Thread: Seat issue with M-Coupe.

My Cars
    e36/8, W201

Seat issue with M-Coupe.

The drivers seat in my M-Coupe will go up but not back down and it will go forward but not back.

I was thinking it was the switch. Has anyone else had this problem? Can I just clean out the switch like the old e30 window switches? I plan on taking my voltmeter to it soon if it bothers me enough.

It's in the perfect spot already and It's not like I'm going to let anyone else move it. It's just an excuse to not let short people drive it also.

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    cleaning out the switch is a good start, but its not likely burnt out and dirty like old E30 switches. Those would go bad due to heat and the connections would tarnish. iirc the seat has two motors in it, most likely one of them burnt out or the connections to it burnt out.
    997 Carrera 2S..the choice of 2 out of 3 Top Gear presenters.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    This is going to sound stupid I know... My seat did the same and I thought it was burnt, but then I adjusted the seat back with the lever so that it sprung forward and then hit the switch and the seat went back and down. I attempted to duplicate it by sliding the seat forward and up, put the seat back down again with the lever and the same thing happened. It's as if the thing has a proximity sensor (I know it doesn't, or shouldn't) - So if the seat in my car is laid back to far the seat won't slide back as if to prevent it from jamming.

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    There is a pressure switch in the seat back that stops backward movement when the seat back contacts the foam insert in the back wall (under the carpeting).

My Cars
    e36/8, W201
    I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Damn - So there IS a proximity sensor of sorts.. I theorized that whatever made it do that was good because it wouldn't jam the motor. Them Germans think of everything

My Cars
    e36/8, W201
    It was the sensor. Thanks guys!!!

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roady, '08 M5
    I will try this out. Mine goes back and forth, but not up and down. Its on both sides, driver and passenger. I have a feeling its not what you guys are talking about but worth a shot since it won't cost a thing.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    My drivres seat would not move down as far as the passenger side. I took the seat out and found a AA battery wedged in the track that prevented full range of movement
    2000 Z3 MCoupe, '01 LSB E46 M3, '99 GTI VR6, '06 Audi A4, Andrew '95 Avus M3

My Cars
    Z3 M Coupe
    Starts this old thread again...
    Just removed driver seat on my M-Coupe to replace the seat bushes.
    Have another problem with the seat. It will go forward & back but not up & down.
    Seat is stock at the bottom level and when i try to raise the seat engine "clicks"
    What should I do?

My Cars
    Z3 M Coupe
    Is there no one who had this problem?

Driver seat will go forward & back but not up & down.
    Seat is stock at the bottom level and when i try to raise the seat engine make "clicks" sounds.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I have seen the seats stuck in the raised position. The linkage will go too far and bind. The fix is to disconnect the linkage and manually wind it down a little bit.

/.randy

My Cars
    Z3 M Coupe
    Cheers!

Will try that.

My Cars
    2013 M3 Comp 6mt
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    I have seen the seats stuck in the raised position. The linkage will go too far and bind. The fix is to disconnect the linkage and manually wind it down a little bit.
    I know this an old thread but, how do you manually wind it down for a power seat? Not sure I understand where the linkage is. I installed a new gear so my power seat could recline and now the seat is stuck in the high position and will not go down.
    ///MLOVE
    1993 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    1995 M3 (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    1987 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    2001 M3 (Laguna Seca Blue) (sold)
    2004 X5 4.4 (Sapphire Black Metallic) (sold)
    1997 M3 Saloon (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    2003 X5 3.0 (Steel Gray Metallic)
    2013 M3 Competition (Lemans Blue Metallic)

My Cars
    z3
    Disconnect the linkage from the motor and use a power drill or similar to rotate the cable to move it

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Disconnect the linkage from the motor and use a power drill or similar to rotate the cable to move it
    In a pinch, it can be wound down by hand too. It doesn't take much, you just need 1/2-dozen turns to back it away from its limits.