Thread: Unlocking Problems

My Cars
    BMW 1999 E46 328i

Unlocking Problems

Folks,

Im having some issues with my 99 E46. I sometimes run into problems when Im trying to unlock the car. I keep pressing the unlock button and the car does not unlock. I have to use the key to unlock the drivers door, but then when I try to open the other doors for my passengers...I cant...because the unlock button inside the car does not respond.

No one else can get in the car...which is pretty embarassing. I have to keep pressing the lock and unlock button on the remote 10 times and finally it responds which is crappy.

Ive changed the battery on the remote....and I still have the same problem.

Anyone ran into this before?

It doesent happen all the time...but when it does...its annoying and embarassing.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Potential culprits:
    - Key
    - Lock actuator
    - Console lock/unlock button
    - General module: http://www.bmwgm5.com/

Based on your description of "sometimes" I'm leaning toward the General Module. Fortunately, there's a fix available - follow the link above. The website is ugly old-school hand-written HTML, but I've read that the service is legitimate and quality.
    Last edited by nathancarter; 06-24-2009 at 01:02 PM.

My Cars
    2010 bmw 318i
    Sounds like it's the general module if all the door's are not unlocking

My Cars
    89 325iX
    Quote Originally Posted by damo318 View Post
    Sounds like it's the general module if all the door's are not unlocking
    +1 the general module sounds like the problem to me...

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Mine has done that a few times where it wouldnt unlock with the key, I just got in and hit the lock/unlock button inside.

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Mine does that too every once in a while. I hope it goes before the CPO is up

My Cars
    2000 323i
    the same problem happened to me today on my way into work. when i returned after my shift, everything was fine.

My Cars
    02 325i

i know better

for all of you with any e46 locking problems here is one thing to check if you remove your key and the lights are off does the chime still sound when the door is open if so whitch is likely for this guy there is a tsb (technical service bulliton refering to the repair it is simple... this of course happend to me it is as simple as replacing a fuse- 7.5 amp to 10 amp although right now i cant remember whitch fuse i think its 46 or 64 but if it still happens there is a connector behind the fuse anel you need to check ill post th tsb info tomorrow. when this happend to me i went staight to my remote battery but no luck then i checked for tsb's

logic modules rarely go baddont go buy a general module before checking for this there is also another tsb relating to programing the key i can get you
    Last edited by utibmwtech; 06-24-2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW 1999 E46 328i
    What would the door chime indicate?

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Probably would indicate whether the car thinks a door is open or not. If the car thinks the door is open, then it won't lock the door(s). I don't remember the exact logic of when it will lock and unlock, but as a general rule it has to think all the doors are closed before it'll lock and unlock.

I think (vaguely remember reading) there's a magnetic switch in each door jamb that detects whether the door is open or shut.

(side note, my old Mercedes had push-button contact switches in the front of each door jamb...when the door was closed, the button was pushed, when the door was open, the button was not pushed. Simple and effective.)

My Cars
    BMW 1999 E46 328i
    Yeah, my door doesent chime after the keys is pulled out, and I open the door after the lights switch off.

I looked at the module link...man that would be a pain to do.

My Cars
    BMW 94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by utibmwtech View Post
    for all of you with any e46 locking problems here is one thing to check if you remove your key and the lights are off does the chime still sound when the door is open if so whitch is likely for this guy there is a tsb (technical service bulliton refering to the repair it is simple... this of course happend to me it is as simple as replacing a fuse- 7.5 amp to 10 amp although right now i cant remember whitch fuse i think its 46 or 64 but if it still happens there is a connector behind the fuse anel you need to check ill post th tsb info tomorrow. when this happend to me i went staight to my remote battery but no luck then i checked for tsb's

logic modules rarely go baddont go buy a general module before checking for this there is also another tsb relating to programing the key i can get you
    Were you able to find out which fuse it was? I'm thinking of trying this myself before I start to dismantle the glove box to get to the circuit board to send the modules over to bmwG5.com website.

It's actually my sisters car and she's been having trouble with using the unlocking/locking function on the key itself everytime she tries to unlock or lock it sometimes will fuction, but other times it's a pain b/c she has to lock it manually.

She even gets inside the car to unlock the passenger doors, but is unable to when she hits the unlock/lock button in the center of the console... hopefully it's just the fuse and not the modules :/ we barely purchased the car 3 wks ago and it started with this issue.

My Cars
    2001 Topaz 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    Probably would indicate whether the car thinks a door is open or not. If the car thinks the door is open, then it won't lock the door(s). I don't remember the exact logic of when it will lock and unlock, but as a general rule it has to think all the doors are closed before it'll lock and unlock.
    I think it's only the driver door that has to be shut. I've locked my car with my keyfob with the passenger door open before. Either that or my car is some anomaly

My Cars
    1999 323i
    avs2006, you are correct. ONLY the driver's door needs to be closed for the car (GM5 module) to respond to a lock command from the key fob. If the driver's door is not closed the car will completely ignore the request.

utibmwtech, thanks for the info regarding the possible bad fuse causing door lock issues. I've talked to A LOT of people with door lock problems and most are bad actuator with bad GM5 modules coming in 2nd, but, I've never heard of anyone except you with bad fuse (#67 - power for EWS - Electronic Immobilizer Control Unit), but, I'll add that to my web site, www.bmwgm5.com, as a possible problem. Since there is a SI bulletin on it it must be more common that I thought.
    Last edited by scottjoh; 10-15-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    99 E46 328i
    I'm having pretty similar problems. I've changed batteries and my keyfobs worked for a little while both lock and unlock.

Then they stopped working to lock. Now they've stopped working for unlock.

Occassionally the interior lock/unlock button doesn't work or it doesn't lock all of them. My interior light also sometimes does not come on when I turn off the car and open the door, and the autolock when driving away no longer operates.

General Module?

Thanks!
    -Mikael, pronounced like "nickel" with an "M"
    1999 Schwarz E46 328i

My Cars
    82' 320IS
    Ive had this problem also.... Never a problem unlocking the driver side, but every now and then the passenger side doesnt want to unlock. Its more annoying than anything.

My Cars
    2001 Topaz 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Mik View Post
    Occassionally the interior lock/unlock button doesn't work or it doesn't lock all of them. My interior light also sometimes does not come on when I turn off the car and open the door, and the autolock when driving away no longer operates.
    On these points:

Interior button: The button will not work to unlock the car if the car is locked with the keyfob. There may be other similar combinations of use of the keyfob that will disable the interior button, but that is the only one I know of for sure off the top of my head.

Autolock: My first E46 had this feature, my current does not. I believe it is something the dealer can turn on by programming it. If you're lucky, the dealer may do it for free if you happen to be there picking up a part, or fluids, etc and you bring it up.

Happy motoring...

My Cars
    2003 325i
    hi guys, i'm new to bimmerforums, anyhow i had this problem with my car too and just got it back from the dealer today after they replaced the General Module. needless to say it's quite expensive to replace.

My Cars
    '03 325xi, '04 ZHP, CX-7
    Mine does this too every so often... If after it won't open the passenger's door I lock it and then unlock it again, all the doors will unlock.

matte black grills | 35% tint | lip spoiler | vanos replaced | transmission software upgrade | sharpie mod | dr. colorchip | di-noc trim
    control arms & bushings replaced | pdc diy | clown nose, blink & chirp activated | red tails | pink whale mod | chrome/leather shift knob | everything hardwired

My Cars
    1999 z3 coupe - black
    bump. My e46 actually locked me out yesterday. I had been getting by with the key in the driver's door lock rather than the remote. It still didn't solve the problem of rest of the doors being unresponsive and having to crawl in and unlock other doors, but at least I could get in and out. Yesterday, though, even the key in the door didn't unlock the car. I let it sit for a while, then tried it again. It unlocked the other three doors. I had to open the rear door and climb in and unlock the driver door.

So I guess it's time to try "the fix." Here's what I gather from above:

1. Try fuse first. Maybe I get lucky.
    2. If it's not a fuse, try the actuator.
    3. If it's not the actuator, try the module fix.
    4. Last resort: call my indy.

Did I get that right?

Also, where is a good source for a new actuator?

My Cars
    2000 BMW E46 Sedan 320i
    Hello,

I've been reading in MANY forums today trying to solve this problem on my car.
    Tomorrow my BMW will be sent to an authorized BMW mechanic.

So why does this car appear? I've got all the symptoms as written before.

1. I try to unlock the car with remote. The car won't unlock
    2. I try to unlock the truck with remote. The trunk WILL unlock
    3. When i try the "lock" button I can hear a noise right over the battery in the trunk, but there's nothing to lock.
    4. I can't unlock any door with the handle inside.

So how do I unlock my car? Like all others have to do, put the key in the lock and unlock it.
    When pushing the "lock/unlock" button the car will lock, but not unlock. To unlock it I'll have to put the key inside the lock again and unlock it.

Sometimes It'll work, and sometimes not. There was snowing today, about 0 degrees celcius outside. Never had this problem before.
    30 minutes later it worked fine.

So why is this happening?
    Is it the GM5 module? What are the GM5 module? Can the BMW mechanic find out this if it works when I'm delivering it tomorrow?

Really looking forward hearing your response!

My Cars
    zhp, 335i, x3, z3mr
    Quote Originally Posted by kristiann92 View Post
    Hello,
    I've been reading in MANY forums today trying to solve this problem on my car.
    Tomorrow my BMW will be sent to an authorized BMW mechanic.
    Any news on what it was? I have same symtoms--button on console will lock but not unlock all doors when really cold.