Thread: DSC/ASC/ABS controller removal and repair kit

My Cars
    1999 328i

DSC/ASC/ABS controller removal and repair kit

Hello, I have the dreaded ABS, ebrake, ASC/DSC light combo on the dash. I was told my the dealer that the ASC/ABS controller is at fault. Has anyone had experience removing this controller or know of a DIY? Also, I've seen on some posts that there's a rebuild kit. Does anyone know where I can get one or if they work? I drive a 99 328i. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    01 325ci
    I had the same problem with my car. The dealer told me it was the ABS unit. I replaced the rear passenger side abs speed sensor and the problem was solved. Try testing out your speed sensors before you go and spend a couple hundred on the ABS unit rebuild. Here's the guide that I used to diagnose it:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum.../t-884630.html

My Cars
    1999 328i
    How did you know it was your right rear one? Was your cruise control working prior to changing it?

My Cars
    328CI
    I have the same problem, my cruise doesn't work either, what sensor controls this?

My Cars
    1999 328i
    Check your right (passenger) rear sensor. Try cleaning it. If that doesn't work replace it.

My Cars
    01 325ci
    My cruise control was not working. I remember reading somewhere that this normally indicates the right rear. If you have a multimeter you can ohm out the sensors to see if it is bad. If it is a bad sensor make sure you replace it with an oem one. An independant mechanic I know told me that he's seen a lot of problems with third party sensors.

My Cars
    01 330I Sport/M/Winter package
    cruise control will not work if the speed sensors are not working, clean both the front and rear sensors if still not working, replace them, you can get used ones off of ebay, i did and they work fine. remember with these lights on you no longer have traction control, so be careful.

My Cars
    1999 328i
    I should mention that the lights were off all last winter when it's cold but came back in the spring when it was warmer. It turns off now from time to time but more often when it's cooler or raining. Is it possible the sensors or ABS controller is temperature sensitive in any way?

My Cars
    01 330I Sport/M/Winter package
    or its dirty, and in the winter and rainy day it gets cleaned off somewhat, we gave you advice take or not..

My Cars
    2002 E46 325Ci sport
    My car has the same problem too. I have a 2002 325CI and the cruise control works...

I took it to a local BMW shop and they root caused it to the controller (all sensors working fine).

I wanted to do the work myself and save some money, so i purchased a used controller but cant seem to figure out how to remove the module. Any help would be appreciated. It seems that the removing the module from pre-1999 cars is very easy, but not with the newer models. It looks almost like the unit is sealed.
    Cliff
    1985 325e - wrecked
    1995 318ti - sold
    2002 325ci sport - stock + 18" ACS Type III wheels

My Cars
    1999 328i
    I haven't been keeping up with this post. violatorcm, if you need a hand still I can tell you how to remove it. It's not all too bad to remove it. Let me know if the used controller works. I've heard both that they do and don't work. At the very least I think the dealer will have to reprogram it for your car.

My Cars
    89 325iX
    I could use some advice too. I replaced the wheels speed sensors and ABS module and my three lights are still on.