Thread: Stepper motors removed and fan on full speed???

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT

Stepper motors removed and fan on full speed???

Hi, first post here, i've done a search but haven't gotten anything that helps me out too much

this was the best i could find, but it only showed me some pics and gave me an idea as to why the stepper motor doesn't stop in a certain position, i was freaking out when i refitted the motors only to watch them try and keep rotating against the heater box (i thought it was gonna break!)
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...stepper+motors

referring to the pics on this next link, i think it was 7&8 that have been removed from their stock location http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/ihka/ihka.html

Anyway, the issue i'm having is, that the 535i that i just bought, came partially dismantled - the headgasket had gone and someone had started stripping it in preperation to fix it, i have since rebuild the head, and got the car running as of tonight!! YAY! with much thanks to this forum and its search button

but now that is sorted i've turned my attention towards the interior, the glove box was removed (remember im from Australia) so its the LHS, anyway, with the ignition in to ON poistion, the fan is blowing at full speed, and turning the fan speed knob doesn't do anything,

also sticking my head under the dash i noticed a stepper motor just hanging there, and when i pressed the recirc button, it started spinning, and also i think the other one is in relation to the fan speed or is it the dash vent (ill have to recheck it) anyway, both are removed from there relative positions, and i tried refitting them, but the locating tabs on the motors are not in the right position and when i do change them to the right spot and fit them up, they keep spinning and it looks like they are going to break of part of the heater box, the have a fair amount of torque for a small motor, and i fear the plastic will just break

Is this REALLY how they did it from factory?
    what should i do?
    and what about the constant high fan speed?

I checked over the fuses and relays today, all seems fine

anyone got any ideas?
    Last edited by stoney85; 07-10-2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    Well, i've looked around further, read the manual, checked stuff

I'm thinking that it's the blower motor resistor i should check next, but WHY would it be only blowing on speed 4, and not turn off at zero?, there is no variation to the fan speed

My Cars
    Suck
    Blowing only on 4? Replace the sword or resistor pack, depending on which your car has. That's just the way it works.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    No it blows full speed on any setting, turn the knob to zero and it still blows full speed (the knob isn't broken)

I initially thought it was fan speed resistor, as i used to replace them occasionally on the Ford Falcons in worked on, in the dealership i was at

But was has me stumped is the fact that it blows full speed air even when the fan speed switch is at zero

I'm yet to remove the resistor and look at it (the blue one) and haven't even looked at the sword yet - other than i know its expensive

How do i know if mine has the sword, i've read it early models only, mine is a Jan 1990 production plate

Well, turns out i dont have the resistor block and only the sword resistor

BUT i found the problem, and im not happy with whats been done

where the sword fits into the heaterbox, it appears to have been broken out, or the hole has been opened up, and there is a miriad of wires, which lead up to a knob i noticed the other day but didn't investigate - turns out this knob is the fan speed controller!

and where the sword is suppsed to go, and basic style resistor is fitted, the weird thing though is that it bolts to the factory mounts and doens't look out of place

--this is under the drivers side of a RHD vehicle--

now whats got me is why the hell would someone go to all the effort of rewiring and fitting another resistor pack in there, instead of just fixing the standard setup
    Last edited by stoney85; 07-14-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    Well i have another 535i in my posession, how much effort would be involved to swap over everything A/C and fan speed related under the dash from one car to another, that includes stripping both

An upside is that i can fix the stereo in my road car properly, and fit the alarm system and central locking form the parts car i just got