Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA:Motion Motorsports splitters STAY AWAY

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(

PSA:Motion Motorsports splitters STAY AWAY

I know these guys are members and I don't want to start a huge war here, but imo stay away from this product. I wish I had never bought a set. I just got this email from my body/paint guy who is also a bf.c member....

just a FYI the splitter bubble was caused by the actual piece seperating. Bad quality product IMHO. I will still repair it (as estimated) but can not warranty future delaminations. I can see it (eventually) will be going completly across. Call me right away if you want me to hold off on it. Otherwise i'll go ahead as estimated.

This is the SECOND body shop who has told me this product is JUNK. The first set I had, the driver side would not stop oozing gel or gel coat. Even after painted and a year installed it was still oozing. My shop told me they were junk and had no warranty on the paintwork. Motion, to their credit replaced the part for FREE. I was only out the paintwork cost, but now the other side is failing, and here I am painting them again, and no warranty. And now another shop is telling me this stuff is substandard. I have seen these in few other posts with bubbles etc and held my tongue, but I won't anymore.

In contrast, the genuine ACS splitters I had on my S52 were rock solid, fit perfect, and never gave me a single problem at all. REPLICA PARTS, NEVER AGAIN. I know some guys will post that they are not having any problems with their MM splitters, but to that I respond, just wait...you will.

Lesson: Buy once, buy right.
    Last edited by IslandS62; 07-09-2009 at 12:31 AM.
    997 Carrera 2S..the choice of 2 out of 3 Top Gear presenters.

My Cars
    92 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandS62 View Post
    Lesson: Buy once, buy right.
    I have learned this so much in the past few months. That is a bummer to hear you have had so many issues with them.

Official Off Topic Badass Club Member. Sean - 2 Cancer - 0

My Cars
    yep, I got sucked in by the price and now it's ended up costing me more than if I had just bought originals, and I am still going to have to wait for the shoe to drop on this one according to my body guy.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Yeah, I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    Thanks for posting this info. Another member here had the same problem early on http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=236 but at that time it seemed to be an aberration, and some thought the bodyshop was to blame. In any case, the makers of this product appear to be sincere about improving their wares, so hopefully their current edition splitters are problem-free.

My Cars
    FS: Z3 M Coupe & E36 M3
    I did not make a big fuzz out of this either but mine never worked either.... the damn splitters bubbled up twice now... not sure if there is a fix or not..... but yes the body shops told me the same thing... bummer! hopefully they will step up and replace these damaged units... I am down to starting a list to get ours replaced...

1. yuriosipov
    99 /// SC Stage II Z3 M Coupe

98 /// TT2 M3 Sedan

My Cars
    S54, S55
    great, I just got mine painted this week...

My Cars
    FS: Z3 M Coupe & E36 M3
    99 /// SC Stage II Z3 M Coupe

98 /// TT2 M3 Sedan

My Cars
    M Coupe, M3/4/5, E30
    Ugh, I just installed mine last week. I had my guy wrap mine in clear bra before he installed them. Maybe it will help prevent the ooze...
    Cloudbase aka Alex
    Life on the Lee-Side BLOG, Hang Gliding YouTube Channel

My Cars
    M coupe, E39, Mini R60
    I bought a set from motion, and the splitters arrived in pieces, crack...etc. They don't give refund or garantee or exchange. So I spent extra money to local shop and repair the splitters.................. thats one god dam lesson.

Last edited by pipiyangtw; 07-09-2009 at 02:27 AM.
    2011 Mini Countryman All4 *** Wife Daily!
    2002 E39 Sedan 540i M Sport. *** Daily!
    2000 M-Coupe (Titan Silver)***Weekend fun!

My Cars
    S54, S55
    mine came damaged in the exact same spot, but I assumed that was due to shipping damage. In any case, I filed a claim with USPS and am expecting to be reimbursed from it. You should give that a shot. You at least have a chance of recuperating the damage costs.

My Cars
    M coupe, E39, Mini R60
    Quote Originally Posted by buhx2 View Post
    mine came damaged in the exact same spot, but I assumed that was due to shipping damage. In any case, I filed a claim with USPS and am expecting to be reimbursed from it. You should give that a shot. You at least have a chance of recuperating the damage costs.
    I don't think its the shipping cause the damage. The box actually still in great shape.

1. I believed its the poor packing, there are no sponge inside the box. The splitters hit eachother during box is moving.
    2. The material of the splitters are weak. Maybe I got the proto type. Somehow if I drop, I think it will break very easily.
    2011 Mini Countryman All4 *** Wife Daily!
    2002 E39 Sedan 540i M Sport. *** Daily!
    2000 M-Coupe (Titan Silver)***Weekend fun!

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff.
    M coupe, a 5er and a 6er in the stables.... think you are doing ok!

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    6/83 1984 745i
    Island that sucks. This has come up way too many times...heed my warning. Guys I've pointed out in the past to stay away from these splitters. Cory was super easy to deal with but at the end of the day the splitters are way too heavy, brittle and have no business being on the front of a car. Mine showed up broken...taped the box back up and sent them back.
    alpinweiß on anthrazit buffalo 1984 745i, 2014 Fiesta ST, 1984 635csi 1986 635csi 1987 L6 1999 M coupe 2002 M3 1995 325i 1976 200​2, 2001 996 TT 1994 850 T5 wagon 1998 GTi VR6 1983 scirocco

My Cars
    W205, Z3
    This is unfortunate to hear man. Sorry! Noted not to waste money on them.
    1999 Z3 2.8 Roadster Hardtop - Boston Green/Black, Magnaflow 14815, Headers, Custom CAI, IE RSM, ACS Shocks/Struts + H&R Sport, M54 Manifold, Cosmos Strut Brace.

2007 335i Sedan 6 speed - Black/Black

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi
    the tip on my drivers side one broke on install.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    M coupe, a 5er and a 6er in the stables.... think you are doing ok!

That is not what I meant. If you buy cheap stuff, you end up paying more for it over time (replacement, repair, associated headaches). So, I'd rather buy expensive, quality stuff, rather than paying more for cheap crap. That is exactly the reason I drive BMWs.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    That sucks! Now I'm happy they were never made for the non-M...

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    At least you got a product (all be it substandard - something was delivered).

Reference: ACS replica wing.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Considering one of the guys from Motion is now rolling in a Lotus, I'd say the only one who got something out of the group buy is them. Just because you got shit in a box doesn't mean it's OK.
    Last edited by felonious monk; 07-09-2009 at 01:33 PM.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    P-c4s/mb-R500/mb-ML55/MC

My Cars
    2000 E36/8, 2007 E90
    Strange, because my splitters arrived with no problem. Paint and installation was no problem, and I haven't had any bubbling like what you guys described.

I managed to chip the corner off the splitter, but that was only because I went off track at Buttonwillow and ended up in the mud.

Cory did say mine was made from a different material though, so I dunno...

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by StarReaver View Post
    Cory did say mine was made from a different material though, so I dunno...
    If that's true, then they knowingly sold a bunch with substandard material? That's enough reason to raise a red flag.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3 Hellrot
    So much for trying to sell mine .
    1999 Turbo Hellrot M3

My Cars
    Sorry about that man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast