Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: crazy instrument cluster...switch on/off himself

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    My cluster just started doing this - once you take it out and apart is it obvious these two things are somehow compromised? I have no idea what I would be looking for and whether they are fine or need to "reflowed"? Talked to a well known speedo shop and they have no interest in messing with it as the fixes are not consistently reliable...but Ill try it before I buy a new one.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Mine (95/OBD1) has been acting up a lot lately. Took it apart, resoldered about 12 joints that looked iffy, and didn't help a bit.

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    Interesting - NH speedo said they would look at it so Im going to send it to them, if its no better Ill buy another one I guess. Only reason I want to fix this one is that its a uk speedo with oil temp and my mileage coded.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    To anyone with this issue, I came across this cluster problem when I bought a 95 m3, fixed it in 5 minutes by resoldering 2 cracked solder joints.. Showed in my thread.. http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-owner-1995-M3

22133257470_8235c11850_c.jpg
    Last edited by tofik; 10-31-2015 at 01:16 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    ^Thanks. I saw that thread, but somehow missed the picture. I guess I pull mine back out and take another look, specifically at those joints.

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Some very useful info here. Too bad the title is not as helpful. I do love the use of pronouns to describe a gauge cluster though. .

My Cars
    2002 BMW Ze
    Thanks to all the posters who have spotted the resolver solution.

I've similar issues with my Z3. I've got the back of the cluster off by undoing the 5 torq screws.

question is how do I remove the green printed circuit board to get at the other side to do the soldering? Any pics or advice much appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    96 328is
    Thanks to tofik for this info, greatly help me troubleshoot the 95 320i cluster problem. Fixed it in a few minutes and it works perfectly now. The tough part was to get the cluster out of the dash, not much room to get your hands in there to unplug it but all worked out great.

Quote Originally Posted by tofik View Post
    To anyone with this issue, I came across this cluster problem when I bought a 95 m3, fixed it in 5 minutes by resoldering 2 cracked solder joints.. Showed in my thread.. http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-owner-1995-M3

22133257470_8235c11850_c.jpg

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i Coupe
    how do you remove the blue plastic cover that covers the board?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Ha my car just started doing this.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Florinachos View Post
    how do you remove the blue plastic cover that covers the board?
    shown here how to in e36-gauge-ring-install-cluster-removal http://www.khoalty.com/blog/bmw-e36-...uster-removal/
    BTW: There are 2 E36 M3 clusters for sale at the moment in the BMW Classifieds, BMW Parts For Sale (No Panjo) sponsored by Bavarian Auto Recycling, Interior Lighting & Body Parts
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1987 325i

Thanks for this info!

Sounds like my issue. Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by TudiBMW View Post
    Hi,

Today i took a job on a beemer and i ran into the same problem what you guys have.
    I tried to search solution on the net but i did not find any useful solution,just questions.
    I dismantled the cluster,and i tried to find the faulty part,and i found it!
    So i solved this mistery.
    All you need to re-solder two legs of quartz,in the back of the IKE circuit board.
    Here are the photos of the job.
    Everybody enjoy!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123