Thread: Strange headlight/indicator problem. Help appreciated.

My Cars
    1980 E21 323i

Strange headlight/indicator problem. Help appreciated.

Hi all,

I've tried searching for this and whilst people have had similar problems, none of the fixes have worked for my specific problem.

I was driving home last night and as the road emptied I flicked on my high beams. Instead of extra illumination I got none... at all. All the lights turned off and refused to come back on.

A bit of roadside fiddling with fuses and relays acheived nothing. Closer examination revealed that the hazard lights were working but very weakly. Being close to home I elected to go the rest of the way with the hazards on. Whilst en route I continued playing with the switches and at some point the headlights miraculously returned.

Safely home I decided to see if the fault was a one off and hit the high beams again. Once again, total headlight failure.

I've checked today, and the parking lights work but as soon as you put the headlights all the way to 'on' the parking lights go out and the inidicators come on solidly. The main beam does not work. If I leave the key out of the ignition and turn the lights on the parking lights illuminate (which is normal) if I then hit the hazard switch the parking lights flash whilst the indicators do nothing (which is not normal).

Thoughts, experiences, suggestions?

Any help appreciated as this latest problem is starting to feel a lot like the last straw.

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    it's your hazard switch, take it apart and bend the aluminum arm back to it's proper position. also check that the small copper arm down inside the switch is positioned to contact the button when it's depressed.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Do all e21 hazzard switches pose the same threat?

Years ago I had some lighting issues, fortunately it was just bad grounds.

Robert
    Tbd

My Cars
    1982 323i e21
    They need to be cross wired and removed, not fixed.
    My Website

1982 323i

Under the Hood:

M20B23, Dogleg tranny, K&N Box Air Filter, Hayden 11inch Pusher Fan, redline tranny/diff fluid, Dual Exhaust,3.45 open.
    Braking/Suspension:
    Steel brake lines in front, front/rear 323i disks, Front and Rear Strut Braces, Lower Alpina(Ken) Bar, Kmac Camber/Castor Plates(Raise the front 1 inch), PolyUrethane Steering Rack Mounts, Rims = RG alloy wheel set (BBS design) silver 6x13“ KBA 40324, Tires: Sumitomo 195/60/13, Struts: Bilstien HDs Springs: Stock
    Body:
    087-Graphit-metallic, Euro Bumpers, BBS Valance, Foha Rear Spoler, Yellow Hella High Beams
    Interior:
    Recaro Front Seats, Sports Steering Wheel, Kph 220 Speedometer, Vacuum gauge, Air/Fuel Gauge

My Cars
    1980 E21 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by bflan2001 View Post
    it's your hazard switch, take it apart and bend the aluminum arm back to it's proper position. also check that the small copper arm down inside the switch is positioned to contact the button when it's depressed.
    Will do, thank you.

My Cars
    81 318i..eurotrashed
    Quote Originally Posted by g323 View Post
    They need to be cross wired and removed, not fixed.
    I just cut the power line to it.

My Cars
    1981 E21 318i
    More likely to be a grounding issue ... the only common point between the front parking lights and the turn lights is the ground point next the the battery.
    hmm .. Wonder what happens if I do this ...

My Cars
    E-21 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckanic View Post
    Hi all,

I've tried searching for this and whilst people have had similar problems, none of the fixes have worked for my specific problem.

I was driving home last night and as the road emptied I flicked on my high beams. Instead of extra illumination I got none... at all. All the lights turned off and refused to come back on.

A bit of roadside fiddling with fuses and relays acheived nothing. Closer examination revealed that the hazard lights were working but very weakly. Being close to home I elected to go the rest of the way with the hazards on. Whilst en route I continued playing with the switches and at some point the headlights miraculously returned.

Safely home I decided to see if the fault was a one off and hit the high beams again. Once again, total headlight failure.

I've checked today, and the parking lights work but as soon as you put the headlights all the way to 'on' the parking lights go out and the inidicators come on solidly. The main beam does not work. If I leave the key out of the ignition and turn the lights on the parking lights illuminate (which is normal) if I then hit the hazard switch the parking lights flash whilst the indicators do nothing (which is not normal).

Thoughts, experiences, suggestions?

Any help appreciated as this latest problem is starting to feel a lot like the last straw.
    When this all happend, did you lose power and did your radio turn off and then back on? When you use your turn signals does your radio sometimes go off and then come back on?

Cool83
    Houston, Texas

My Cars
    1980 E21 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool83 View Post
    When this all happend, did you lose power and did your radio turn off and then back on? When you use your turn signals does your radio sometimes go off and then come back on?

Cool83
    Houston, Texas
    I couldn't tell you. The radio gave up the ghost a long time ago. There was no power loss though.