Thread: *VANOS Solenoid removal/Camshaft Sensor*

My Cars
    1997 TV M3

*VANOS Solenoid removal/Camshaft Sensor*

Has anyone here removed the solenoid before?? Does it require a special wrench?? I called BMW and they said it takes a 24 or 26MM wrench but those are frickin too thick to fit between the solenoid and engine...I am staring at the Cam sensor but I need to get the solenoid off..any help is GREATLY appreciated considering I have no car until I get this fixed..

Peace

Farmer

My Cars
    E30, E36/5, F350
    I'm pretty sure it's a 24mm. You can get it with a normal wrench, I have many times. You only really need to break it loose then it will spin freely.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe
    I am currently in the process of replacing the Cam Position Sensor and I have to first take the Vanos Solenoid out... It won't budge so I was wondering if I'm turning towards the right direction... Viewing it, standing in front of the car, do I turn clockwise or counter clockwise???

thanks a lot!!!

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    On my car (OBD-II) you have to remove the front engine hook and the oil filter housing cap AND the oil feed line under the solenoid. After that I can use my extremely big crescent wrench to turn the solenoid.

Blink21M2:

Left loosey, Righty tighty.

Opposite that since your at an inverse side.

Basically turn it clockwise if you're in front of the car.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Damnit blink... you bumped a 3 year old thread

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe
    thanks a lot Braymond! That's what I was doing, turning it clockwise standing in front of the car but the stupid thing won't budge, I'm already damaging the damn thing... I 'ma go try it again, thanks!

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink21Me View Post
    thanks a lot Braymond! That's what I was doing, turning it clockwise standing in front of the car but the stupid thing won't budge, I'm already damaging the damn thing... I 'ma go try it again, thanks!
    Remove all the things I mentioned. You're probably bending that oil line I mentioned.