttery smooth. The throttle response on the engine is now better and doesn't come down and die with my upgraded fueling and tweaks in timing. Next week I'll be doing some highway pulls with Anthony to dial in the WOT tuning a little better and be looking for a tad more boost. Maybe we will be able to get someone to video a couple of pulls... Can't promise anything though. So far so good for the next weekends trip to the racetrack for testing!

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    This car is really making me excited about getting another e30 to tinker with.
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by M3_MadBimmer View Post
    This car is really making me excited about getting another e30 to tinker with.

That's I find that very cool because just recently I was told something to the effect that I was building the wrong chassis because people wouldn't want to spend any money on an e30! I mean, I get it. E30's are fairly cheap and there are a lot of people that have E30's that don't have any money to spend blah blah blah... but then again, they are awesome cars to upgrade and some will buy one specifically to do this! (I did). I just like the way they look over some of the newer designs. It doesn't hurt that my initial investment in the project vehicle was only 3500 too. Something else to consider though; the engine being a 24v is the same (obviously) to later designs. So the only thing that is really E30 is the chassis! Just trying to show that I can at least build the system and have it work right?

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    Booyaaaa! Go get'em!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raeyaeq52qI&feature=related[/ame]

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    damn thats cool shit bro!

And i agree, e30's are sweet cars. Theres nothing like driving a e30 with good suspension and a aftermarket steering wheel. You really feel connected. Even driving an e36 m3 for a few weeks daily, i enjoy driving my e30 quite a bit more...
    -Chris

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Based on the above video I'd say just about any height above say 6" would be in the airstream. Still I am looking for 10-13" above to be sure. Awesome link!

This week is going to be busy for the car and I have other commitments as well. I need to put in the four point roll cage, finish the major work on the body, get it primed and work on boost and WOT tuning all before going to the track!

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by lughed View Post
    Sweet find! Thanks for posting that up.

Quote Originally Posted by So Live View Post

And i agree, e30's are sweet cars. Theres nothing like driving a e30 with good suspension and a aftermarket steering wheel.
    Don't forget tires as well. I had to cheap out this time and get some stock-like tires for my stock wheels and it has never felt so disconnected from the road.
    Last edited by mazur; 10-19-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by mazur View Post
    Sweet find! Thanks for posting that up.

Don't forget tires as well. I had to cheap out this time and get some stock-like tires for my stock wheels and it has never felt so disconnected from the road.

Agreed... I have kinda cheapy tires as of now... they'll do the trick until we get the Dunlops though in the winter.

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    Agreed... I have kinda cheapy tires as of now... they'll do the trick until we get the Dunlops though in the winter.
    At least your aspect ratio is small.

My tires deflect so much that if you try to do any slalom-type maneuvers, my chassis lags to move to the new location of my tires, lol.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Update:
    Built my four point roll cage yesterday... still have a couple of welds to finish (ran out of purge gas for tig). So I'll be finishing that up today. Now I have a place to hang the harness' that are on their way thanks to Anthony and Bimmertools.com! Also now I know I'll have sanitary in car video! I have a nice roll cage camera mount that I got with my other race car I also padded the trunk up so I could re install the trunk floor mat over my spare tire setup. Should also provide for some sound deadening for those long stints between race venues on the One Lap. I still have quite a bit of trimming to do on the interior but that is just details. The bodywork is coming along nicely! It should be no problem to have the car in primer sealer by the weekend (that will be nice for sure!)

Today Anthony and I will be doing some WOT tuning this evening. That should be interesting! Then more body work UGH!!!

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Yes, Bimmertools.com has come through with a set of harnesses! Who knows... That may save our lives this weekend! lol
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn View Post
    Yes, Bimmertools.com has come through with a set of harnesses! Who knows... That may save our lives this weekend! lol
    EASY!!!! Keep it in one piece! That and I am hearing that it is supposed to rain part or all of the weekend! UGH!!!! hard to test in that I'd say!

My Cars
    96 Oil Gobbler
    Just spent the last hour or so reading through the thread. Im kinda sad I didnt pick it up from the beginning!

Great work man! I am happy its running well for you.

I think you may need some most bewsts!

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    EASY!!!! Keep it in one piece! That and I am hearing that it is supposed to rain part or all of the weekend! UGH!!!! hard to test in that I'd say!
    haha. yeah, might be a little damp on saturday morning. not looking bad, though, aside from being damn cold. If you could figure out a way to turn the boost OFF during that time, that would be great!
    -Anthony Magagnoli

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Sorry no videos for tonight! Heard a funny noise coming from below... turned out to be a guibo bolt... The bolts I had for the three shorter ones of the six that are needed were a hair too short and didn't get on to the locking part of the nut. So even though they were tight, one loosened up and left the building. Making for a shaky ride back. I got some new bolt and locktightened them. What we did get accomplished is some solid 4th gear pulls showing that my fueling is indeed in the right ranges! So I was starting to get the boost solenoid numbers so that my boost will come up a bit... Didn't get enough pulls to safely find that point though. It MIGHT be running a pound more now. Feels strong nonetheless.

Update... Anthony just dropped by once again and took his GF for a little ride...SO... got a flyby video with his phone... He should get it up tonight sometime hopefully. Man it sounds mean!
    Last edited by DTRguy; 10-20-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhieZpstvQo[/ame]

Sorry I blew off the guibo bolt I didn't think that "ping" sounded too good! lol Thats what shake-downs are for!
    -Anthony Magagnoli

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhieZpstvQo

Sorry I blew off the guibo bolt I didn't think that "ping" sounded too good! lol Thats what shake-downs are for!
    SICK!!!

You have one of the best sounding cars I've ever heard!!!

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    i blew my load
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    E30, E82, F30
    Wow that sounded very good for shitty quality.
    Would love to see that in a better video!
    Turbo E30s. The New Supercars.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazur
    Sriracha is too hot for me.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast