Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: E30 GT35 m52 street/track demo car

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    I always wondered what happened to this thing! Glad to see you back at it sir!

Thanks Colby! It's still around! Just been in the shop just sitting for quite a while. It was WELL used and frankly didn't have the money to replace a lot of the things that were wearing out (tires alone are a small fortune!). I was kinda rushed to complete and test when it was being built. I was having fun... but not as much as I wanted to be having. This is after all a "HOBBY"... I mean sure, it's what I do for a living... but this is MY car and I don't want to look at the car and say "Man I wish I would have done that differently". Well this time I am going all OCD on the way it looks and performs. Again, so much was learned through all of that track running. This go around I expect it will really shine both in performance and looks. Unfortunately, it will have gained a few pounds... but I expect to be turning up the boost a little more this time. Should more than make up for it! I know it will be better balanced in the corners so the lap times should drop without too much effort. I LOVE the way the rear end looks now! The tires actually look BIGGER now that the body covers over them! Front tires are also under the fenders and behind the bumper like it should be. Just a touch shows from the front for a very flush look. My only complaint really is how much wheel gap there is up front... but I have 9.5" rims so there has to be room for the steering and suspension travel when the wheels are turned.

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    turbo m3
    I was looking for this thread the other day because I wanted to bump it. All I could remember was that you were/are located in Kentucky. BUT, I could not remember your SN.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    I was looking for this thread the other day because I wanted to bump it. All I could remember was that you were/are located in Kentucky. BUT, I could not remember your SN.

Yep I am in Florence...

I tried to get a cool shot of the back of the car... but the sunlight is weird so it won't take like I want. The rear looks so menacing with how wide it is

I have all but decided that I am going to not finish the body until I get the car basically done. The bodywork is all under the windows so I will just get it in primer/sealer and concentrate on the other finishing items... Roll cage, interior and get it drivable again. That way I can get the alignment and verify that the work that is done on the body is lined up like I anticipate it will be. I'd rather do that than to have to redo the paint or body panels due to some unforseen funkiness based on me doing the bodywork without the engine or known alignment setting etc.

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    none
    Playing it smart I see- good call.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    I removed the front fenders to do the final upgrades and finish work prior to re-grafting them to the side skirts and such. This gave me the opportunity to snap a couple pics of the front section reinforcing I have done...

This shows the upper shock tower reinforcing I did as well

This shot shows just how wide the front track is with the 265 front tires! Still doesn't do it justice in a pic

And another couple of views of the rear flares in process

I hope to be getting to filler/smoothing very soon... Then jump inside the car for the cage upgrades I have in store!

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    Nice job Kevin!
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Holy crap I just blew a Peter North Load all over my iPad!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Thanks Cam!

What it looks like from behind under the car a bit... Can see the new under portion of the bumper up close to the original body... and just how wide the tires are!

My Cars
    1988 325iC
    I love this car. Reminds me of mine.... but better. So you had 8.5 F and 10.5 R and now you have 9.5 F and 11 R? On the track did you see a difference between having different widths as opposed to the same width tires? I was also wondering what offset you are running, meaning how far in can you tuck a tire that wide? Great job!

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by PuebloPete View Post
    I love this car. Reminds me of mine.... but better. So you had 8.5 F and 10.5 R and now you have 9.5 F and 11 R? On the track did you see a difference between having different widths as opposed to the same width tires? I was also wondering what offset you are running, meaning how far in can you tuck a tire that wide? Great job!

Originally, everything had to be tuned for the massive amount of stagger... This meant that the front suspension was fairly soft, rear fairly stiff (750lb) and a LOT of front camber. It eventually made the car very neutral, however still limited by front grip. Also it was allowing the rear inside wheel to get light and spin due to the front being so soft. The new setup has 600lb springs up front instead of the 500's and Koni instead of billy's. With the front end reinforcement and some work on the roll cage for stiffness I hope to have a LOT more front grip with less camber angle and an overall more neutral behavior. It has not been tested yet. But, without a doubt, as good as the car WAS... I can only imagine how good it WILL be with this modification.

As far as offsets, I can only say that the front's have 5.5" back spacing. The rears are as wide as you can possibly go without hitting the swingarm. The outer lips on the front are 4" rear 4.5... so I guess there is 6.5" inside on the rear.

Is your car boosted also? What suspension setup, tires and wheels etc are you running?

My Cars
    1988 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post
    Originally, everything had to be tuned for the massive amount of stagger... This meant that the front suspension was fairly soft, rear fairly stiff (750lb) and a LOT of front camber. It eventually made the car very neutral, however still limited by front grip. Also it was allowing the rear inside wheel to get light and spin due to the front being so soft. The new setup has 600lb springs up front instead of the 500's and Koni instead of billy's. With the front end reinforcement and some work on the roll cage for stiffness I hope to have a LOT more front grip with less camber angle and an overall more neutral behavior. It has not been tested yet. But, without a doubt, as good as the car WAS... I can only imagine how good it WILL be with this modification.

As far as offsets, I can only say that the front's have 5.5" back spacing. The rears are as wide as you can possibly go without hitting the swingarm. The outer lips on the front are 4" rear 4.5... so I guess there is 6.5" inside on the rear.

Is your car boosted also? What suspension setup, tires and wheels etc are you running?
    No, I have a S52 in mine so I'm running about 240 HP weighing 2450 lbs with me in it. The reason I was asking was cause I want to go wider and I cant get my car to understeer. I'm running 600 rear 500 front with double adjustable konis all around. Front sway at 22 and rear at 19mm. I'm still softening up the rear with the konis and possibly thought about going with a smaller swaybar and I'm running 15 x 7 right now. Which is squeezing a 225/45 slicks, but I was complentating going 10" rear tires and 9" fronts possibly up to 16". I would think it would help my oversteer problem but might screw up something else.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by PuebloPete View Post
    No, I have a S52 in mine so I'm running about 240 HP weighing 2450 lbs with me in it. The reason I was asking was cause I want to go wider and I cant get my car to understeer. I'm running 600 rear 500 front with double adjustable konis all around. Front sway at 22 and rear at 19mm. I'm still softening up the rear with the konis and possibly thought about going with a smaller swaybar and I'm running 15 x 7 right now. Which is squeezing a 225/45 slicks, but I was complentating going 10" rear tires and 9" fronts possibly up to 16". I would think it would help my oversteer problem but might screw up something else.

Hmmmm... is it actually oversteering or just naturally rotating? I mean, mine has a nice rotation but when you get on the gas it starts to over rotate or depending on the turn it will push then rotate. Like I said, it was neutral. Sounds like a good question for the track guys... Might just be that you need more neg camber in the rear and less in the front... but I would guess you have considered that. The bigger the tires you run, the slower your car will accelerate. It could have higher corner speeds (to a degree) and better braking (to a degree). It's a balancing act as I am sure you understand. Mine started with 265's and we quickly discovered that I have WAY too much power for street 265's so that is why it went to the 315's. That made all of the other choices necessary in order to get it to handle.

So much progress has been made... but not a whole lot can necessarily be seen in pics... All of the fenders and such are now permanent and molded in. Every section that had to be cut, reshaped etc has now been done and I am ready for paint prep/filler stage.

So far very pleased with the overall. More so than the first time I think. I still have to make the front brake cooling duct inlets and the front under tray. Oh and the lower front corners of the front fenders aren't attached as of yet.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Little update... Body starting to take final shape... SO MUCH SANDING UGH!

More later... I am actually further along than the pictures show. Almost all of the work on the fenders is done. Some fine tuning of the drivers side is still needed yet then I can do the finish work on the side skirts and lastly the bumper work. I am still working out the details on how I am doing the brake cooling ducts. Every day I get a little closer to getting it in primer though. My goal in the end is to have the car looking like it is NOT fiberglass.

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    Looks good Kevin! You have been busy while I was gone. I might come over tonight and take a look.

-Nate
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v

Got brake ducts?

So, again many upgrades are in store for the car as a whole. One area in specific is brake cooling. It was found that even though I have huge brakes, it just isn't good enough without a good amount of directed airflow going to the rotors... so now that I have reworked the front bumper, I now have the space for the ducts. But there aren't any that I could find that are the right size or material. SOOOO, I made them out of fiberglass! I started yesterday by making half molds carved out of a 2x6" and a piece of 3" tubing. The end size will have an inlet opening of 3x5" and feed a 3" hose.

Four halves successfully molded!

Ready now to put them all together!

Freshly reinforced, and finished... Prepped for install!

Here they are installed in my lower spoiler!

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    WOAH DUDE! WOW!

Thats some GREAT work right there! Props

My Cars
    hellrot Ti
    awesome ingenuity with the brake duct molds!

My Cars
    too many
    what are you using for ducts, wire reinforced silicone?

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteghost7 View Post
    what are you using for ducts, wire reinforced silicone?

Likely yes... I have a local source for it.

Thanks for the props guys. I spent a lot of time pondering on this one. More to come.

My Cars
    many
    What bumper cover is that?
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    First 8 second full body BMW with BMW independent rear suspension in the USA
    8.69 @160mph in a 1/4mile on slicks.
    drag radial tires record holder9.53@148. Also a world record holder for bmw overall 60-130mph 4.2 seconds.
    Bistein sport susp,turner sway bars,3:25lsd,m52 AEM INFINITY stand alone. MORAN 2500cc injectors E85 ,front mount 33x12x4 intercooler, 5lug conversion M3 front,Mcoupe rear Dss axles/driveshaft ATI Proglide.
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3
    1986 Mercedes Cosworth 190e 2.3 16v 5speed (sold)

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by djborya View Post
    What bumper cover is that?

Boris... it WAS a DTM fiberworks bumper... it has undergone a LOT of custom mods by myself. In fact as of now... EVERY panel has been changed... Needed moar wide

I really wanted to share what it is likely my new favorite angle to view my car... Reminds me of a old DTM car or Grand Am or something... AWESOME
    Last edited by DTRguy; 06-21-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    none
    I love your car, and your work! Keep it up!

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    I love your car, and your work! Keep it up!
    Thanks a lot Colby!

so continuation with the brake cooling ducting... I made these...

And then I decided it was time to put the car back on it's wheels to check the bodywork (it's getting close to being done) and took these pics

Hope you like! I am pretty stoked right now! The front splitter will sit right at 5" off the ground... I measured Anthony's Spec E30 splitter at 4-4.5" off the ground so I think it will be plenty low (maybe too low for street use!).
    Last edited by DTRguy; 06-23-2012 at 11:49 PM.

My Cars
    none
    Droooooooll!!

My Cars
    FrankBuilt 95 TRM3

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast