Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: E30 GT35 m52 street/track demo car

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v

DTR Performance E30 GT35 m52/50nv One Lap of America car

EDIT to ADD PROPS to my helpful sponsors! THANKS EVERYONE!

Extrudabody
    Bimmertools.com
    034 Motorsport
    Clutchmasters
    Ireland Engineering
    Forgeline wheels
    DTM fiberwerkz/Eurostopusa.com
    MyTrackSchedule.com

Without their help none of this would have been possible!

Well, I have finally gotten to the point where maybe a thread is warranted. I have been planning and accruing parts for about three years. The idea is to take my shop into BMW land. Having built quite a few VW's of note I have yet to do a BMW. I decided on a 90 325is as the car. The project goals are to have a fast streetable, but track capable car to demonstrate capability. I have started with a low mileage M52 engine and have quite a few goodies piled up for everything. In the end, I hope to be running the car in the One Lap of America 2010(I have a driver who is way better than me!) I don't have a lot of time now so I'll just put up some recent pics.

Please remember, a lot of this is in the first stages of mock up. So keep that in mind. For a more complete set of pictures of what has taken place (because a lot more has) go here: http://dtrperformance.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=686&g2_page=1

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by DTRguy; 11-11-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    NICE! more pics of you intake manifold setup. is that ITBs?
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post
    NICE! more pics of you intake manifold setup. is that ITBs?
    Yeah... forgot to mention Custom Extrudabody ITB setup... Still in the works for that.

It's missing some key pieces as of now... so not much to show really. There are pics of the only other BMW with the ITB's mounted. I should direct Kevin from Extrudabody to this thread. Right now I am working on the turbo side. Soon I'll be hot on the cold side

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    95 M3
    Nice, what are you doing for tuning?

Austin
    Active Autowerke C38 stage 2 on 95 dakar yellow M3, 30k miles
    .080 mls headgasket, ARP headstuds and obd2 valve retainers; Stewart water pump; Dunlop Z1's on staggered CSL's.

387whp, 296wtrq --- girls dig dakar

My Cars
    E28 Turbo; E34 DD
    Your plate should read "M3Wannabe" lol j/k

Love the build! Are those the IE rear camber/toe kit?

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
    Nice, what are you doing for tuning?

Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by BadM535i View Post
    Your plate should read "M3Wannabe" lol j/k

Love the build! Are those the IE rear camber/toe kit?
    034 Stg 2c stand alone management...

fueling is 75lb/hr injectors, Aeromotive A1000 pump and FPR, 1/2" and AN8 Feed.

Actually I was thinking something more along the lines of DTRM3etr (eater)

Honestly, yeah... I like the shape of an M3... but originally I didn't want to do any sort of major bodywork (I have done two full steel widebody cars and I didn't wanna spend the time). BUT the tires and wheels forced the issue. So this is what I decided to do to save major time and effort. Although the car should look good, it is NOT a show car.

And yeah they are IE camber toe kit.
    Last edited by DTRguy; 07-11-2009 at 01:15 PM.

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Non Vanos m52? I like your style.

Looks great though dude, keep it up!
    -Chris

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by So Live View Post
    Non Vanos m52? I like your style.

Looks great though dude, keep it up!

Thanks! yeah it's kinda a hybrid... M52 2.8 M50 head (non vanos).

I am kinda doin this first part on the cheap... to test out various aspects of design and implementation. Once it is all together and run tested, if there is anything that doesn't meet my design specs I'll change it as I can afford it. The eventual goal is a fully built m52/50 and as much power as I can stuff through it. I already have an fx600/700 clutch and enough fuel system (minus injector sizing). First power goals are to match what has already been done on an M52 stock bottom end (630whp @24psi)... Honestly though anything close to that and I'll be stoked!

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Yeah, i hear ya man. Thats still a lot of hp for an e30 haha.

What are your plans for the rear end if your planning on that much hp?
    -Chris

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Yeah, i hear ya man. Thats still a lot of hp for an e30 haha.

What are your plans for the rear end if your planning on that much hp?
    It has a 2.93 rebuilt LSD. Putting Koni Yellow's for the rebound adjustability to tame potential wheel hop. It has all poly bushings and I am reinforcing the diff mount. I am running 475lb springs and IE sway bars. It has 265-35-18 rubber out back (245's in front). If that isn't enough (depending on handling balance) I can go up to 315's in back without any problems.

I will be tuning it slowly up to max power. I expect to be running it at somewhat low boost for the One Lap race for reliability... maybe 18lbs max... 10-14 will be for the street I expect. I just have to see how it runs to make that determination.

Now I hope everyone understands that this is a process and I am not finished. I usually don't really like to show in process shots. I have been having issues with my welding gas... so I got to a stopping point and I am going to order more (clean) gas... and finish up the welds (lots of welding left), clean it up inside and out etc. Even the engine is in mock up... I have to install the head gasket and headstuds, install all of the studs for the exhaust and whatnot. I have to devise a heat shield for the engine mount arm blah blah blah. As I said it's in process. I am fairly happy with the way the manifold runs. I will be able to run AC if I want to (maybe after the One Lap race) and the runners are super close to equal length.

I of course also still need to install the WG outlet... and I intend to put in some bracing. But the hardest parts are way way behind me and that puts a smile on my tired, dirty face!

Last edited by DTRguy; 07-11-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Looks great man, i think my next mani will look more like yours... I like that style, it saves a ton of much needed space.

what urethane engine mounts are those? Do they fit right?
    -Chris

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Looks great man, i think my next mani will look more like yours... I like that style, it saves a ton of much needed space.

what urethane engine mounts are those? Do they fit right?

Thanks! It should be said that it is a major PITA installing the header! But I don't plan on removing it often IE e28 M5 racing poly. do they fit? Hmmm Not great... but they are doing the job I spose. My other car is also 24v and it has regular stock M5 mounts and they seem to be better... but I even shimmed that one because I didn't like the way the engine sat. They always seem to slant too far to the exhaust side and the pan rubs the rack... I shimmed mine up a little more too... making it up in other areas. Got the pan level with the ground but now have to modify the shifter rod UGH! It honestly took a lot of screwing around with them to get them to work as intended. I have the same on the tranny and I have reinforced the trans tabs (as they were broken when I got my M3 trans).

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Wow thats wild. Im gonna have to buy a set and make it work. Im reinforcing the subframe so i can move the mounts a little if need be...

Keep it up dude, im excited to see the progress
    -Chris

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v

still more header progress

I ran out of argon so I have to wait until tomorrow to finish. I still have some welds to finalize, bracing to install, porting work etc. I will be placing a kind of heat shield over the rear primaries to help keep heat out of the WG head. I took great care to pull equally from each secondary and parallel the WG system to the turbo. I find that it smooths boost up nicely. Clearances look closer than they are... I don't believe the engine will move enough for there to be any hard contact anywhere.

So Live: I will PM you back about the mount shortly.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    fucking nasty. i love it

My Cars
    325is, 540i, M3, 2002
    looks awesome! I like the body kit. The manifold and wastegate placement look really good. can't wait to see it finished up

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Hmmm what is that hiding in there?

I didn't get my argon till later in the day so I tackled another project... the IC install. I will be fiberglassing the bumper cover to sort of direct the airflow a little more when I start doing the fiberglass finishing work (and there is a lot of it! It was harder than I anticipated. It is solidly mounted but somewhat floating to allow flex in the IC piping etc. I had to decide that AC just wasn't that important for this phase of the build. I am more worried about keeping the engine cool than myself. Maybe in the future I will retrofit it back but for now it's ghandi!

Made some small progress on the IC piping. Also did some body clearancing in other areas for other plumbing (not shown). Piping is really going to be short! There are some tricks I have done here... but I'm not telling! I have to get some other silicone couplers but for now these will work.

Last edited by DTRguy; 07-16-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Haven't been able to do anything lately as I have other work in the shop... namely I am building a cage in an MR2 for Toyota Lemons race team. Soon I will be back on track. I snapped this pic just before taking fuel rail to machine shop for the injector holes. So this is for the guys that are interested in the ITB setup

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    are these the ITBs that were for sale on this forum?
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    1972 3.5cs, 1995 M3
    Wow thats wild. Im gonna have to buy a set and make it work. Im reinforcing the subframe so i can move the mounts a little if need be...

Keep it up dude, im excited to see the progress
    be carful with those IE poly mounts, they tend to melt on the exhaust side.

A friend of mine had them in his e30 318 set up for autocross and they melted in his car... so, I would advise against

My Cars
    e30 Racecar
    Looking good! Interested to see how your ITB setup works out. I was talking with those guys when they were prototyping their BMW adapter - I guess they have a kit now?

That fiberglass looks familiar... How much tire were you able to squeeze under your rear flares? I ended up modifying mine to get where I needed to be.
    -------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil
    what are your plans for tuning. Im kinda on a snag for what to do with mine since i have a non vanos motor.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post
    are these the ITBs that were for sale on this forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine72 View Post
    be carful with those IE poly mounts, they tend to melt on the exhaust side.

A friend of mine had them in his e30 318 set up for autocross and they melted in his car... so, I would advise against
    Quote Originally Posted by iflytii View Post
    Looking good! Interested to see how your ITB setup works out. I was talking with those guys when they were prototyping their BMW adapter - I guess they have a kit now?

That fiberglass looks familiar... How much tire were you able to squeeze under your rear flares? I ended up modifying mine to get where I needed to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Ball3r View Post
    what are your plans for tuning. Im kinda on a snag for what to do with mine since i have a non vanos motor.

don't know if these are the ones that were for sale... these are honestly one of the first applications of this sort (I have been working with the company for a while on various applications)

About the poly mounts... I see that it was going to be an issue... thanks for the warning... I intend to be putting in a BIG heat shield over that side to protect as best as I can the mounts.

About the flares... Actually I had more of an issue with the front! I have to run about 2.5* just to have them clear. I am running 245 18 in front and 265 in rear. I have room to go out in back as well as mucho room to go in. I planned for it in case I need to upsize to 315's

For tuning I am running a full stand alone. 034 Stg 2c

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    Nice build so far. Was the quarter panels cut out before attaching the new pieces? I know your running 265 but on what width rim and what offset. I ask because im trying to find a set of 18 x 10.5-11 wheels with 40-45 et for my e30 but i cant find a set. Also, was your t-manifold designed to produce a certain power band or was spacing the main objective for the design? Again, nice project.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by lughed View Post
    Nice build so far. Was the quarter panels cut out before attaching the new pieces? I know your running 265 but on what width rim and what offset. I ask because im trying to find a set of 18 x 10.5-11 wheels with 40-45 et for my e30 but i cant find a set. Also, was your t-manifold designed to produce a certain power band or was spacing the main objective for the design? Again, nice project.
    Great questions!

The rears were cut and carefully massaged WAY up. I'll have to get a shot of it later when I remove the outers again. Honestly I don't know the offset of the wheels. I can tell you that they are 5.5" backspacing (IIRC) it was based on stock offsets. They are supposed to be 9.5" in the back... but I think they are more like 10 or 10.5 I need to measure because my 265's are stretched! Forgeline custom made the wheels for me but it was also through a client of mine who got me the help on pricing and bartered the deal... so something may have gotten lost in translation. I originally didn't want to do ANY bodywork. But when I got the wheels, well it was obvious I was going to have to.

The manifold is designed to give full spectrum power. But it is also a design prototype that I will use on later builds to see how well I have done. I should be able to compare dyno's to various other styles of headers with similar turbos to get a feel for whether I accomplished my goals or not. I do my best to take everything into account, space, flow, wastegate operation, strength, scavenge effect, etc. Should work well I feel.

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast