Thread: To Buy or not to buy a 2000 BMW 528i, opinions are appreciated

My Cars
    2000 528i

To Buy or not to buy a 2000 BMW 528i, opinions are appreciated

HI everybody,

I'm new to this forum and I may soon be a new 5 series owner. I am being offered the following car at the following description:

2000 BMW 528i
    -Manual
    -Premium package
    -55,000 miles
    -Sun roof
    -asking price $24,000

This is being sold by a third party who offers no extended warranty and I do not know how to tell if the car has any real mechanical problems. The only thing he'll let me do is sit in the car while it is turned on. If anyone would be kind enough to point out a few things one should take into consideration before buying this car, I would be grateful. I love the 5 series, but never driven a manual. Thanks guys...

My Cars
    1995 540i, 2007 VW EOS, 2008 Acura MDX
    Generally speaking.... I'd say it's priced a liitle high but you gotta start somewhere. The bigger question is why won't he let you drive it? That's like buying a pair of shoes without trying them on. I'd look around.
    The only thing new in the world, is the history that you don't know - Harry S. Truman

My Cars
    2000 528i
    He wont let me drive it because Im buying it from an auction house. These people only let you sit inside the car when its turned on. I was hoping to get a good deal on this car, but I also want to safeguard myself from any major defects/problems.

Has anybody else bought a BMW from an auction house?

My Cars
    2013 Kia Optima SX-L
    I would walk away. there are plenty of cars available out there in that price range which you can find more information about. in my opinion, buying a car which you know so little about is just begging for trouble...

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3
    hmmm how about my 2000 540i Sport for about the same price? :

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i, 1998 BMW 528i
    In this market, you could probably find a CPO for around that price at a dealership....
    1998 528i
    Aspen Silver w/Gray interior
    Completely stock (at least for now)
    ---------------------------------------------
    1992 325i (For Sale)
    150K miles
    Bilstein HDs, Dinan chip, K&N

My Cars
    2000 528i
    CPO = ?

My Cars
    Certified Pre Owned (CPO)
    1998 528i
    1992 325i (For Sale)
    150K miles

My Cars
    '04 M3/MT Coupe,'04 X3
    Auction houses are weird like that...that's just general policy, not something they're doing just to you.

That price feels high...especially when you could knock off a couple years and about a quarter of the price if you look around. Forget how many miles are on it. Look for interior wear and good maintenance.

Also, if they won't let you drive it, make sure you give it a FULL inspection, inside/outside top and bottom. If you're not confident that you would be able to find evidence of prior damage, bring someone who is experienced.

Finally, don't jump on something if you "think" it's a good deal. Just remember that somebody is still turning a profit, and it probably isn't you. I used to get excited when I saw something that might be a good deal...but it was always give and take.

Get a feel for pricing on autotrader, and check out www.bmwtips.com for general E39 info.

Good luck!!
    -Aaron
    2004 M3 - Coupe, 6spd, Silver Grey on Black
    | RAC RG63, PSS, ZCP Brakes, aFe, SS (V1, Res. X-pipe, Street Muffler), Epic Alpha-N, 319whp |
    2006 Jetta TDI/DSG, Pkg 2, Silver on Black - Sold
    2004 M3 SMG - Silver Grey on Black, Convertible - RIP
    1995 525I 5spd - Black on Black -Sold
    2004 X3 3.0i AT- Blue on Tan - For the wife....

My Cars
    I agree with abakos...The other thing to consider is that the used car market is so bad right now - especially for high end cars. A lot of people seem to be forced to sell them. So, as much as I hate to make out off of someone else's misfortune, you might be able to pick up a steal of a deal elsewhere...

E39s are awesome, and if you pick up a well maintained one, they'll give loads of service, and most of all, fun.
    1998 528i
    1992 325i (For Sale)
    150K miles

My Cars
    2000 528i
    :

Thanks for the thoughtful responses guys, I appreciate it much. I definitely do not want to fall into a bad car, even if its a 5 series. I think I will look around as suggested. I'll keep you guys posted!!!!

My Cars
    tank
    yah, be patience... unless it truly unique, its a dime a dozen... good luck
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.