My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    orgasm
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Thanks everyone!

Update: Car running better under power. As the tune improves in some areas, it suffers in other as of right now. I am getting the normal cruising AFR's in check which means the throttle response in some RPM's are wonky. And the startup is getting finicky at times. But under power I am in solid 11's and it pulls strong. I estimate power @ 10psi around 250-260. I am a DEAD HEAT to Anthony's Z4 in a two gear pull on the highway that we impromptu did yesterday given the amount of tuning that I have done... I am really happy with that. I drove it home last night, and back to shop this morning. So it is at least showing signs of daily reliability! I SERIOUSLY need to heat insulate the downpipe and turbo though. My engine valve cover plastic is DONE!

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    sti,m3
    nice work

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz1980 View Post
    nice work

Thanks!

Update: Timing... Well a friend/colleague came up with a great idea for checking timing since it is basically impossible to see with my setup. If you're doing something similar and need a fix to this situation I have the best idea ever! (not my idea I have to say)... First off put the engine at TDC as best you can. Then make a pointer to mount on the block and mark the crank wheel to match it. Then take a coil pack, take off the plug extension. Install (I used a 16v VW) plug wire. Remove the No1 coilpack, plug the new spark plug wire in and fire it up with your timing light attached... Raise the car to see the new mark and time away! My car was WAY off. It now runs much better and I expect a LOT more power even with conservative timing. It was a whole tooth off, and 15*! It's all aligned with the ECU now and the throttle response is insane! LOVE IT!

Pics showing what I did:

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    E30 S52 TURBO
    awesome - thats almost exactly what i've done on my car to confirm timing. altough your VW plugwire looks like it fits a little better than what i used

i made a timing ring that i glued to the face of the trigger wheel, with 1 degree increments - great for checking / confirming timing.

your car must fell completely different with the corrected timing!

My Cars
    none
    this is such a sweet project, glad to see its running well!

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by multiplex View Post
    awesome - thats almost exactly what i've done on my car to confirm timing. altough your VW plugwire looks like it fits a little better than what i used

i made a timing ring that i glued to the face of the trigger wheel, with 1 degree increments - great for checking / confirming timing.

your car must fell completely different with the corrected timing!

OMFG!!!!! Night meet day! Now... I am not going to say first or second gear are useless... because lets face it you need to get moving right? But lets just say 3k-7k WOT = tirespin in both gears on the ROLL! Effing AWESOME. conservative estimate of power... 300-325 right now! I've always known that timing is everything but DAMN! Everyone needs to keep in mind that I am pushing the huge rubber (diameter and width) plus a 2.93 rear gear! Unbelieveable!

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Coming by for another test drive after work today. You must be loving your job right now
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Hey Jay, can you post a pic of your trigger needle? I'm going to need to make one soon. Or maybe you could sell me one

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    I cleaned it up a little... and tidy'd up some things... so here is the most up to date pic of the engine bay Enjoy (I know I do )

Anthony and I just went for a little spin around the block... I fooled with the fueling a little bit and took some video . I hope it to be up here very shortly! As Anthony said..."Yeah, it's getting to the point now where we need a race track to really feel the car out" (yeah I'd say!) Just took another buddy out for a ride and he thinks it makes more power than a 350hp 944 turbo of a friend of ours. Maybe... or it is just a lighter car who knows. It is definitely running well!
    Last edited by DTRguy; 10-12-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    First "real" test drive

[ame]http://www.vimeo.com/7034127[/ame]
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    95M3sc, 01 740iL
    saw your car yesterday man that thing is awesome... i couldnt help but take a picture and invert the colors... i cant wait to see it when its done

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    Siiiik Video. Sounds healthy! Lets see an outside vid. Or a roll shot from a camera car Keep it up!

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Keaton View Post
    dudez i'm telling you safety orange & black looks really good on older cars

same color as my e30... almost

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    sounds pretty wicked!

Glad everything is falling into place

and +1 for outside vid
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    E30 S52 TURBO
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Hey Jay, can you post a pic of your trigger needle? I'm going to need to make one soon. Or maybe you could sell me one
    heres mine - same concept. so much easier to time the motor from underneath. I just laser etch'd / cut a plastic ring that i've glued to the wheel. I might make a few extra if people would find them helpful. The one below was paper - held up for a little

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Video from the Newport gathering of the BMW Festivus... Some really super hot cars there that day! My car is seen in all its undone glory at 5:55, 12:39 and shortly afterwards at 12:54.

http://www.mcoupe.com/video/fall-bimmer-festivus-2009

Currently, I am working on the front fender/bumper area to pull it out to cover more of the front of the tires. It seems because the fenders are wider than the bumper it pulls it in funny. So I am working on fixing that as best as I can quickly before we finish up the body work. Next I'll be installing my four point roll cage/harness bar and a electric cutoff switch in preparation for the track day.

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Dude everything looks and sounds awesome!

Seeing your car in the show vid makes me think you need a mtech 1 rear spoiler. do it.

Keep it up!!!!
    -Chris

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by So Live View Post
    Dude everything looks and sounds awesome!

Seeing your car in the show vid makes me think you need a mtech 1 rear spoiler. do it.

Keep it up!!!!

Thanks! Which wing is that? The regular e30 M3 wing? I don't think they provide the look or the function I want... The wing I intend to get is this:

Which looks like this on an e30 Watch badass video of this twin turbo E30

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUomu9EqBkc[/ame]

I want to be able to get minimum drag but still have the advantage of some adjustable downforce and stability at speed. I expect that at the longer tracks the car will hit 180.

this is a pic that was taken at the BMW Festivus of what I am trying to fix:

The improvement thusfar:

I still have to clean up and extend portions of the repair... so it's obviously not done... but so far I am pleased. I think I may also add small fairings out of aluminum to help with front downforce and also deflect the air from the front of the tires.

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by So Live View Post
    you need a mtech 1 rear spoiler. do it.
    haha. Dont steal my look.

I think its the hottest combo... Widebody with tech1 spoiler...

Last edited by turbo325ii; 10-14-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    i loved my mtech1

[IMG][/IMG]

Car is looking mean Kevin!
    Luke
    03 330i

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post
    The improvement thusfar:

I still have to clean up and extend portions of the repair... so it's obviously not done... but so far I am pleased. I think I may also add small fairings out of aluminum to help with front downforce and also deflect the air from the front of the tires.
    An improvement.
    You've got some work set out for you.

It seems that the top edges of the sides of the bumper need to come UPWARD further (to make it look less like it isleaning backwards),
    which may mean trimming the bottom front edge of the fender to allow the bumper to do so.

Keep it up.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo325ii View Post
    haha. Dont steal my look.

I think its the hottest combo... Widebody with tech1 spoiler...
    No worries... I already put up pics of the wing (not spoiler) that is going on. Spoilers are really for looks on most cars IMHO. They rarely have any effect except on cars that allows airflow to actually go over the spoiler. I am going with a big wing... which some may scream "Ricer" but I say "Racer" because well,that is what it is and I need the downforce and stability that will afford over a spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by M3_MadBimmer View Post
    i loved my mtech1

Car is looking mean Kevin!
    I actually do love those... I helped a buddy install one on his e30 a while back. I am glad you approve of the work ongoing!

Quote Originally Posted by milKT View Post
    An improvement.
    You've got some work set out for you.

It seems that the top edges of the sides of the bumper need to come UPWARD further (to make it look less like it isleaning backwards),
    which may mean trimming the bottom front edge of the fender to allow the bumper to do so.

Keep it up.

Thanks! I am still working on the line between the grille and bumper some. The upward tilt of the bumper can not for the life of me get fixed even remotely easily... It has to do with the bottom edge (which is my bumper mounting flange) running slightly upwards partially. Next it seems that every parallel line on the sides seem to widen as seen going towards the back edge. It is I think a really minor flaw in the mold. On the later bumpers it seems it has been corrected as their show car doesn't have the problem but originally it did. The fix? I am going to be installing another piece from the same company soon as I can get it. I will be shaving the top mounting surface so that the bottom is flat. It will be subtle but make the front end look less weird. I am trying to weigh how much I can stand to look at and how much I really want to fix said things against each other! The pulling of the fender/bumper sides is the last major thing I am willing to mess with at this point. Kinda sick of doing bodywork!

Thanks again everyone! Hoping to have the rear end all finished up tonight if all goes well!

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    How high are you going to mount the wing? I know for a fact that the wing on that car you posted the vid of has it too low.

I'm interested if you have figured out the proper placement since I have one of those wings too.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast