Thread: Calling all E36 experts ... unusual rear clunk i can't figure out

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual

Calling all E36 experts ... unusual rear clunk i can't figure out

1998 E36 M3/4/5 no fold down seats so it's harder to listen in the trunk area.

so here's the story ... i have this clunking coming from the rear of the car when i go over potholes or cracks in the road.

This started happening sometime after i replaced the RTABs, or at least thats what i think as i never noticed it before but that might be because the suspension was crap when i bought the car a few months ago.

This is what i replaced so far:

1. RTABs(completely shot, the rubber center was separated from the metal on the old ones)
    2. rear schoks(new BMW OE shocks, old ones were blown)
    3. meyle hd rear shock mounts+reinforcement plates from(UUC kit)
    4. flex disc(probably not related)
    5. alignment
    6. all front bushings, lots of other maintenance, etc (not related)

i checked the shock towers and they're not cracked, i checked the diff mounting points and they looked fine ... i'm ready to take it in to a shop and pay them to diagnose it as i'm out of ideas.

what say you bf.c?

My Cars
    '93 325iS
    did you check if the sway bars are properly connected to the rear trailing arm?
    also, check the brake dust shield, they should not make a sound if you hit them.

how's the guibo? gluck!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    FS: OEM 6-Disc CD Changer

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    guibo is good(replaced it already).

sway bar brackets ... never thought of those, i'll take a look and see.

any other suggestions?

My Cars
    Avus M3
    Could be the rear control arm bushings/balljoints.

My Cars
    E36
    my battery was loose and caused a clunking over bumps...but i would guess that's a rare, lucky problem. maybe it's ur spare tire or jack if it's loose too? hoping for an easy fix here, lol.

good luck!
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    '96 Silver E36 M3 co
    Quote Originally Posted by zerreissen View Post
    Could be the rear control arm bushings/balljoints.
    Jack up (and support well) the rear of the car with the tire about 3" off the ground, and have a friend stick a length of scrap 2x4 under the wheel using as a lever. Have the friend pull up and down sharply while you feel around the suspension for the clunk.

This worked for me.. my clunk was indeed the rear lower balljoints. Car is tight as a drum now.

p.s. when it comes time to do the rear balljoints, cheap 1 3/4" hole-saws are your friends!

Dan

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    you got a pic of which ball joints you're refering to? would replacing the lower control arms all together take care of the balljoints or are those attached to something else?

thanks.

My Cars
    '96 Silver E36 M3 co
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence1 View Post
    you got a pic of which ball joints you're refering to? would replacing the lower control arms all together take care of the balljoints or are those attached to something else?

thanks.

Them'z them. :O)

Dan
    Last edited by BeerHat; 06-24-2009 at 01:40 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerHat View Post

Them'z them. :O)

Dan

OP, you'll notice the lower is different than the upper in the diagram.
    The pic shows identical parts.
    It's ok to use the same part in the 95's as used in the 96+.
    In fact, it's considered an upgrade.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    got it ... thanks.

whats the procedure for replacing these seeing they;re in the trailing arm ... any special tools needed?

and also putting pressure on them with a large screwdriver or lever should exhibit some movement/play, correct?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    check your front diff bolt, i just broke mine off inside the diff.
    -Matt
    99' techno e36 M3 coupe/5sp

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    update: i had the car on a lift today and looked at everything back there.

the ball joints had some play in them and the lower ones were torn, the lower diff bushing is worn but probably unlikely to be the cause of the clunk, subframe mounts look good, RTABs i didnt check to see if they;re centered but applying pressure to them gave no movement so i would assume they're ok(i'll take another look tomorrow). shocks look fine, RSMs look fine, shock towers are good ...

i'm going to tackle the balljoints next and will probably replace the lower control arms as well because they're cheap.

what's shocking is that i got quoted at 7.5 hrs + parts + allignment to do the rear balljoints(that comes to $900(labor) + parts) which seems like robbery to me.

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    Those ball joints are a cunt... you can get a pair for 45 bucks on ebay (4 needed), and i HIGHLY suggest just taking the whole arm to a machine shop to have the old ones pressed out and the new sets pressed in. Removing the arm isnt that bad.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    Those ball joints are a cunt... you can get a pair for 45 bucks on ebay (4 needed), and i HIGHLY suggest just taking the whole arm to a machine shop to have the old ones pressed out and the new sets pressed in. Removing the arm isnt that bad.
    The fiddly part of removal is the E-brake cable, right?
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    99 M3
    Check your exhaust mounts, sometimes if one of those has given the exhaust will hit things over bumps, or particularly through turns. Wouldn't hurt to also check the diff bolt, although normally that is related more to clunking from acceleration instead of bumps.

My Cars
    '96 Silver E36 M3 co
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post

They're not too bad actually, if you're inclined. Usually the bottom ones go first, my bottoms were way toasted and I didn't need uppers.

Like I said, CHEAP holesaws are your friend. 1 3/4" for the pusher to be exact. Fits around the boot, but catches the steel. I think I used a 2" holesaw for the receiver, just get one big enough to catch the lip of the arm, and will also take most of the joint as it's pulled through. Make sure you test fit, as not all manufactures of holesaws are 100% accurate.

1. Hit the front and back of the old balljoints with a little PB blaster, let soak for a bit while you move through the steps below.

2. Mark the alignment eccentric's positions with a sharpie so you keep things inline after surgery.

....2.5 When you undo the eccentric bolts, take caution not to destroy the eccentric nub on the trailing arm.

3. Then get yourself a length (8" or so) of threaded rod that will fit through the balljoint and both hole-saw's base holes. Get two nuts and washers for that threaded rod too. Washers need to be big enough to cover the entire top of your holesaws to distribute the force more evenly around the outer edges. I chose to cut the teeth off of my holesaws with a steel saw, you may not need to, but I'm just anal that way.

4. There is a taper that narrows toward the front of the car, which means the joint must exit and enter toward the rear. Put your 2" holesaw toward the rear of the car, put the 1 3/4" on the other. Stick your threaded rod through the whole assembly ensuring things are centered and snugged. Then tighten the assembly. It will take a little force, but will draw the joint out into the 2" holesaw.

5. Clean up the hole with a rag.

Installation is the opposite of removal, except you just switch around the holesaws, so the 2" is toward the front of the car. No lube is necessary. Just make sure things are going in straight as you tighten initially. The taper in the arm, and the chamfering on the edges of the balljoint kinda help guide it in.

Biggest pill for me was keeping the trailing arms out of the way. They're a bugger.

Dan

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    The fiddly part of removal is the E-brake cable, right?
    thats pretty easy, the whole dis assembly is simple, its getting the old ball joints out thats a pain. I bent large Cclamps, broke numerous bolts/washers with the home made tools posted on this forum. Save yourself the time and headache, and have them done. Its cheaper than making various tools as well.

They're not too bad actually, if you're inclined. Usually the bottom ones go first, my bottoms were way toasted and I didn't need uppers.

Like I said, CHEAP holesaws are your friend. 1 3/4" for the pusher to be exact. Fits around the boot, but catches the steel. I think I used a 2" holesaw for the receiver, just get one big enough to catch the lip of the arm, and will also take most of the joint as it's pulled through. Make sure you test fit, as not all manufactures of holesaws are 100% accurate.

1. Hit the front and back of the old balljoints with a little PB blaster, let soak for a bit while you move through the steps below.

2. Mark the alignment eccentric's positions with a sharpie so you keep things inline after surgery.

....2.5 When you undo the eccentric bolts, take caution not to destroy the eccentric nub on the trailing arm.

3. Then get yourself a length (8" or so) of threaded rod that will fit through the balljoint and both hole-saw's base holes. Get two nuts and washers for that threaded rod too. Washers need to be big enough to cover the entire top of your holesaws to distribute the force more evenly around the outer edges. I chose to cut the teeth off of my holesaws with a steel saw, you may not need to, but I'm just anal that way.

4. There is a taper that narrows toward the front of the car, which means the joint must exit and enter toward the rear. Put your 2" holesaw toward the rear of the car, put the 1 3/4" on the other. Stick your threaded rod through the whole assembly ensuring things are centered and snugged. Then tighten the assembly. It will take a little force, but will draw the joint out into the 2" holesaw.

5. Clean up the hole with a rag.

Installation is the opposite of removal, except you just switch around the holesaws, so the 2" is toward the front of the car. No lube is necessary. Just make sure things are going in straight as you tighten initially. The taper in the arm, and the chamfering on the edges of the balljoint kinda help guide it in.

Biggest pill for me was keeping the trailing arms out of the way. They're a bugger.

Dan
    I replaced every bushing/joint in the car. the removal and installation of arms/lines/etc is simple, its the pressing that boned me.
    Last edited by rebs; 06-26-2009 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by elsdragon314 View Post
    Check your exhaust mounts, sometimes if one of those has given the exhaust will hit things over bumps, or particularly through turns. Wouldn't hurt to also check the diff bolt, although normally that is related more to clunking from acceleration instead of bumps.
    exhaust mounts are all new.

didn't get a chance to get another look back there as i've been busy this past couple of days.

i removed a trailing arm before and it wasn't too bad. once the arm is out can you just press in the new bushings over the old ones(like the front LCABs)?

honestly, i was going to have these done at a shop but seeing how i was quoted an ass raping $900 in labor alone, i am seriously considering doing them on my own.

My Cars
    2007 x5 4.8l 2004.330ci

Thumbs up A good cheap effective way to find suspension chunks.

Jack up (and support well) the rear of the car with the tire about 3" off the ground, and have a friend stick a length of scrap 2x4 under the wheel using as a lever. Have the friend pull up and down sharply while you feel around the suspension for the clunk. This worked for me.. my clunk was indeed the rear lower balljoints. Car is tight as a drum now.
    p.s. when it comes time to do the rear balljoints, cheap 1 3/4" hole-saws are your friends! Dan
    Nice practical technique! I love it.